The Raspberry Pi computer goes on general sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Raspberry Pi computer goes on general sale

It looks like the market space loaded with plug computers and NetDuions is becoming more diluted. Differentiation for application will be the thing to figure out. Its certainly something to think about right now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17190918

Excerpts:
    Paul

Been waiting for this for a while, there was a discussion about them on here a while ago and the possible HS uses for them. No real surprise I was not lucky this morning (I was up anyway) but surprised they took Farnell's server offline, when I logged into RS at about 07:30 it was also very very slow. Heres hoping I might get one in a couple of months when the dust has settled, I have a feeling they will not be able to keep up with demand.

Comment

Comment

I've just placed an pre-order with Farnell, we'll see how long it takes for me to get one - it says stock expected in 30 days but I doubt this will be the case...

Comment

I saw this on Google News and was going to post it here and see what everyone thought ..but someone already beat me too it

It looks cool. I wonder if we could use it to run a touchscreen!??

Comment

Originally posted by Rob2791 View Post
            I saw this on Google News and was going to post it here and see what everyone thought ..but someone already beat me too it

It looks cool. I wonder if we could use it to run a touchscreen!??
            That is going to be my first test for it, I already run HSTouch on Linux platforms (albeit the hardware is a bit more generous - the O2 Joggler) so I think it would make an ideal platform albeit you would need to buy the screen. All sorts of uses, some sort of speaker client, weather station server that sort of stuff.

Comment

Looking forward to getting this also. There is talk that an XBMC plugin is underway already. That would make for a really cheap HD media player. Also I am wondering about the GPIO header on the board and whether the I/O could be used via homeseer with some work.

About the Touch Screen Application, I am not 100% but I think there is only HDMI and RCA video outputs which may not easily integrate to standard touch screens.

Comment

XBMC, now that's an interesting application. If the RP's application is to just pump the video and audio to outputs, and no other functions to support (OS, Desktop), it's conceivable.

Looking forward to what this device will mean
                Paul

Comment

Would love to see how it runs HS touch client. This would be awesome to put in a room for speaker client interaction.
                  Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

It does have a USB port on it, so it is not inconceivable that a USB touchscreen could be used with this device. Like a Mimo monitor or something similar.

I think the AppleTV hack, the XBMC, and the GPIO's are the most promising
                    HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

at this price this could be used as a speaker client, VR would be awesome too

Comment

Mine is scheduled for delivery week commencing the 21/05/12, I am not going to place too much hope on it arriving then. No idea what I am going to do with it yet though...

Comment

So whatever came of this? Did anyone get it working with HA?

Comment

Mine is ment to be arriving late November, I think something like 12 - 16 weeks it has taken so far so very popular.

That said i ordered a few more in preparation, my use will be XBMC on them linked in with my NAS, and as a trial I have XBMC on an appleTV to test my system setup which should hopefully work well.

My thought is to have an ATI remote for each TV (RF Remote) which i currently have one of, this is picked up by the RFXCOM receiver and is used to either control the TV, or the XBMC device through HTTP calls, so that my wife can pick up a remote, pick Web and the RFXCOM receiver will receive it, the Homeseer server will know which AV input is selected based on it being the sole controller, and will use the Global Cache device to switch to appropriate input etc.

All movies etc reside on a LAN based NAS so it in test allows for easy streaming of a range of movies, now just need the Raspberry Pi's to arrive so i can start setting those up.
                            HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
                              So whatever came of this? Did anyone get it working with HA?
                              I got HSTouch running on it, should really try it again with the newer builds of linux and see whether the slight graphics issues have been sorted out. If it was connected to a touchscreen (rather than my TV) I would say it would be useable as a HSTouch client.

Comment

Working...
                              X