No announcement yet.

Vlans and subnets - suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off let me say that I am not an expert on this subject, and my understanding is peripheral.

Here goes:

QoS will require the network device to prioritize network traffic based on the type of traffic it is. If we are talking about internet bandwidth then the network device would be the gateway (the thing that does NAT). In your case I assume this is some type of WiFi router flashed with DD-WRT.

If this is the case, then I would check to see if your DD-WRT hardware can actually handle QoS. What I am thinking is that even though DD-WRT gives you the ability to utilize QoS bandwidth prioritization, the hardware you are running it on is not powerful enough to keep up.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
      First off let me say that I am not an expert on this subject, and my understanding is peripheral.

Here goes:

QoS will require the network device to prioritize network traffic based on the type of traffic it is. If we are talking about internet bandwidth then the network device would be the gateway (the thing that does NAT). In your case I assume this is some type of WiFi router flashed with DD-WRT.

If this is the case, then I would check to see if your DD-WRT hardware can actually handle QoS. What I am thinking is that even though DD-WRT gives you the ability to utilize QoS bandwidth prioritization, the hardware you are running it on is not powerful enough to keep up.
      ah - it could be. When I noticed that QoS crippled RDP and netflix, I quickly disabled it. I might have to play around with that again.
      HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
      68 Z-Wave Nodes, 174 Events, 326 Devices
      UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
      Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Whilst not subnetting, I ended up connecting some DD-WRT routers to my main router, as switches / AP's (not using the router functionality). This allowed be to create one network (SecuNet) which i use for all of my security cameras, another for a wireless bridge (and other client devices that side of the house), and another on the other side of the house.

I have a significant number of wireless devices (6 wireless cameras, two iphones, ipad, laptops, jogglers etc) and have not noticed any major issues.

I have not had to play with QOS, but that said i have ethernet cables running to all of the AP's / Switches.

The bonus to DD-WRT (or similar builds) is that you can create entirely isolated networks so that your guests can access the internet, but not your home network devices (if required).
        HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Here I have a software firewall on a box with multiple network cards.

I am looking towards moving towards some internet pipe load balancing with same set up and different software.

With physically autonomous networks on the inside though you can create rules sets for different networks inside while still having them talk to each other.

I do not see getting much benefits from VLAN use at home.

I have utilized QOS providing internet to the neighbors a few years ago. They were waiting for their broadband connectivity. Here I set up a wireless to wireless connection giving them a 128kps pipe using a DD-WRT wireless bridge. Worked fine.

Gettting back to the OP and related bandwidth issues. Streaming video will utilize much bandwidth. Streaming on wireless really is a whole new set of rules and will typically consume a wireless pipe. That said QOS would most likely be detrimental to the wireless pipe.

Ideally an autonomous wired network would work the best. Still though the bottleneck will be at your internet connection such that if you do much streaming directly from the internet to say one or two devices that will consume much of your pipe and will slow down any other stuff you are doing on the internet.

The IP cameras would most likely utilize less bandwidth than the streaming devices on the network. If you are IP HD streaming though that will ding your bandwidth utilization especially if it was wireless. Best to actually check it with the free tools available on the internet for checking bandwidth utilization.
          Last edited by Pete; February 19th, 2013, 08:59 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Pro - V4.0.9.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X