Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding a programme to startup in Windows 8 - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a programme to startup in Windows 8 - Solved!

Upgraded my personal PC to Win 8, not my HS PC.

Everything works great including the speaker client, however, I cannot work out how to start the speaker client automatically when the PC starts as there is no Start menu.

Anyone know how to do this and also how to change the default system voice?

Thanks,
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"
    HomeSeer 3 V 3.0.0.318 with ALEXA (AKA Amazon Echo)
    BL Radar V2.0.217; BLRF V2.0.85.0; HS Touch V3.0.0.1034 X10 V3.0.0.42; PHLocation V3.0.0.38; Zwave V3.0.1.110; X10 V3.0.0.42
    BLBackup V2.0.39;ImperiHome3.0.0.20 All on Windows XP Pro

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
    Upgraded my personal PC to Win 8, not my HS PC.

Everything works great including the speaker client, however, I cannot work out how to start the speaker client automatically when the PC starts as there is no Start menu.

Anyone know how to do this and also how to change the default system voice?

Thanks,
    It is the same, only different

Try this tutorial.
    Randy Prade
    Aurora, CO
    Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

For some unknown reason startup isn't enough here on Windows 8.1.

I had to make a .cmd to start Homeseer and then add the .cmd to startup.

Regards
      Morten

Comment

I just purchased a Windows 8 box to run HS2, which is on a very old XP box. Hadn't done the transfer yet, but saw your note and you saved me the frustration of trying to figure out where the startup folder went.

I found this article on a utility that looks good -
        http://www.cnet.com/how-to/free-star...uilt-in-tools/

And this one that gives a couple of ways of managing startup programs -
        http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

Barry

Comment

I use one or the other. I did do a "show hidden files" on the folder view.

1 - C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\St art Menu\Programs\Startup
          2 - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
          Playing here with 32 bit Windows 8.1. I did redo the startup such that it goes to the desktop instead of Metro. I am doing this on an 800X480 display and still cannot get the Metro aps to work doing the registry tweaking. I understand that that they do default to a 1078 pixel sized screen. I do though keep pulling up the Metro apps touching the right side of the screen except for when HSTouch is running.

That said its an HSTouch screen and I do now have Jon's remote and HSTouch loading fine. I installed 32 bit Neospeech and that too works fine.

The HSTouch build is running fine; better than Windows 7 such that I think its a bit more lite and seems a bit better than XP SP3 (which was a combo of XP Pro and Tablet).

I can suspend the device. Doing a WOL wake up reboots it; but it works using an Asix USB to NIC device.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Pete; April 13th, 2014, 06:23 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Pro - V4.0.9.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            It is the same, only different

Try this tutorial.
            That must be the statement of the year so far.

Thanks, so simple and worked like a treat.
            sigpic
            A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"
            HomeSeer 3 V 3.0.0.318 with ALEXA (AKA Amazon Echo)
            BL Radar V2.0.217; BLRF V2.0.85.0; HS Touch V3.0.0.1034 X10 V3.0.0.42; PHLocation V3.0.0.38; Zwave V3.0.1.110; X10 V3.0.0.42
            BLBackup V2.0.39;ImperiHome3.0.0.20 All on Windows XP Pro

Comment

Working...
            X