No announcement yet.

Story: Kindle Fire may force Android tablet makers to cut prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see Rogers (Canada) is offering a FREE 10.1" Samsung Galaxy Tab (worth $679) with the activation of two SmartPhones on a 3 yr plan. $149 with one phone.
    I've never really needed a Cell Phone, but thinking seriously.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
      I see Rogers (Canada) is offering a FREE 10.1" Samsung Galaxy Tab (worth $679) with the activation of two SmartPhones on a 3 yr plan. $149 with one phone.
      I've never really needed a Cell Phone, but thinking seriously.
      Three years is a long time in todays technology time lines. By then your phone would be like a '48 Studebaker. We have one of the Galaxy 4G tabs here at work and the battery life is very disappointing. If the Android based hardware manufactures want to compete with the iPads they must come up with better battery life. We get less than 4 hours just testing apps. Video less then 2 hours. On the good side the 4G is very fast. Must faster than our wireless.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for that Rupp.
        Back to "I don't really need a phone"

Probably around Christmas, the prices could drop anyway. If not, there's always Boxing Day sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
          .... If not, there's always Boxing Day sales.
          Even as someone who lives and works north of Windsor, Ontario, I still don't get Boxing Day. Is there a patron saint of discounts involved, or something
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
            Even as someone who lives and works north of Windsor, Ontario, I still don't get Boxing Day. Is there a patron saint of discounts involved, or something
            It's become a means for stores to unload the excess inventory that didn't sell before Christmas. I'm not going to complain. I can pick up, for instance, the previous years Kaspersky Internet Security for $5.00 at Future Shop, and use the license with the current years s/w. The package is regularly $80 or more.
            Perhaps this year, a decent tablet for half price or less.

Comment

Sounds like time for me to finally put my enhanced drivers license to use
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                Three years is a long time in todays technology time lines. By then your phone would be like a '48 Studebaker. We have one of the Galaxy 4G tabs here at work and the battery life is very disappointing. If the Android based hardware manufactures want to compete with the iPads they must come up with better battery life. We get less than 4 hours just testing apps. Video less then 2 hours. On the good side the 4G is very fast. Must faster than our wireless.
                my wife won a gtab wifi in a fundraising raffle for our kids' school and battery life is good. typically 8 hours of app usage. now i'm in no hurry to drop cm7 on our touchpads.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  From what I am reading; it might be the Android tablet that becomes the most popular Christmas gift this holiday season.
                  yup and it's looking like it'll be the kindle fire:

http://goo.gl/0CaCU
                  http://goo.gl/29SOo
                  http://goo.gl/gWxj1

let see if it lives up to the hype.

disclaimer: i am long amazon prime

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                    4G will eat the battery, along with bluetooth and wifi. If you dont actively use all at the same time, disable the radios on the ones you dont need. After radio usage, the display is next big battery eater. Setting auto-brightness or setting the brightness down low will also help.
                    HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
                    68 Z-Wave Nodes, 174 Events, 326 Devices
                    UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
                    Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
                    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                      4G will eat the battery, along with bluetooth and Wifi. If you dont actively use all at the same time, disable the radios on the ones you dont need. After radio usage, the display is next big battery eater. Setting auto-brightness or setting the brightness down low will also help.
                      Yea, I knew that the 4G was the culprit ( bluetooth and Wifi are off most of the time) but we really have no choice during our testing. Oddly enough the iPad doesn't exhibit the same behavior so it has to be the battery. I wonder if Apple uses a different technology in their battery or the OS is more battery friendly.
                      -Rupp
                      sigpic

Comment

By the way, I got my kindle fire today. It seems to work fine with HSTouch. HSTouch isn't in the store, but you can load the software from this forum.
                        Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Working...
                        X