Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New WiFi AP

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new AP. Right now I have an integrated firewall/2.4 GHz Access Point and plan to continue using the firewall/VPN portion of it and disable the AP and replace the AP functionality with an external multi-band AP. The front runner in the APs I have looked at is the Netgear Nighthawk X6 tri-band one (I would disable the FW functionality). Anyone have experience with it? Reviews online are very good. Any other recommendations?

Thanks
    Al
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

I installed a Ubiquiti Unifi AC a while back and have been really happy with it. It's mounted centrally in the house on the ceiling and is POE powered. Only slight drawback is that you have to run their configuration software to configure it (no local web interface), but the software will let you manage multiple APs to support seamless roaming. Looks like they released newer models of the Unifi since I bought mine.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

+ 1 Ubiquiti
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
      HS4 Pro - V4.0.7.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
      HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

+1 Ubiquiti here too

Comment

Same here for ubiquiti. Mine is installed in the middle of the house. Great coverage and with the light off, no one even notices it.

Installed about a year ago and maybe had to restart it once.

Comment

Unifi [/Thread]
            Originally posted by rprade
            There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I have an Ubiquity Unifi UAP-LR and it's good. It is my secondary AP in my house. I have the N version. The only draw back is that it is limited by a 100mbps ethernet port. It does me no good to have an AP that will do 300-450mbps if it is bottle necked by the ethernet connection. The A/C version does not have this limitation, but then again, it's 5ghz side can do 1300mbps, which is then limited by the gigabit Ethernet port.

Of course if all you are doing is using it to go over the internet, then if you'r outgoing line is less than 100mbps, then you are fine, however Mine was used for lots of internal traffic as well (streaming from Plex and other sources where I had not yet pulled a hard line). Because of this I also got an Engenius EAP600, which is still N, but has the gigabit Ethernet connection (And is POE as well).

What l did like about the UniFi was the management software and some of it's features. I also had issue with certain devices connecting to it, but it was mainly my daughter's phones, so I think there is some level of user error (I could never reproduce, but it went away with the Engenius).

Overall, if you go wit the AC version, I would still vote Ubiquity, but if you go N, then I would consider how you plan on using it. I did find the LR (Long Range) version covered my house really well, but so does the EAP600.
              MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

Yea that is true. My thing is, I hate wireless and try to avoid it. Most everything in my house is hard wired. So it really only gets used for guests and phones. I think the theoretical numbers that get tossed around for speed are care bear land stuff.

I am one that still runs G mainly just because of distance. N and AC have the speed, but not the distance. My main goal is to be able to read my news with a cup of coffee out on the back deck. My setup allows for this.

I am a heavy network and Internet user, but I am light on wifi use. It's purpose is for surfing and nothing else.

But that's just me .

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post

But that's just me .
                  your not alone... wired vs wireless... always wired...

just like big block vs small block.. small blocks rev like hell but a big block ..... mmmmmm the sound of power!!!!!!!!!!!
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Relating to wireless here and years ago shifted over to the DD-WRT / OpenWRT stuff which worked fine and done by default.

Then tried Ubiquiti and I liked the firmware OS so much never touched it and it always worked.

Out of the blue and a couple years back lost my first Ubiquiti AP. Well took it apart to look see and never saw anything wrong (no burn marks or anything).

It turned out that it was a problem with my cabling and I was surprised that it had worked so long miswired.

Here too all catxx wired and use wireless only for the floating laptops / tablets stuff.

Not tethered here to my cell phone.

All media stuff (movies and music in the house) is Gb connected these days.

First attempt at using Wireless AC (well tried the Gb stuff) years was really a waste as you really did need close proximity of the AP any ways. (but it was new then).

That said I have been testing wirelessly connected Homeseer touch screens on separately configured AP's.

I still have to power them and I do have wires everywhere here anyways.

I cannot suspend them as WOL for wireless doesn't exist yet and I have gone now to just shutting off the screens at night.

Geez even bugged Intel a few years ago about coming up with wireless WOL. Maybe it does exist today and I missed it.

It's been a few years now and recall having to justify (via an ROI) enterprise wireless. I had a hard time with it (in the early 2000's) then later did come up with some good reasons. (like servicing / maintenance something inside of metal shell/skin using a tablet with nice drawings and parts lists). Also dealt with the changes of Cisco's enterprise wireless logic some 3 times in less than 5 years. (it got better and easier).
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
                    HS4 Pro - V4.0.7.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
                    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Oh,yeah!

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                      your not alone... wired vs wireless... always wired...

just like big block vs small block.. small blocks rev like hell but a big block ..... mmmmmm the sound of power!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Don

Comment

+1 Ubiquiti

I have 3 units in my home. I run the management console a general purpose server and access the console from a web browser. These three units provide local and guest access.

I have 2 of the Unifi AP-LR and one Unifi AP-PRO, they are very nice for the money, set and forget. I have had them over 2 years with no issues and have been very happy.
                        Last edited by bdraper; April 6th, 2016, 02:12 PM.
                        Billy Draper

Comment

back on track...

so I have ASUS RT‑AC66U
                          never heard of what you guys have and wow im wondering and will be searching on what all yall are

+1'ing
                          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I tried multiple different Ubiquiti APs within the last few years. I was nowhere near as impressed as some of the others reporting about them.

Seamless roaming did not work, and was why I had bought a 3 pack. I also tried their beta software with no luck. They were releasing many betas over more than a year promising to fix the problems, and never did at the time I gave up. I never could get the seamless handoff between APs to work right. It would often hang on a lower signal one, thus dropping speed to the point of unusability, even though a much stronger AP was closer. It was not until the further away one was out range, that the stronger one was used. This made their products useless to me.

Then, I was testing one of their outdoor units and while it was still on the bench, it died completely, and of course after it was too late to return to Amazon.

It has been another year now, so maybe I should dust off the 3 pack to try again. I already have other Netgear 2.4/5Ghz combo APs running just fine though. The only extra feature I wanted from Ubiquiti was seamless roaming between APs while moving around the house.
                            Last edited by Automated; April 6th, 2016, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
                              I tried multiple different Ubiquiti APs within the last few years. I was nowhere near as impressed as some of the others reporting about them.

Seamless roaming did not work, and was why I had bought a 3 pack. I also tried their beta software with no luck. They were releasing many betas over more than a year promising to fix the problems, and never did at the time I gave up. I never could get the seamless handoff between APs to work right. It would often hang on a lower signal one, thus dropping speed to the point of unusability, even though a much stronger AP was closer. It was not until the further away one was out range, that the stronger one was used. This made their products useless to me.

Then, I was testing one of their outdoor units and while it was still on the bench, it died completely, and of course after it was too late to return to Amazon.

It has been another year now, so maybe I should dust off the 3 pack to try again. I already have other Netgear 2.4/5Ghz combo APs running just fine though. The only extra feature I wanted from Ubiquiti was seamless roaming between APs while moving around the house.
                              That sucks. I only have one, but bought into it if the option was needed to have multiple units because of the seamless handoff. Luckily, my 9,000 sq ft lot (2,500 sq ft house) is more than covered by just one unit.

One of my buddies did by the newer model that just came out for AC. It seems a lot cheaper than the previous version, so I might give it a try, but I still look to have distance over speed, though it would be nice to have both.

Comment

Working...
                              X