Woke up dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
    Meantime, found a scrapped motherboard in the garage and raided it for capacitors for the dead Atom board. Tested this morning. It's ALIVE!!! I'm swimming in working motherboards. Thinking this one will go to the garage for use on my bench, replacing an old tower machine I have there. Save quite a bit of bench space there. Now, just need yet another SSD for the Atom. Will likely refurbish the tower and put it in a yard sale for $20 or so.
    Good to hear Greg. Did you replace all caps, or just the ones that looked bad?

Cheers
    Al
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
      Good to hear Greg. Did you replace all caps, or just the ones that looked bad?

Cheers
      Al
      Just the bad ones. Checked the voltage on some of the others. Pure DC, no ripple at all.
      About to raid the source board for the rest of its components so I'll have a few spares on hand.
      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
        Just the bad ones. Checked the voltage on some of the others. Pure DC, no ripple at all.
        About to raid the source board for the rest of its components so I'll have a few spares on hand.
        Just a quick comment: an ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) meter is invaluable for checking capacitors. They can be used in circuit and can be purchased for about $30.
        Randy Prade
        Aurora, CO
        Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Wade,
          What processor you running in it? didnt notice above... seems like yall like your older slower hardware. I am always on the future more power growth!!!!

look in my sig.. that is being replaced with a dual quad core xeon W5580 and 48gb ram...
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
            Wade,
            What processor you running in it? didnt notice above... seems like yall like your older slower hardware. I am always on the future more power growth!!!!

look in my sig.. that is being replaced with a dual quad core xeon W5580 and 48gb ram...
            You plan on automating the neighborhood with that rig??

I have a small computer Intel Duo with 4 gigs... My 2 main purposes when buying the computer, at most it uses 50 watts... generally hovers around 30. And I still needed a serial port which is hard to find in newer hardware. I hate dealing with usb to serial adapters and try to avoid them.

It's running Homeseer and SQL Express (i run a script to update a database on all device changes)... CPU does average around 50 percent, along with memory... but its quick enough and solid.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post

I have a small computer Intel Duo with 4 gigs... My 2 main purposes when buying the computer, at most it uses 50 watts... generally hovers around 30. And I still needed a serial port which is hard to find in newer hardware. I hate dealing with usb to serial adapters and try to avoid them.

It's running Homeseer and SQL Express (i run a script to update a database on all device changes)... CPU does average around 50 percent, along with memory... but its quick enough and solid.
              well intentions are a multi purpose one..
              Server 2012 R2 Essentials
              AD/DNS/DHCP
              Family photos, movies, data shares, PC Backups
              HS
              Next PVR
              Plex
              MceBuddy

possibly
              BlueIris or something like that eventually

so while it draws more power... it will draw less than a few that would serve as individual functions...
              so that is what I keep telling myself.

with the lights my kids leave on and that is acceptable I can live with a pc on... well there are 2 others on all the time too... hah

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                Wade,

The D525MW board has an Intel Atom dual core processor integral to the board running at 1.8 GHz (the new board runs at 1.86 GHz). Running only HS and a couple of support programs, the CPU usage only ever peaks at about 15%, with no noticeable delays running events/scripts. Some of my scripts even run for nearly an hour (Five instances simultaneously, downloading videos and snaps rom my cameras every morning) and even this has never impacted the performance. No need to run a Cray 1 when this does the trick quite nicely and cheaply, while sitting on a shelf taking up almost no space at all.
                Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I think this will NOT be used for my HS box.. I think it is too much of a power hog. not sure if I am going to use it...
                  last night while installing an OS on it in the garage it popped a gfi (garage outlets must be on a gfi)

so there was my track lighting (non led) and a small beer fridge plugged into that circuit too...

well wonder what will happen when I plug it into my automation area in the basement???

not sure which of the 2 I have but it is either...

850 W 85% (BRONZE) Efficient wide-ranging, active Power Factor Correction
                  1110 W 89% (SILVER) Efficient wide-ranging, active Power Factor Correction

Comment

Woke up dead.

