Windows 10 or 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 or 7?

I moved HS3 over to a Dell laptop where it will live until I figure out a new dedicated box.
    The laptop is running Windows 8 and is full of Dell bloatware.

I need to do a fresh install and am debating on Win 7 vs. 10.
    It is eligible for the Win 10 upgrade but I want to do a clean install. Hopefully it will let me do this.

I have an extra Win 7 install and am leaning on this at least for now.

DSteiNeuro
    DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
    BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Although I am not running HS3 on Win10, I hate that the automatic updates are such a pain. I'm sure by now, someone has a hack to remove the automatic updates, but thats one thing to keep in mind about Win10.
    HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
    64 Z-Wave Nodes, 168 Events, 280 Devices
    UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
    Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

For HS3 installs I would stick with the proven Win7 OS. There are still a few drivers not available for W10 and it really doesn't add any value over Win7 for a HS server.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

I did love win 7 but have been more than happy with win 10 and glad i did the upgrade (but only if you go with Win 10 pro) as you can turn off the auto upgrades and restarts and the backup features are much better including the keep folder in sync with NAS

Comment

I have been on Win 10 for the last month without any issues.

There is a registry hack that you can find online now to disable the updates. Very easy and works well.

Comment

I like Win 10

Originally posted by DSteiNeuro View Post
            I moved HS3 over to a Dell laptop where it will live until I figure out a new dedicated box.
            The laptop is running Windows 8 and is full of Dell bloatware.

I need to do a fresh install and am debating on Win 7 vs. 10.
            It is eligible for the Win 10 upgrade but I want to do a clean install. Hopefully it will let me do this.

I have an extra Win 7 install and am leaning on this at least for now.

DSteiNeuro
            Been using it for about 7 weeks. Fast! Low overhead.
            I upgraded from Win 7 Embedded with Chrome.

Edge is the best browser I have used for HS3. On the HS3 machine any any PC I want to Web control HS3 from.

There are multiple ways to get around to auto update. Just Google and chose what you are comfortable with

If you upgrade your Dell from 7 to 10, do the bloated upgrade first. Then create install USB drive and from that drive you should be able to do a clean reinstall.

Comment

Decided to go with Win 7 first. Got rid of all of the bloatware.
              Doing Windows update now, going to take a while.

I can image and then try Win 10 upgrade later.

Thanks!
              DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
              BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

Working...
              X