Help me select a RAID card......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me select a RAID card......

I am interested in installing a RAID card to my HS server, but I have no idea of what I need and what specifications should I be looking for. Currently I have installed a 300 GB hard drive with two other 80 GB HD.

I am planning to make a RAID1 set up, any help is appreciated thank you
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Hector,

What are you looking at getting out of your raid 1 set up?
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

i want to secure that in case of a hard disk failure, i can keep HS up and running with whole operating system and all.
      Hector
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Any advice Pete?
        Hector
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Well here I have two HS2 boxes running on Windows Server 2003 standard.

Note that these two Homeseer servers sit on a rack and I only manage them remotely mostly; never really pay much attention to them these days. They are low power as I am using pico PSU's with them.

The two boxes are set up for Raid as I have added one SATA Raid controller to each box.

I have also installed a "hot swap" SATA drive cage in each for testing purposes.

IE: Tested Windows server 20XX this way, Windows 7, etc.

The above said I also have the HS root partitions set to 20 Gb but they are only using 10 Gb.

I did this for quick image snapshots which currently take maybe 10 minutes to run.

If you took the two smallest drives and created a hardware Raid 1 with them you would one duplicate of the other should one fail.

You could also purchase a 2 drive drive cage for front access to hot swap the two drives if you computer case has the room.

OR

You can fit a two drive 2.5" cage in a 3.5" drive slot and switch over to two 2.5" SATA drives (whatever you want to do).

RAID 1 comprises mirroring (without parity or striping). Data are written identically to two (or more) drives, thereby producing a "mirrored set". The read request is serviced by any of the drives containing the requested data. This can improve performance if data is read from the disk with the least seek latency and rotational latency. Conversely, write performance can be degraded because all drives must be updated; thus the write performance is determined by the slowest drive. The array continues to operate as long as at least one drive is functioning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

BTW purchased two 160Gb new laptop drives recently for $15 each. These were purchased for the purpose of testing HS.

I have Windows 8.1 running on a Joggler. Attached is a picture.

This was a total Windows 8.1 installation with no thinning out or mods of any sort.

It is installed on a 16Gb SSD drive. Homeseer wouldn't use up that much more space such that 16Gb would work and is really a reasonably priced solution.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Pete; April 18th, 2014, 10:06 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Hector,

I'll write something on Sunday when I have a few mins. This should be easy to locate you a card that will meet your current hardware.

Charlie

Sent from my htc Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
            HSPro: 3.0.0.194
            PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
            HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
              i want to secure that in case of a hard disk failure, i can keep HS up and running with whole operating system and all.
              Thanks Bang on. Raid 1 is a simple fail safe against Hard Drive failures and should be used in-conjunction with a complete hard drive backup once per week to counter software failures such as bad installs or virus.

Hectors not worries for speed here as his machine Only functions as a HS server with no other purpose.

You have an older motherboard that will Only accept a PCI connection. Not the new PCI Express.

Also those 2 small hard drives that you bought from my suggestion are an IDE connection and not Sata. That wont kill your potential of finding a raid card, but it might limit.

Summary, Your RAID card must support a PCI connection and IDE Hard Drives. It has to be a Bootable Raid Card so you can run you OS.

New Egg and the Tiger didn't have very much. Looking on Amazon the possibility are much greater. Look around and read the review.

Heres a starting lead. http://www.amazon.com/VT6421A-3-Port...pr_product_top

Read all the reviews for each product. You can ask questions both here or even the actual owners through the Amazon Product Page.

Charlie
              PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
              HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Looking on Ebay I see a SILICON IMAGE SIL0680 IDE RAID 2 PORT PCI Card for $11.50 used shipped free and an LSI Logic PL05 1101 SER511 Quad IDE for $8.70 shipped free.

These cards never fail. Historically used them and never had an issue with them running 24/7.

I currently using an IBM M1015 (which is an LSI) SATA III 8 port raid card which I purchased used now for some 3 years. LSI make nice Raid cards.

A used IDE raid card will boot into the RAID BIOS. You need to start from scratch.

You put the two 80 Gb IDE drives in the RAID 1 configuration. Its a different BIOS. Very basic and will show two IDE connected drives. Thinking a two port IDE raid card will only show the configuration for a Raid 1 or a no Raid configuration (for just two drives)

From here you have two ways to use the new Raid 1 configuration.

