ultra small pc's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ultra small pc's

Ok so at work we use towers, small form and tiny pcs. Lenovo's..

well since we also deal with vendor pc's I didnt know but we had an intel nuc in the laboratory.

I got talking to my manager and now we have new possibilities out there.
    anyone see these yet?
    cool looking devices. I maybe picking one up for my home use for my live tv streaming...not sure which yet..

so this was a skype for business chat I wad with my boss...

[‎5/‎5/‎2016 7:44 AM] Jeffrey:
    intel nuc - http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...omparison.html
    Kangaroo - http://www.kangaroo.cc/#
    Lenovo Stick 300 - http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktop...tre/stick-300/

all have benefits, was curious if one of these would be a good solution (cheaper) for a smaller bridge pc or light weight pc
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...gurations.html
    [‎5/‎5/‎2016 7:47 AM] :
    security 5300
    [‎5/‎5/‎2016 7:50 AM] :
    ok it was just http://fortune.com/2016/05/02/intel-mobile-market/

so this was an fyi but also asking if anyone has used any of these? recommendations for a streaming stick????
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

I bought the Dell micro PC around Christmas when they had it on special. It works good for streaming but I got the 32gb hard drive and it is a little small. They have bigger drives online for it, but I would get one with more size if I had to do again.

Comment

Originally posted by sonypoolplr View Post
      I bought the Dell micro PC around Christmas when they had it on special. It works good for streaming but I got the 32gb hard drive and it is a little small. They have bigger drives online for it, but I would get one with more size if I had to do again.
      We bought a couple of the sticks at work. One great use is as a datalogger. They are very light and don't change the cg of the airplane.

- Robert

Comment

for my use - no storage requirements as it would be a
        kodi / nextpvr

live tv / dvr player all going back to plex

my quest for a true cable box replacement where channel up / down work and i think this may do it

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
          kodi / nextpvr

my quest for a true cable box replacement where channel up / down work and i think this may do it
          If you figure this out... I will be tossing DTV out the window. The only thing keeping me connected is the wife and her damn Bravo channel... Her addiction to the housewives is almost clinical.

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
            kodi / nextpvr

Jeff,

Why not just pick up a Kodi android box???
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
              If you figure this out... I will be tossing DTV out the window. The only thing keeping me connected is the wife and her damn Bravo channel... Her addiction to the housewives is almost clinical.
              did you see my link on how to get a computer running....

hdhomerun prime, win10, kodi, next pvr, mcebuddy and plex?

now this is with a cable subscription but they have OTA units..
              here is my link...
              http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=177490

so funny thing about plex. has abc/nbc channels.. wifes soaps are there for last 5 days WITHOUT COMMERCIALS!!!!

so im closer to cutting the tv cable BUT hallmark channel has kept me from doing so.. and guess what...

KODI HAS HALLMARK CHANNEL!!!!!! so i maybe ok.. bet they have your channel too!!!!

Originally posted by langenet View Post
              Jeff,

Why not just pick up a Kodi android box???

you tell me a good one to get and i will consider. the problem I can tell you right now is reading on the kodi forums that they are getting pissed at all the side sales of android units with kodi pre installed all hacked.. guy at work bought one $400... has every "non supported" channel installed...

so kodi developers are looking at a way to lock this down to certain devices.. they have them listed on their site. yes these people will use those models too but now the price goes up and people may steer away from it then..

think of it..
              $400 for a device and kodi is free...
              $400 for someone to setup a kodi device - $0 made that isnt how people roll
              $800 for someone to do what they have been doing.. well im not gonna pay $800...
              guy at work said $400 was tough to chew so anything more and he would do that...

Comment

Personally here have only utilized Intel / KodiBuntu builds. I do have Kodi installed on my Linux desktops / laptops these days.

Tinkering with an alternative to Plex called Emby. It is just about the same from what I can see.

I installed it on my alternate to MythTV box using another program called VDR.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
                HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
                HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  Personally here have only utilized Intel / KodiBuntu builds.
                  list out models??? and if you recommend them?

