Rebuilding w/ XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding w/ XP

Just had to rebuild a computer w/ XP. Now that is is no longer supported, how are people getting updated to the point where Microsoft pulled the plug?
    Don

Regular updating has worked for me. (Installing XP S3 then telling the computer to get the rest of the updates from MS)

It's worked for me up the the last updates post end date (a couple of days ago).

Works fine with a message and date when it wasn't supported.

IE: Jogglers.

Also testing a new Gb realtek driver which does work in XP unless you reboot...oddest thing.

Concurrently doing the W 8.1 thing; its also working fine right now. Same issue with the Realtek driver though.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete:

Guess I'll let it run until it updates.
      Don

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
        Just had to rebuild a computer w/ XP. Now that is is no longer supported, how are people getting updated to the point where Microsoft pulled the plug?
        Have you tried going to the Security Center from Control Panel? I believe 'Check for Updates' still works.
        Attached Files
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Rebuilding w/ XP

I just finished updating a really old XP computer that I haven't used in a couple of years. I just wanted it to be up to date and I could use it as a source of XP if I needed it in the future.

I turned on automatic updates and let it run overnight last night. It installed hundreds of patches including the most recent one.

Everything is working fine today.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Maybe I live a reverse charmed life... When I click on this I get a private company that will update my stuff for only 29.99.

Sigh...

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            Have you tried going to the Security Center from Control Panel? I believe 'Check for Updates' still works.
            Don

Comment

Sounds a bit that your browser has been hijacked?

Not sure; never saw this before.

Try this:

1 - download and run Combofix. You can get it here. It may take a while to run.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

2 - Reboot

3 - Go to Control Panel / Automatic updates / check the download box but do not install / wait a bit / manually install the updates. (this should work).

Yup here still use XP S3 on Jogglers and both MS EOF and last update came up on them. XP is still a bit skinnier than W81.

Side note and totally unrelated to OP.

I got my custom painted PVC mast on top of my modified J-Mount. Only issue is that I had to climb to the top of the 24 foot ladder and reach up hands free to mount the bottom of the 6 foot PVC mast. Issue now has been to put the Davis Vantage View on the top of the mast which I haven't done. I can swing down the mast but worry that I will damage the weather station installing it on the end. So the mast is up "sans" weather station in "test" mode. I might start all over again and just go to the roof. This is similar to what I did in Florida; only there the Fine Offset weather station is on the OTA antenna mast and I use the mast the last time holding on to it while changing the batteries on the one piece of it; as the weather station is still over my head at the end of the 24 foot ladder (purchased identical fiberglass extension ladder there).
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Pete; May 4th, 2014, 10:27 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
              HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
              HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Sounds a bit that your browser has been hijacked? Not sure; never saw this before.
                Don, I agree. This looks like it might be worth resolving before you go any further.

Side note and totally unrelated to OP.

I got my custom painted PVC mast on top of my modified J-Mount. Only issue is that I had to climb to the top of the 24 foot ladder and reach up hands free to mount the bottom of the 6 foot PVC mast. Issue now has been to put the Davis Vantage View on the top of the mast which I haven't done. . . . I might start all over again and just go to the roof. This is similar to what I did in Florida; only there the Fine Offset weather station is on the OTA antenna mast and I use the mast the last time holding on to it while changing the batteries on the one piece of it; as the weather station is still over my head at the end of the 24 foot ladder.
                Pete!!!
                Hire someone to do this. What are we all going to do if you fall off and kill yourself?
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Crazy Pete! I just mounted mine on my shop which is an easy 300-400 yards from the house. Receiving unit still read it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                  Don

Comment

Yup; yesterday afternoon in just the span of a few hours my grandchildren aged me 20 years (virtually).

I have this "thing" about doing stuff like this myself. That said the ladder did fall one day while I was on the roof. I was lucky that I had my cell phone; but it took a few phone calls to find somebody to help move the ladder back in place.

@Don...Davis console is still working fine and connecting to somebody's Davis Vantage Pro II in the area. I don't know where its at; but the rain gauge part isn't working well.

The older AAG weather station is opposite of the mast and still is working (well with speedy wind reads).

BTW once you got your XPSP3 base build and its updated you can use MiniTools stuff for backing up your new base build. It is free and I use it all of the time.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
                    X