1 - start from scratch; the RAID 1 will look like a new single drive
                2 - if you image your 80 Gb drive; you can write the image to the new two drive RAID 1 configuration.

BTW I did get the two above mentioned 160 Gb 2.5" SATA drives last week. They are new sealed drives. Its just that no one uses these any more. Thinking they were around $15 each. I am now seeing CD Rom style cages where you fit the drives in the CDROM custom SATA 2.5" holders.

You used to be able to find these for $15 or so. These would mount in a 3.5" slot and give you two 2.5" hot swap front drives.

http://www.istarusa.com/istarusa/pro...A#.U1Ub5KKPOhE

Last edited by Pete; April 21st, 2014, 08:12 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                HS4 Lite -

Comment

Pete.

Talking to Hector today, he got his new PCI Raid Card. We need a couple suggestions as I have never used PCI Raid card or had much experience with Windows XP. I do run a Raid config using my onboard Intel Raid controller though.

Here's what he has so far;

Drives - 1pc 300Gb Sata Drive with his orginal OS & 2pc 80Gb IDE drives that are formatted. (Speed is no concern with this machine, as its solely for HS Purpose)
                  PCI Raid Card- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YMJ6ZE/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Need to accomplish Two Things,.

1) System Image prior to setting up the raid and also then a Weekly backup.
                  2) Set up the Raid Card with the 2pc 80Gb drive in Raid 1 and the 300 Gb holding System Images.

1) Question, What software can we use to capture his entire drive before we start this setup and what software can we use for weekly backups on his XP machine.

2) When is set up my Raid Config, I had to set the drives within the Bois to "RAID" drives and Then install the OS (Win7). Is it possible the he can hook up his old "300 Gb OS" drive and one of the new 80 Gb Drive to the raid card to transfer the data. After the Data is transferred into the Raid 1 config, we would then shut the machine down and install his second 80 Gb Drive. Can it be done like this? If not, is there any other option outside of a complete new OS install?

Comment

1) Question, What software can we use to capture his entire drive before we start this setup and what software can we use for weekly backups on his XP machine.
                    1 - I can write what I use (well for years now). I think the unregistered download works with a tickle to register it. I've been using it since around 2005. I don't know what it costs but it worked for me for Windows server and that was most important. I also use MiniTools (free) and that does partition or drive imaging in Wintel mode or Gparted in Linux mode.

You can use it initially for the original disk image; then afterwards for a weekly disk image.

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

http://www.minitool.com/

I do this once a week for the Homeseer partition which is small and it takes about 15 minutes to do at 0300c (3 AM)

I do this while Homeseer is running as it works fine. I have used it for recovery in a DR restoral thing.

Remember though if there is more than 80 Gb of data on the 300Gb drive; it will not fit no matter what. If the issue is just a Homeseer backup; that will work.
                    Copy the Homeseer directory to a USB stick. Install Homeseer new; register it; then copy your stuff back to the new Homeseer directory from the USB stick.

Make sure to use the same directory names otherwise you will have issues.

2 - I do a nightly Homeseer directory backup. (en vivo) then zip the file to some 256Mb. Fast using RAR or 7ZIP.

The old Raid Hardware BIOS way I would utilize the bios menu to configure the raid; IE: format et al. When booting and creating the OS write; the raid is transparent to the OS as it is a hardware raid.

After the Data is transferred into the Raid 1 config, we would then shut the machine down and install his second 80 Gb Drive. Can it be done like this?
                    No. You should create the hardware Raid with the two 80Gb drives first (well after backing up). Ideally its difficult to shrink down a 300Gb parition to 80Gb; such that you cannot really copy it (well with mini tools you can). You will get a message that will ask you if you want to shrink or fit the partition to the smaller drive. The thing is; is that if the 300Gb drive has more than 80Gb of data; that will not work. Then you really need to just create a new 80Gb data drive. I personally would do this anyways for a cleaner install. Once you have a clean base OS install on the 80Gb drive; then image that and save it as a backup so you don't have to create a new OS from scratch in the future.

Once you have the two 80 Gb drives set up as a raid plus the 300Gb drive; you can restore the backup from the 300Gb drive to the Raid drives (again they are transparent) such that it will look like two drives; one 80Gb drive and one 300Gb drive.

