Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikaluch View Post
    Don't wear one as a hat.
    That's where my tinfoil hat comes in handy.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Currently....

The FCC limits the EIRP (equivalent isotropically radiated power) to 1 Watt, but many APs have an output of 100mW and with standard 3dB stick antennas this means an EIRP of 200mW because a 3dB power gain equates to a doubling of the power. Likewise, many routers sold in Europe are fixed at 100mW max although some third-party AP software (like DD-wrt) may allow higher values to be set - but this doesn't mean that the AP will be able to supply that much power and you need to be careful tht cranking up the value and using high gain antennas isn't going to create a system that causes local interference or an RF hazard.

Most SOHO home stuff is working at 30 - 70 mA. I really though like the innocuous look of a POE AP on the ceiling.

Using DD-WRT I've cranked on the AP's and it just creates more noise.
      The 1 watt (30 dBm) limit is power to the antenna so you don't have to count the antenna gain against that limit. However, it is applicable to the total of all transmit carriers. For the 3 x 3 transmitters common these days the limit would be 25.2 dBm. The EIRP limit is 36 dBi (some exceptions).

My Asus puts out 500 mW (27 dBm) out of the box. Hacked firmware easily take them to 1 W. Many of the Ubiquiti's advertise up to 28 dBm out of the box. Increasing your output by 3 dBm shouldn't do much to the signal quality or life. Amplifiers are generally designed for continuous use at 3 dB overdrive.

A lot of the routers today are advertising beamforming and are starting out with antennas sized for 5 dBi rather than 3dBi. There are plenty of 7 dBi antennas for sale in the router section of your electronics store. Beamforming should increase those numbers by at least 2 dBi. They are advertising right up to the legal limits but independent tests often show them exceeding.

The AP does look cool. If I was single I'd get a rugged looking outdoor AP and bolt it to a stripper pole in my living room.

Comment

Yes just mentioning that I have used and beta tested the Ubiquiti stuff for a while here (along with the Aircam stuff) and not had issues with it over the last few years.

I have read good things about the Asus wireless devices. (and TP-Link)

Historically at home (before Ubiquiti) used modded OS routers converted to AP's POE mounted in the attic (and used a variety of antennas at the time).

What I have seen though is many folks put their combination AP/router/firewall/modems wherever with the assumption it will work wherever.

I also understand that many folks purchase electronic devices these days based on their aesthetics (stripper pole comment) versus their function and that is how they are are sold these days.

I get that and it is understood. I am an old auto mater here and a bit engineering centric.

IE: a couple of years ago neighbour purchased a 7 series bimmer. There was a cartoon displaying telling the driver to change the oil. It was more entertaining than functional and yet the driver didn't have an idea what the cartoon was all about.

Relating to the commercial use of wireless access points it was always a POE single purposed AP that was used. (except for smaller SOHO stuff).

All said above; I do not depend on wireless for any of my automation today still today. IE: use my tablet outside but really not worth it with the sun. I do have a trans reflective tablet that I used to use but no longer user today. (not sure if the automobile is using these types today - know they are polarized cuz if I tilt my head with my sunglasses on the screen turns black).
        Last edited by Pete; April 8th, 2016, 07:30 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
        HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

I have the verizon access point router in the basement and a zyxel wap3205 upstairs. Unfortunately they do not work well together. My phone and other devices have hard time switching between the two access point. I read this forum and I like the suggestions about the Ubiquiti, I'm thinking to buy this model, since I would like to disable the Verizon router access point and use only this instead. UAP-AC-LR http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Netwo...d=AXZ9GN0Z8UG6

You have mentioned several models and I'm a little confiused on what to buy. Do you think this will do it for what I'm planning to od? my house is about 2000 SQ with a basement and a first level.

Comment

You should have no issues getting full reception everywhere with that
            I went with the UAP-AC-Pro (it doesn't have quite as much power) but still covered almost 10,000 sq ft but i have a ICF with cement walls and it was a little weak in the back corner of the basement so I added the second one and now coverage is great

Comment

One AP should be all you need.

Here covering two story 3K of living space and basement and garage and about .5 acres outside with AP on second floor.

Here have recommended to neighbours not to put their combo mini modem boxes / AP's in the basement or purchasing a single purpose AP.

ISP's push the rental as another source of monthly revenue's almost mandating their use today.

The ISPs are pushing for their manditory use while there concurrent efforts to disengage this effort. (a la carting your ISP stuff - win win for them).

Even is you rent it these days the ISP will still charge you for a truck roll or repair should the device hardware fail.

Initially with my upgraded Motorola cable modem the ISP wouldn't connect it even though it was the same model that they were renting.
              Last edited by Pete; April 10th, 2016, 04:25 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
              HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
              HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

The all in one modem/router/access point that the ISP mailed me was a mess. My 60 Mbps download speed I was paying for was running at ~25 Mbps with their setup. I switched it over to bridge mode and shut everything off other than being a modem. Always better than 59 Mbps ever since. I read a lot of posts stating the Provider wouldn't allow you to do that. I went ahead and did it and they never complained.

