No announcement yet.

How to test a auto restart on a PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have to look up on the software for the APC that I have. Only thing, if I use the software for the USP I wont be able to monitor it thru HS.
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
      Thanks for the informative post! What brand and model of network UPS are you using? I'd like to look into possibly getting some of the same.
      They are all CyberPower units with RMCARD202 installed. I have 3 PR1500LCD for my and my wife's desktops and for my desktop in the workshop. Then I have two PR2200LCD2U. One is connected to three servers, my Windows Server Essentials hosting VMs for HS and video security. There is also a "sandbox" server and a small 1U that can be a dedicated HomeSeer server. My large 188TB media server is attached to the second PR2200LCD2U. All five of the UPSs have remote management cards and have secondary switched power banks, giving a huge amount of flexibility.

My POE switch, secondary smart switch, wireless router and VDSL modem are connected to "dumb" ups units. For HomeSeer the Arduinos are using POE shields so they are powered by the switch as is the Global Cache IP2SL converter. The Z-Troller power adapter is connected to the same UPS as the switch. Obviously a "live" Z-Troller and Arduinos are of no use to a dead house, but I have a whole house generator that will run within 5 minutes of a power failure, so I like to maintain the connection to all of the HS peripherals in the interim.
      Last edited by rprade; November 29th, 2014, 11:01 PM.
      Randy Prade
      Aurora, CO
      Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
        I may have to look up on the software for the APC that I have. Only thing, if I use the software for the USP I wont be able to monitor it thru HS.
        That is sort of true. You can actually have HS monitor the UPS, but not have HS perform any actions. Leave that for the UPS software. In my case I really don't need to monitor my UPS units at all. The UPS just does its job according to a plan if/when there is ever a power failure. All we do is perform an annual battery test to make sure they have adequate run time
        Randy Prade
        Aurora, CO
        Prades.net

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
          That is not true on mine, unless "Last State" is chosen. If "Power On" is selected they will always power up on restoration of power.

Interesting. I'm using an X8silf and, I guess, I've never thoroughly inspected these settings. Thanks for the heads up.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I'm thinking that an alternative way to wake up a computer that shut itself down because of dwindling UPS energy might be to use the "Wake-on-LAN" feature that many (most?) motherboard BIOS have these days. All you would need is one device that's awake to then it could wake up whatever computers you want woken up. I'm thinking an arduino would be a simple choice for such a device, since arduinos already wake up naturally if/when you restore power to them.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
              I'm thinking that an alternative way to wake up a computer that shut itself down because of dwindling UPS energy might be to use the "Wake-on-LAN" feature that many (most?) motherboard BIOS have these days. All you would need is one device that's awake to then it could wake up whatever computers you want woken up. I'm thinking an arduino would be a simple choice for such a device, since arduinos already wake up naturally if/when you restore power to them.
              Most machines will only wake from sleep. If your BIOS will let you wake from S5, there are a fair number of NICs that won't support it. I had to replace several of my machines on board Realtec NICS just to get them to support WOL from sleep. On some of those machines I had to disable S/S5 in order to get them to wake from power off.

So your idea will work fine, so long as your hardware will support it.
              Randy Prade
              Aurora, CO
              Prades.net

Comment

Working...
              X