Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu server partitions..

Hi all

I need a little advice from people more Linux savvy than me please.

I have a VirtualBox VM with Ubuntu Server 14.04 installed and operational. I gave it 32GB disk space on the host machine. When trying to apply latest updates it started complaining of being out of disk space.

I have booted it into a Knoppix Live CD ISO and ran Gparted in attempt to modify the partition sizes, but seem to be stuck here.

The attachment is what I see in GParted and the /sda1 partition is the problem at only 243mb.

It won't let me modify the size of any of the partitions, other than reducing /sda1

I seem to be struggling with answers from Google

Many thanks in advance

James
    Attached Files
    cheeryfool

I am using ext4 for my Homeseer 3 box.

You are out of space anyways.

That said I have never used GParted to extend an LVM partition.

To extend an LVM partiton you would need to do something like this if you have the space.

1 - Resize the VB first with it off with Vitual Box. Go for 64 Gb or a bit more.
    2 - Then resize the LVM partition like so:

# lvextend -L64G /dev/myvg/homevol

This will expand the LVM to 64Gb.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Thinking some more about this and looking at the PiPoX7. It does run Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit just fine; but you are limited a bit with what you can do with it at a max of 2Gb of RAM. I runs Ubuntu faster than Wintel 10 at 32 bit. It is sort of sold as a set top media player box and while it does work fine it is stressing the limits of HD video a bit at 32 bits. There are heat sink modes for it and there is a video tweak for the BIOS. This provides a comfort level for running KODI on it. Personally here had no issues streaming live HD television, recorded HD media or streaming HD media on it. So what else can it do? Well it can run Ubuntu. It was so new though that it lacked Ubuntu drivers for it in the beginning. (well including Bluetooth, wireless and a NIC is the icing on the cake for this device). Personally here considering using it as a Homeseer 3 touchscreen which I do think works well for me. I am having some gotchas with it relating to the Tablet BIOS on it and wanting to remotely control said device. IE: I can wake it up just fine touching the screen. I cannot wake it up via the network cuz it shuts the network interface down which is odd.

BTW some folks have taken to using a soldering iron and putting in a socket for the BIOS chip. Historically I have seen similiar increasing the RAM by soldering a new RAM to the devices. It is a bit extreme though to do this.

I am thinking here relating to Homeseer 3 I think the box would do fine with either a Wintel or Linux running box. Not both though mostly because of the 2Gb of RAM.

A quickie comparison here would be my current Haswell iSeries PC with now 16GB of RAM running Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit (LTS light) and a VB of Wintel 32 bit server. I gave the VB one CPU and 2Gb of RAM and its only doing a couple of Homeseer 3 things just fine.

One other thing is that running with Ext4 does use up a bit less total space than a same said LVM partition. (I learned this playing with Ubuntu on the Joggler using a 2Gb MMC to run Ubuntu 32bit server - lite on). Thinking too just plugging in a USB stick while upgrading will utilize the temp space on the USB stick.

BTW - there is a custom ISO build just for the Baytrail CPU / PiPoX7 with working audio, bluetooth, wireless and NIC? This ISO is a standard Ubuntu ISO modded just for the Baytrail. It does allow for the creation of a EXT4 partition (in a VB too).
      Last edited by Pete; September 10th, 2015, 07:05 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
      HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
      HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
      X