• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Monk View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...dex-_-56119012

This code was listed in the ad:
    EMCYTZT421
    RATS ... ... Sold Out
    Dick
    HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

• I picked one of these up a few days ago to migrate my HS box too (Currently sitting on a beast of a machine that sits totally idle) and am curious if anyone has done anything relating to video on this style machine? For example I plan to put about 4-5 cameras around the house/yard. Would this machine be able to run Zoneminder for that many? If I used this as nothing but a Homeseer/File Server would it have the power to run HS and server up files (Most of my file serving is streaming video files to my PS3's via PS3 media server, so there is a little overhead there).

Just curious as I am trying to reduce my computer power draw as much as I can, so if I can get down to 2, or even 3 of these as opposed to the pair of quad core 8GB beasts that I have now drawing 150 watts a piece and heating up the house, it would be a win.

Comment

• Personally the CPU draw is greater on the IPCamera stuff versus the analogue stuff.

I am not sure how Zoneminder will do with the Atom510; I think there might be some folks though that have tried it on the ZM forum.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
        HS4 Pro - V4.0.9.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

• Thanks pete, I will try over there.

I am interested in hearing what anyone else has used this box for sO I can get an idea of what people are successfully using this box for!

Comment

• Sorry for the long delay on this......

I am running 3 cameras (Foscam IP) off one of the Foxconn D510 systems using WebcamXP. CPU does take a hit but system is operating just fine. I am about ready to migrate to Blue Iris (special right now for $40/up to 64 cameras). Its still Windows based. I would think Zoneminder on Linux is going to use CPU and memory resources more efficiently than Win7.

I have a test FreeBSD box thats a Pentium 3 with 256MB RAM. I may try Zoneminder on this and see how it works....

-Ray

Comment

• Playing with additional serial ports via Quatech QSE-100 devices. I have not tried combining both Digi Edgeports and the Quatech QSE-100 on the Homeseer server. I have been using the Quatech QSE-100's for a couple of years now.

Initially adding one then two for a total of 26 comm ports.
              Attached Files
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
              HS4 Pro - V4.0.9.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
              HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

• Suffered my first outage yesterday on the Foxconn. Hard drive crash. I guess the fault starts with me as I re-purposed a slightly old 500GB SATA drive that already had a couple years of service in it.

So good news was that I backup my HS2 system via WHS. The restore process took many hours mostly in learning mode for me. In the end, restore ended up being fairly straight forward and worked 100% perfectly.

I've replaced the hard drive with a 2.5 hot swap cage and a brand new 320GB WD drive. I downloaded the latest WHS recovery CD (iso) from Microsoft and created a bootable usb drive and installed the ISO file. This was an interesting process that I finally foudn soem instructions via YouTube for using xcopy after mounting the iso via virtual clone drive. Discovered that this iso did not contain the correct LAN drivers for the Foxcomm MB. Downloaded the latest drivers and installed on another USB drive. The WHS recovery process actually allows you to load additional drivers as part of the install. Once this was corrected, the restore went perfectly taking only 30minutes. Rebooted the system and back online!

Im going to write a separate document on how to backup and restore HS2 via WHS for those that may be interested.

-Ray

Comment

• Please do, I'd be very interested.

Originally posted by rrepic View Post

Im going to write a separate document on how to backup and restore HS2 via WHS for those that may be interested.

-Ray
                  Don

Comment

• Curious; what hot swap 2.5" cage are you utilizing?
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    HS4 Lite -

Comment

• Hi Pete
                      I did a slight modification so that I could use the 5.25 slot vs the 3.5 slot. I found I didnt have enough space behind the 3.5 slot due to the original power supply - which I am still using.

So I added:
                      <DD>BYTECC Bracket-535 5.25" Metal Tray for 2.5", 3.5" HDD/Slim DVD </DD>
                      Now for the 2.5 to 3.5 hot swap (single 2.5 drive) cage, I need to double check. I cannot remember which brand and it doesnt show up in my newegg order history (which surprises me as I order 99.99% of my kit from newegg..). Ill look tonight and update this...

-Ray

Comment

• Great idea Ray! What I like about the Foxconn is that the MB is replaceable should you need to every want to upgrade or fix it. On the Shuttle its not as easy to fix. I have two older Shuttle mini towers that are collecting dust (I should just throw them out) because the MB's are a bit propietary and not really standard mITX boards (think the newer mini towers are though).

My setup has a large footprint now with a full size CD/DVD Rom and the 2-drive raid hotswap cage on the left. Inside its just that miniature PS sitting on the Atom Motherboard. I do the same as NewEgg has just about anything at a good price. Fry's (locally) has some good sales but there on the shelf stuff is usually more expensive than NewEgg's over the internet pricing. When I order I typically print the invoice to PDF for archival purposes for my own self for whatever reason.

I recently (its been months now) purchased a small footprint 4 drive case for a new NAS. The only thing is the PS is also large and I am looking for a hotswap SATA setup that will fit in front of the PS. Not having good luck though. I am using a 3Ware cage in another case; with the cooling fans in the back it uses a large footprint.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        HS4 Lite -

Comment

• I am trying to stay simple and small for the HS2 system. I looked into the dual 2.5 hot swap cage but couldnt figure out why I would want 2 drives. I like the 2.5 hot swap (per a note I think I saw in your post) it allows you to have a couple different build to play with where you can easily swap back and forth. I did purchase a copy of Acronis ($20 with the last hard drive purchase) but WHS backup/restore was so straight forward and worked perfectly, not sure I will change this for now.

I would love to see more small, purpose built appliances in the $150 range. PicoPSU, low power, Atom dual core type systems seem perfect for me.

-Ray

Comment

• Ray,

I used the same methodology for the CarPC stuff. I do an image to the second drive such that if I have a failure I can also enable the second drive.

I use a couple of different programs to backup. The drive image program is called Snapshot. It creates an entire drive image that can be restored to another PC or drive. Very similiar to the WHS methods.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            HS4 Lite -

Comment

• Nice ... Ill have to lookup Snapshot..
                              Thanks Pete!

-Ray

Comment

• BTW

I had some lightning damage occur with some of the HA stuff connected to Homeseer. I have yet to utilize the two legacy analog serial ports on the Foxconn. My setup is still the one Digi 7 port USB hub to two Digi 8 port Edgeports. I lost a couple of ports on the Digi boxes and my two Rain8Nets (after 8 years of running well).

I'm guessing right now if I had used the serial ports for say the Rain8Nets or one of my 1-wire networks I would have lost the serial ports and maybe the Foxconn due to lightning damage.
                                - Pete

Auto mator
                                HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
                                X