Corrupt files everywhere!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupt files everywhere!!!

I was having issues with my HS PC so I recently wiped everything out and started over. This morning I discovered that windows found many corrupt files which ended up getting deleted with chkdsk. I remember seeing something like this a long time ago with my previous build but just one or two files. Maybe that was the cause for previous issues as well?

Anyway it seems to me that the hard drive must be the culprit unless I'm missing something else. Currently HS is missing too many files to even work right. I'm thinking about replacing the hard drive and starting over again.

Do you guys have a preference on drives like solid states or anything?
    I currently have a a traditional SATA drive 250G.

Any advise would be appreciated...
    HSPro on a Supermicro Atom|Z-Net
    Elo touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets, Xbox One
    Global Cach/Ultra-GCIR | Etherrain | Jon00 | Sonos | Blue Iris | URC Whole Home Remotes | Philips Hue | Nest | Grandstream | Leviton | Aeon Labs | Cooper | Kwikset | Evolve | Envisalink/DSC | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

I've got Western Digital hard drives that are 15 years old so I tend to stick with them.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

I was kind of leaning towards that as well. It's just that with all the SSD talk these days I wasn't sure one would be convincingly better than the other for what I need.

It's so frustrating. I spent that last two days rebuilding HS only to have this issue now and have to start over again...
      Global Cach/Ultra-GCIR | Etherrain | Jon00 | Sonos | Blue Iris | URC Whole Home Remotes | Philips Hue | Nest | Grandstream | Leviton | Aeon Labs | Cooper | Kwikset | Evolve | Envisalink/DSC | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Yes, any time I take the time to rebuild (which hasn't happend in 6 years and it's time) I start with new hardware just to take that out of the equation. That's what makes the HomeTrollers desirable. They are a good piece of hardware that takes some of the guess work out of the hardware side of the equation.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

I agree with Rupp re the WD drives. They're solid.
          I personally think the SSD's are still in their infancy. They'll likely improve vastly over the next couple of years, and the prices will probably become more attractive in that time as well. Of course, by that time the next technology may come along too... Crystal storage?
          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I went ahead and threw a wd in there. Guess i know what im doin tonight...

Comment

Let me just say I'm very frustrated with HS right now.

I rebuilt my PC then installed everything and got it all running but I had a hell of time with my new ztroller. I restored my original backup of the ztroller and found that half of my devices were missing in the backup. So then I thought I might as well start over with that too. I selected erase all for the ztroller and reset it. Then I went and deleted/added all my devices back to it. That turned into a disaster. Nodes were added with the wrong devices and based on my notes I could track that back to what my node numbers and devices were previously. It wouldn't let go of that old data leading me to believe the erase function does not work properly. I almost gave up and reached for my Zstick. It never gave me any problems!!!

I spent the entire night trying to fix all these errors and issues. I think I have it now but will have to check in the morning. I'm just too tired to look any more.

Days like this make me wonder if I have found the best HA solution. Not trying to sound like a bitch but man its been a long night!!!

Comment

Mario,

Best not to get frustrated. Sometimes its better to walk away from it for a bit; then look at it again with fresh eyes the next day.

The issue with the drive can happen with just about any manufactured drive these days. I've seen the warranties starting to go back to the 5 year range from the 1 year and the 3 year range. I try to purchase the same drives for the Raid arrays I have and did see one go within a month of purchase. Typically a full partition recovery will get you back to a point in time where you had stability.

Day before yesterday I turned on a box that had been using two USB devices for the OS (one CF Drive and one USB stick). It was very redundant. It didn't boot. Looking at the USB stick it was totally trashed. After a bit and much frustration I went to a back up image of the USB stick (4Gb) and all was well. Many of my new smaller footprint PCs are set up with Raid 1 dual 1.5" SATA drives and have done OK. I put small drive cages in the two new HS boxes such that I could do either hot swapping or raid 1 with these using either regular SATA or newer SSD SATA. The newest MythTV box has both a miniPCie slot (for SSD or whatever) and Sata in a small footprint. I was thinking of putting the base Ubuntu OS on a small SSD (like maybe a 16Gb) and keeping a larger 1-2Tb 2.5" drive for media recordings. While not yet trying the 64Gb and up SSD drives I did purchase a "few" of the 16/32 ZIF SSD drives and they are doing well. My little netbook has an SSD drive in it and its still doing fine from what I can see for the last two years.

Yesterday I was testing some video stuff on one panel subsection and and in a rush tripped over a test cable in another panel subsection in my basement. That said I pulled off a terminal strip from the HAI OPII nearly causing a short in my panel. I have historically shorted out one OPII by connecting its power cables to the wrong terminals in the dark. (not a good thing to do as I did see a spark and a flame for just a bit).

We relaxed (a suggestion to you) last night and watched an old movie (Cujo - Stephen King) after a house full of guests (pre pre Thanksgiving Day dinner).
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
                HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
                HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                X