Here I don't do a raid with the touchscreens but manipulate partitions with GParted and the drives connected via USB cables to a Linux box. With GParted you can resize and move and copy paritions. I do this with Linux, Android or Wintel paritions; just works. BTW in the Linux world I use EXT4. I have had issues with using BTRFS partition manipulation. EFI boot stuff is easy these days.
                    Last edited by Pete; May 4th, 2014, 06:10 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    HS4 Lite -

Comment

Pete this is where aim at with memory on my C drive.
                      Attached Files
                      Hector
                      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Yup; 26Gb is good.

Here is a screen shot of MiniTools Free partition manager and one of drive snapshot.

Note these are simple programs; nothing really fancy; just mostly functional.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Pete; May 4th, 2014, 06:58 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        HS4 Lite -

Comment

Excellent.

So he can use the minitool to create a snapshot of his current OS. how can he mount the OS onto the Raid Array? Would he create a recovery disk to boot from or can he use the minitool to "move " the image to the raid array while operating on his current drive.

Comment

So he can use the minitool to create a snapshot of his current OS. how can he mount the OS onto the Raid Array?
                            He can utilize Minitools to snapshot his current OS parition to another device.

That said he can resize same partition in the minitools application to 30Gb.

To copy said image to Raid Array would be then to create a boot CD ROM that runs MiniTools Partition manager and tell it to copy saved partition over to primary boot partition (well the Raid array in this case).

You can do similar with Snapshot; only it will not copy a large or bigger partition to smaller partition. You can though utilize Minitools on the 300Gb drive to change the size of the 300Gb partition to 30 Gb. Once changed then you can use Snapshot to image the 30 Gb partition; then write that to the new 80 Gb Raid drive. When you do this Snapshot will ask if you want to expand the 30Gb image to 80Gb.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            HS4 Lite -

Comment

Reflecting a bit on the endeavor at hand....

It would be easier to image the 300Gb OS partition to any > 30 Gb IDE/SATA drive connected to the computer via a USB to IDE/SATA device (another drive).

1 - Image 300Gb (30Gb of data) partition to any > 30 Gb IDE / SATA to USB device drive using MiniTools partition copy. It will shrink down the partition to around 30Gb. An older non used drive will work. Format it with Minitools and check it before writing to it.

2 - create Raid with the two 80 Gb drives and make these the primary boot drives. Leave the 300Gb drive out of the picture for a time.

3 - create a bootable minitools cd rom disk.

4 - At this point you will have your 80Gb Raid drive which really acts as one drive with nothing on it. Remove the 300Gb drive for the time being.

5 - plug in your USB to whatever device and boot up with the ISO Mini tools boot CD rom drive.

6 - Using minitools partition manager copy the boot partition from the USB connected drive to the raid drive.

7 - shut down PC

8 - remove the USB connected drive and CD boot disk.

9 - here you should be able to boot into a copy of the OS now installed on the 80 Gb drive (which is a raid drive).

10 - Back up the 300Gb drive to a DVD Rom for archival purposes. Format the 300Gb drive while checking it. Shut off the PC and reinstall the 300Gb drive.

11 - You will then have a booting 80Gb drive and a new 300Gb drive. You can utilize this drive as a NAS or storage drive for other devices on your network. Not sure what it will do to the running HS application. Here I have a tiny USB/Network NAS drive that is a touch over the size of the drive. I think I purchased the case with hardware for some $20. It's a very simple single drive network connected NAS. I did something similiar for my sister's old computer hard drive which also was around 300Gb.

12 - Note that while 80Gb is small; its still 80Gb. Here my two Homeseer boxes running on Windows servers are using 20-30 Gb partitions and the second partitions are not really used for much. (they are 160Gb drives).

13 - have written #12. With a smaller Homeseer partition you can image and copy it over to some other media really quickly. You can test the image copy stuff using the 300Gb drive, then maybe a USB connect portable drive then maybe in the future a NAS drive.

14 - Clean up the Homeseer directory (remove the junk in it). It should be less than a Gb of data. Mine is today and compresses down to 256mb which is really easy to back up.

With the above take it slow in baby steps.

Once you have a copy of the OS and the running bootable 300Gb drive on any media; you will be OK.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
                              X