Vlans and subnets - suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vlans and subnets - suggestions?

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction - whether through experience or a good website.

I have four ip cameras, an HS server, another multi-purpose server, two laptops, a few iPads, and two touch screens all connecting to the same wireless access point - an Apple AirPort Extreme. That is hooked up to a DSL modem.

I don't know if there's correlation, but our Internet seems to get very slow when I bring those cameras online. (Our Internet is slow to begin with.)

I'm wondering if I should be putting those cameras in another segment on my network? (Pardon my ignorance) I've read and seen discussions on this board about vlans and different subnets, but I am not sure which I need, if either.

I do have a couple of wireless routers on which I've installed DD-WRT, so I am pretty sure I have the technology to do this. I am must wondering if it's worth the time and effort.

I'll add that I know just enough to be dangerous (to my own network) - so please talk in English. :-) I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks!

Brian

Sent using Tapatalk HD

When you say "bring those cameras online", do you mean viewing the cameras from an Internet device or a local device on the same network?

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Actually, when I power them up and they connect to the network. At that point, HS does poll them for pictures every couple of hours (or when needed based on security events.) Our HS Touch-powered touch screens also can view them, but that's only when we explicitly load the screens that call for the ip camera images.

I forgot to mention, I do also have a Hopper from Dish Network, an Apple TV, and a Roku wirelessly going to the Airport Extreme as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

I have a simliar setup with several Netgear switches and an Apple AirPort Extreme for my wireless devices. I don't have any VLANs defined, but I do connect devices that chat with each other to the same physical switch.

It is difficult to make suggestions without a network diagram and an understanding of what is actually causing the slowdown.

Are you using wired or wireless cameras?
        What is the make/model of your network switches?
        Is the slowdown you are experiencing only accessing the Internet or other devices on the network?
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Thanks so much for hanging with me.

My DSL modem/router supplied by CenturyLink does all my routing. I have the AirPort Extreme plugged into that for broadcasting.

My IP cameras are wireless. I am not using any other switches.

We experience slowdown on both internal devices and the Internet. There are times that things run pretty well, but mostly we are slow.

Unfortunately, the point where the Internet enters our house is not in the automation wiring closet, so I have to rely on wireless for everything. I would really like to get that line into the closet so at least my two servers are hard-wired and let the rest be wireless.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Separating your network into VLANs won't solve your problem. VLANs logically separate the traffic, so it's still fighting for the same wireless router. You have a lot of wireless devices connected, and they're all contending for bandwidth. Your collision rate is probably pretty high, especially when you bring the cameras up.

What I suggest is getting a second wireless access point and configuring it with a different SSID. Put the cameras on the WAP and I think you'll see your situation dramatically improve.
            HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
            Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
            Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
            Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by bpm32 View Post
              My DSL modem/router supplied by CenturyLink does all my routing. I have the AirPort Extreme plugged into that for broadcasting.
              Does this mean that the modem and router functions are in the same box?

In addition to adding a WAP (which I agree should go a long way to solve your immediate problem), if it is physically possible to run wire from the entry point of your DSL line to the wiring closet it would also be very helpful to get wired LAN there. Ideally, it could be Cat 5 from the modem to the router. But if they are combined, then either the telephone company may have to extend the DSL line, or you could run a line from the router to a switch in your closet. That would at least allow your LAN to operate off a fast switch, so data interchange on the LAN wouldn't all have to be wireless.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

It would seem from your description that the dish equipment (hopper/joey) would use a significantly larger bandwidth than anything else on your network.

I have a similar setup using DirecTv equipment, and I isolate the TV traffic by placing all of my DirecTv equipment (3 DVRs, 5 total receivers) on the same switch by themselves. This allows them to send data to each other without affecting the rest of the network devices.

I don't know if just placing the joey/hoppers on a different wireless access point is sufficient (don't know if there is an internal 'switch'). You might need to place a switch between your AP and your router.

tenholde
                tenholde

Comment

Thanks so much to everyone for your suggestions. I have added a second Airport Extreme broadcasting a different SSID. I've moved only the laptops and tablets to the first Airport and the remaining devices to the second Airport. We definitely notice a difference now internally, and somewhat to the outside world. Again, our Internet is slow, and not always so steady.

I think I'll just bite the bullet and run the DSL line into the wiring closet. Been wanting to do that for some time - this will push me over the edge.

Can one have too many WAPs? I was thinking of adding another strictly for the cameras, using one for "human" traffic, and the third for HS, TV, etc. (We don't have any Joeys at this point, but I can't rule that out in the future.)

Any recommendations on good small switches? Again, I do have a few WAPs/routers that I had upgraded the firmware to DD-WRT, so maybe I can just use one of those instead of buying a switch.

I feel like I need a degree in IT to straighten out what I'm doing here. lol

Thanks again!

Comment

I'd be careful about adding any additional routers. That would break your network into different sub-nets. Not all traffic, specifically broadcast packets (file and printer sharing, audio/video serving, etc) do not readily cross sub-net boundaries.

Switches, on the other hand, pass nearly all traffic, maintaining tables of where on the network IP addresses reside and only send packets to the correct branch. This allows you to isolate high device-to-device traffic from the rest of your network.

tenholde
                    tenholde

Comment

unless he meant router being used as an access point.

:-)

--Dan
                      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Yep, I just have one router.

Based on the suggestions in this thread, I have added a second wireless access point that has really helped.

I was thinking of adding a third wireless access point broadcasting a third SSID for just the cameras. All three wireless access points would be plugged into my one router.

Comment

just be careful that they are on different channels, and that the area around you is not saturated. In my house, I'd like to move to 5GHz, except that some hardware in my house does not support that.

on the 2Ghz spectrum, I can pickup no less than 30 networks. of those, I would estimate that there are at least 15 that directly interfere with me (same channel, or are just on the wrong channels, so I can't move to something better). And when the neighbors are on, man, they are ON. My wifi speeds go from 1.2Mb/s to 100-200Kb/s.

In the 5Ghz range, there is only one. "default". lol I guess they didn't know they left 5Ghz on.

--Dan
                          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

What about QoS?

Isn't QoS the salient tech that should be used to "solve" this problem?

I believe you can use this to essentially limit how much bandwidth different types of network traffic are allowed to use on your network.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                            Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                            Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                              Isn't QoS the salient tech that should be used to "solve" this problem?

I believe you can use this to essentially limit how much bandwidth different types of network traffic are allowed to use on your network.
                              I tried enabling QoS on a router with DD-WRT. My goal was to give RDP a higher priority than netflix (so I could VPN into my work computer while netflix streaming) but QoS made both RDP and netflix unusable.

Anyone have any thoughts on QoS?
                              HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
                              64 Z-Wave Nodes, 168 Events, 280 Devices
                              UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
                              Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
                              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Working...
                              X