Yet another way to track online activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another way to track online activity

A way to use the 'sound' of your computer working to uniquely identify it as you traverse the web:
    http://techcrunch.com/2016/05/19/aud...s-study-finds/
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    A way to use the 'sound' of your computer working to uniquely identify it as you traverse the web:
    http://techcrunch.com/2016/05/19/aud...s-study-finds/
    Warning link contains malware!!!!
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
      Warning link contains malware!!!!
      Seriously? What is the nature of the malware?
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Techcrunch is a pretty reputable site.

Comment

Detected the model of my Android phone and threatened to forcibly lock it within the next 24 hours if I didn't send them money had to forcibly close the browser

Comment

You may already have some sort of malware installed then. Didn't pick anything up at the site.

Just tested it on my Nexus 6 using Chrome as well (I had only tested on my desktop).

Opens just fine. Looking at the source of the page there isn't anything there either. Maybe you had something opened in another tab?

Comment

Here's a direct link to the audio fingerprint test page.

https://audiofingerprint.openwpm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
                Detected the model of my Android phone and threatened to forcibly lock it within the next 24 hours if I didn't send them money had to forcibly close the browser
                I can't find anything like that on the page. Ghostery shows only the normal array of trackers. (Albeit 17!) Norton doesn't report any suspicious activity in either FF or Chrome.

Comment

probably came through on their add banner, this is getting more common. Tried again and it was OK.

Comment

Working...
                  X