Comment

Originally posted by mikaluch View Post
                  The all in one modem/router/access point that the ISP mailed me was a mess. My 60 Mbps download speed I was paying for was running at ~25 Mbps with their setup. I switched it over to bridge mode and shut everything off other than being a modem. Always better than 59 Mbps ever since. I read a lot of posts stating the Provider wouldn't allow you to do that. I went ahead and did it and they never complained.

I did the same. Only problem I have is they claim they don't support it, and sure enough you tell the tech on the call if you have issues that your bridged, you can feel the dumb look across thru the phone.

I have a spare modem that I test with if I have issues before I call that is setup the way they want. I use it to test if my setup has failed, or to make troubleshooting for the tech easier.

Comment

Here setting up a new AP cross country via Team Viewer. Never have tried this before. User is not IT centric (well she is around 65). Gonna try this...hopefully it works....only available LAN port is in the basement so AP will need to be there for the time bean.

1 - disconnect ISP connection
                    2 - put combo box between ISP and PC connection
                    3 - hopefully it defaults and provides a new DHCP address for computer that I am accessing.
                    4 - configure Wireless stuff via team viewer
                    5 - disconnect and reconnect combo LAN port to ISP router LAN port and guessing it should work.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    HS4 Lite -

Comment

Here setting up a new AP cross country via Team Viewer. Never have tried this before. User is not IT centric (well she is around 65). Gonna try this...hopefully it works....only available LAN port is in the basement so AP will need to be there for the time bean.

1 - disconnect ISP connection
                      2 - put combo box between ISP and PC connection
                      3 - hopefully it defaults and provides a new DHCP address for computer that I am accessing.
                      4 - configure Wireless stuff via team viewer
                      5 - disconnect and reconnect combo LAN port to ISP router LAN port and guessing it should work.
                      Good luck Pete, I understand what you could be in for and hope it goes well.
                      Billy Draper

Comment

Yeah there are more issues. This all relates to her doing her taxes (today?).

Last night left it running ComboFix (Windows 7) and it started fine and disconnected me.

Earlier before ComboFix did find a couple of malware issues running and cleaned them up.

She said it went to a BSOD which I have never seen with Combo Fix. I tried again a few minutes ago and it went to a BSOD so gave up for the time bean on ComboFix.

Now doing a disk check and told her it could be up to an hour here. So we are pushing it a bit and the window closes today at 11 AM such that I may not get to the AP install until next week.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        HS4 Lite -

Comment

Last night left it running ComboFix (Windows 7) and it started fine and disconnected me.

Earlier before ComboFix did find a couple of malware issues running and cleaned them up.

She said it went to a BSOD which I have never seen with Combo Fix. I tried again a few minutes ago and it went to a BSOD so gave up for the time bean on ComboFix.

Now doing a disk check and told her it could be up to an hour here. So we are pushing it a bit and the window closes today at 11 AM such that I may not get to the AP install until next week.

Here switched laptops and desktops over to Ubuntu and never see issues with Malware / Viruses.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          HS4 Lite -

Comment

Nice... just this past weekend got called over to a friends house to fix a issue with Turbo Tax... They too waited until almost the last minute. The user had done their taxes but not saved, clicked the delay button on Windows update, decided to take a nap and then awoke to a rebooted machine and a missing tax return. The user tried to start over again using Turbo Tax but the program kept terminating. Then I get a frantic call (LOL)... I stopped by, did a quick Google search, saw a note about checking Windows update. The user said that was the problem that updates had been applied. I checked Windows update anyway, saw there were 35 updates that needed to be applied, clicked the button, drank a beer while I waited, and rebooted the machine. Checked Windows update again, drank another beer, rebooted the machine, no more updates, opened Turbo Tax, no issues, user amazed...
                            Billy Draper

Comment

Worked. Here are the steps in case anyone wants to try this remotely.
                              Note this is for using a combo router in AP only. Her modem/router/switch/VOIP bos was in the basement and provided by her ISP.

1 - I had her install the new AP (combo) on her desk.
                              2 - plugged in the network LAN cable to the new AP WAN port.
                              3 - plugged her computer to one of the LAN ports on the new combo AP.
                              4 - rebooted PC
                              5 - PC got a DHCP address from the new combo router AP
                              6 - new combo AP got a DHCP address from her ISP combo
                              7 - validated she could get on the internet
                              8 - I had her run teamviewer
                              9 - I was able to get in to her new box and configured the wireless and shut off DHCP on her new box.
                              10 - unplugged the wall cat5e from the WAN port and plugged it in to another LAN port.
                              11 - rebooted her PC and tested internet to work.
                              12 - tested wireless tablet to internet and worked.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
                              X