Yea I had a similar setup when I first started. Main server with VM. Found my electrical bill almost doubled with that thing. Now smaller is better

Comment

Yea I had a similar setup when I first started. Main server with VM. Found my electrical bill almost doubled with that thing. Now smaller is better
                      I was running a HP DL580 G2 quad xeon / 128gb ram / 2 array controllers each with 6 x 146gb drives... LOL

6U bohemith...

would love to run a hp c7000 chassis... LOL definitely overkill at home

Comment

LCD TV in kitchen tuner started to act up yesterday. It would work fine for about 10 minutes then the picture would get bars on it slowly until the entire screen was bars.

I am posting here even though it is not a computer rather an LCD TV.

It fit just right here and was just the right size and color for the Kitchen corner under the cabinets area.

I replaced it temporarily with another LCD TV that doesn't really look as nice. This is very low on the WAF. So today....

I took apart the old LCD TV. Many screws here. Power supply is encased in a metal shell but it is a separate board.

Found one bulging electrolytic capacitor so replacing it. I didn't have any around so I had to purchase 10 of these.

440V / 100 uF electrolytic capacitor. (also marked JH CD263 + 105˚ C T-5)

Here is a picture of the defective capacitor. It was easy to remove from the power supply board. Rest of the caps look fine and board doesn't really show any signs of over heating.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Pete; April 5th, 2016, 09:22 AM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
                        HS4 Pro - V4.0.9.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
                        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          LCD TV in kitchen tuner started to act up yesterday. It would work fine for about 10 minutes then the picture would get bars on it slowly until the entire screen was bars.

I am posting here even though it is not a computer rather an LCD TV.

It fit just right here and was just the right size and color for the Kitchen corner under the cabinets area.

I replaced it temporarily with another LCD TV that doesn't really look as nice. This is very low on the WAF. So today....

I took apart the old LCD TV. Many screws here. Power supply is encased in a metal shell but it is a separate board.

Found one bulging electrolytic capacitor so replacing it. I didn't have any around so I had to purchase 10 of these.

440V / 100 uF electrolytic capacitor. (also marked JH CD263 + 105˚ C T-5)

Here is a picture of the defective capacitor. It was easy to remove from the power supply board.

no pic pete... but CONGRATS MAN!!!!

your a real fixin machine

Comment

Thank you. I have never played with an LCD TV and never had one go bad to date.

Yes; will post a picture of the power supply board and electrolytic capacitor shortly.

It was a PITA to replace it yesterday with another LCD TV. (this is the WAF LCD TV that wife uses to watch cooking shows every day while she is cooking).

It was a Sunday crisis.

There are 3 LCD's in the kitchen area (the other 2 are wall flush mounted) and only this one and the laundry room LCD TV is used the most.

It was a PITA to take the LCD TV apart. Many screws. The main LCD board is encased in metal with another 10 screws and then the power supply had four screws holding it in place.

The power supply board is modular and easy to remove to work on.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
                            HS4 Pro - V4.0.9.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
                            HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                              Thank you. I have never played with an LCD TV and never had one go bad to date.

Yes; will post a picture of the power supply board and electrolytic capacitor shortly.

It was a PITA to replace it yesterday with another LCD TV. (this is the WAF LCD TV that wife uses to watch cooking shows every day while she is cooking).

It was a Sunday crisis.

There are 3 LCD's in the kitchen area (the other 2 are wall flush mounted) and only this one and the laundry room LCD TV is used the most.

It was a PITA to take the LCD TV apart. Many screws. The main LCD board is encased in metal with another 10 screws and then the power supply had four screws holding it in place.

The power supply board is modular and easy to remove to work on.
                              Pete you amaze me with your posts sometimes and your setup. I can only imagine how things look in your house. 3 LCD's in the kitchen alone??? I finally was just allowed to put in one and she only uses it to play her music and could give 2 ##%$ if it could do anything else .

Comment

In the kitchen the only one is really used is the under the counter one and the other two just look nice (flush wall mounted).

I have TV's in sync (well laundry room too) such that if they are all on they show the same DVR stuff as that is what is always watched.

Last week here moved a joggler touch tablet over to the kitchen disk area. I do not know why there is a desk / telephone area.
                                - Pete

Auto mator
                                HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
                                X