Comment

Old are my Aopen Digital Engines. Purchased them in bulk. These are commercial and built to last. New ones though are not cheap. (IE: > $300).

New playing with are Atom Baytrail running 64bit Ubuntu (faster and better for running Kodi) except for tiny storage. Cheap at around $100.

I do save stuff temporarily on the digital engines. Mostly for a short time.

KODI folks have been pushing the NVIDIA SHIELD. This device is around $200.

The NVIDIA Shield is a popular Kodi box that has many added features.

It has a Quad core CPU, 802.11ac WiFi, Built in Micro-SD slot, and USB 3.0.

Different models can be bought that give more internal hard drive space. Most Kodi boxes dont give this option and have limited internal space. If you have a large video library you want to store and play than hard drives up-to 500 GB can be bought pre-installed.

You mentioned earlier getting an Intel NUC. Mostly have read folks being happy with the NUC as a KODI box.
                    Last edited by Pete; May 5th, 2016, 12:54 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
                    HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
                    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

I have a NUC (Win 10) running a projector and am using Kodi on it. On the other TVs, I'm running the Nvidia Shield TV, which I'm really enjoying. I use the SPMC fork of Kodi and get high-def audio (TrueHD, DTS-HD) and the box works quite well. I also like it in that I can:

o YouTube app: Nice interface and the speech control works pretty well
                      o Netflix
                      o Retro Gaming: A variety of emulators are available

The entire interface works quite well.

I've been looking to move from Kodi for a long time (they have some seriously grump devs) but have not found anything to move to. I have tried Plex along with Emby but the UI hasn't enticed me yet. I use Aeon MQ 6 on Kodi (both NUC and Nvidia Shield TVs)

There is also a nice Kodi plugin available for HS3. I've been able to send notifications through it:

o Banner that the doorbell was rung
                      o Banner that driveway sensor was tripped along with images from my outside camera.

Also, Yatse has a neat addition: Call Plugin. When I receive a call on my Android device, whatever I'm watching is immediately paused and a banner displays who is calling. When I hang up, whatever I'm playing is resumed

Comment

Another option here that I have used for many years is PlayOnTv. You can can record stuff in the cloud for later viewing with PlayOnTV. Purchased a lifetime sub way back.

Just noticed too that you can purchase a lifetime sub with Emby. I do not really stream much to tablets these days though.

Spud's is the publisher of the KODI plugin.

All said personally here lately stream more and record less these days. Wife continues to record / watch her cooking shows. Personally mostly just watch movies.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        HS4 Lite -

Comment

I am a fan of the Dell Micro3050. I just purchased a 2nd unit. $150 on Amazon. I think it is an incredible buy. Yes it has a very small hard drive (32GB) but it is easy to add extra memory via an SD card or USB drive. I think it is the perfect platform for HS3 stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Here I have been building a Windows 10 touchscreen client.

With one micro pc I just used a microSD which was 32Gb giving me some 64Gb.

Been playing too with another computer running W10. (jogglers).

Initially here started with a 16Gb SSD base and it worked fine. I started all over again using a 64Gb SSD base. I have been tweaking it down and have it now at around 9 Gb. Today found out that the newest updates to Windows 10 doesn't let you delete Cortana. I was able to remove it fine though with some tweaking tools.

Relating to running HS3 I was able to run Ubuntu 64 bit just fine on the mini PC. It was faster than running Windows 10 32 bit. It would do better for Homeseer 3 in Ubuntu than the RPi2-3 and the built in MMC would stand up a bit better than running it on a microSD. Ideally an .m2 SATA add to the micropc would be nicer.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            HS4 Lite -

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                              I am a fan of the Dell Micro3050. I just purchased a 2nd unit. $150 on Amazon. I think it is an incredible buy. Yes it has a very small hard drive (32GB) but it is easy to add extra memory via an SD card or USB drive. I think it is the perfect platform for HS3 stuff.
                              Steve,

I have read with great interest your posts regarding the 3050. My old Dell 4400 tower finally completely bit the dust after faltering for the last year or so. I've moved to another old tower for now, but it's time for a new box, and the idea of the 3050 is quite intriguing.

So, why the 2nd unit?

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X