Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find MS to be "unnecessarily complex"
    Yup.

One of my "time" endeavors related to the first changed DST stuff; and the hiccups mostly related to MS time changes or not; that in itself cause some major email issues (Lotus Notes et al stuff). During the change though we did lose the internet; therefore the time sync went off and caused all sorts of issues. I did say and push my little internal time sync thing; no one listened though.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Pro - V4.0.7.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

nslookup if I understand correctly will sometimes but not always use your local DNS configuration. Even on my Macs I get different results with nslookup vs ping or any other applications that use standard name resolution. My assumption is that nslookup is going directly to the root name servers.

Regarding time sync, this is an area that has always been difficult with MS. I have always just run a local Linux stratum 2 time server (currently on my Vyatta firewall) and synced my network off of that. Even still it's sometimes difficult to get the Windows machines to sync up.
      HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Been trying to follow this, but having trouble.

Interesting, all the same.

:-)
        Don

Comment

Don,

When the whole DST time change dates changed in 2007, MS had posted patches to update the NTP stuff on wintel devices.

If the computers were not up to date and patched the auto time DST stuff would not have worked.

Many companies sort of ignored the push for the updates and then blamed MS for the debaucle that followed. Other companies blamed MS for a botched DST patch.

There were rumors though that the patches were incorrect and that MS backpedaled some right after the time change.

The patches worked for me.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Pro - V4.0.7.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Thought I had this fixed, but I didn't. Tried setting up Tardis 2000 but the log says that the program is getting no response back. This is on two machines.

Pete, I'm assuming that there is a way to use some other protocol as there is a http tab which is asking for the proxy name, and uses port 81. I have no idea
            what to use for a proxy name, the Machine Name?

I am thinking that port 123 is locked somewhere between my Satellite provider and I, but I have no way to test that theory.

Puzzled...
            Don

Comment

Don,

Have a read here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

You can do a port scan on your internet IP address. There are a couple of ways to do that.

BTW did a quick search on NTP time sync with your satellite provider and it appears from the threads that there is no issues relating to time sync. That noted check your firewall / port settings. You can test initially by taking one PC with Tardis and just open up the firewall to it for a short time and see if Tardis gets NTP from the internet. If it does adjust your firewall to allow port 123 UDP. There are also legacy ports utilized for time sync.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol

For a reasonable price you can also buy an old cheap serial GPS and connect it to your Homeseer box and get time from multiple GPS satellites. Use the Tardis service to read get the time sync from the GPS and have all of your computers get their time sync from the Homeseer box. I am currently using a GPS antenna in the attic today. You would get better time sync from a GPS.

Originally I was extending the GPS antenna from the roof to the basement. Today just extending the RS-232 from the GPS and antenna in the attic to the basement NTP server.

On another endeavor moving the NTP server to the PFSense firewall in the next few months.

Moving some cables around this morning; connected a terminal program to serial port (moving it for a minute or so) this is what I see.

A 9 satellite view isn't too shabby considering the GPS is in the attic.

$GPGGA
              Global Positioning System Fix Data

$GPGGA,133958.03,4134.4416,N,08800.6315,W,1,09,0.8,00220,M,, ,,*30

Time 133958 13:39:58 UTC
              Latitude 4134.4416, N
              Longitude 08800.6315,W
              Fix Quality:
              - 0 = Invalid
              - 1 = GPS fix *
              - 2 = DGPS fix 1 Data is from a GPS fix
              Number of Satellites 09 9 Satellites are in view
              Horizontal Dilution of Precision (HDOP) .8 Relative accuracy of horizontal position
              Altitude 00220,M above mean sea level
              Height of geoid above WGS84 ellipsoid -30.0, M -30.0 meters
              Time since last DGPS update blank No last update
              DGPS reference station id blank No station id
              Checksum *75 Used by program to check for transmission errors
              Last edited by Pete; October 7th, 2013, 11:36 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
              X