Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete
    replied
    It's more about tranferring the original OS to the USB connected SSD which boots via USB but not via ZIF now. Helps me learn about W10.

It is understood that the device is old (now around 7 years old).

I have not seen any Intel based tablet top touchscreen that is even close to the quality of this product. It was made a bit ahead of it's time and made to last a long time. (IE: I have had a few of these POE powered on now for about 5 years 24/7 with no hardware failures)

Yup; here have one WGL800 that went south periodically.

Sent it to WGL and they told me there was nothing wrong with it.

The two replacement WGL800's running today have done fine now for many years.

Lost two Rain8nets due to lightning damage. Called WGL to see if they would fix them and they said no.

I purchased two replacements (new but never used) from a Homeseer user a few years back and those have worked fine now for a few years.

With the above two endeavours I wouldn't recommend purchasing any product from WGL.

I don't think they care much any more for any business anyways.

Geez just checked and WGL and they still have a website....thought they had closed up shop already....
    Last edited by Pete; June 5, 2016, 08:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mikaluch
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete View Post
    4 - well now in to the W10 repair stuff (rabbit hole). Might start all over again instead using a partition copy instead of a write to new USB SSD thing.
    5 - downloaded a W10 rescue PE disk to see if I can fix the 16Gb W10 booting issues. What a PITA. Might be easier to start from scratch.
    That's where I get into trouble. I have so many old devices around here that I'll be looking for something, find something else interesting, and then spend an inordinate amount of time trying to fix the old hardware. I waste far too much time that way. To the point where it is extremely frustrating. I'm like the Black Knight. Don't know when to give up. I have spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get my old W800 and V572 to work and I don't even have a plan as to what I would do with them in my system. I finally gave them to my wife yesterday and asked her to put them in a box and ship them to WGL. That way I can't goof with them any more.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Thanks Mike.

Yes that is what I am doing with the USB / MMC devices; only it takes longer to mount the USB stick/MMC causing a boot error. The error is just stating that the USB stick isn't ready yet; then a minute or so it is. Well I have also a small 1Gb Linux build that runs fine directly from the MMC.

I am testing a W10 set up on a 64 Gb SSD. I think I will just move this to a 16Gb SSD and use the 64Gb SSD for Linux and not use the USB anymore as I do not really need it.

I am going to try this in vivo today booting to W10; resizing the image from 64 Gb to 16 GB; then writing the smaller image to a connected 16Gb SSD drive (via USB) and see if that works. I am having some issues with W10 waking up now remote controlled which is a PITA.

Live TV playback is working better for me on Linux than it is on Windows 10 (on the Joggler). It works fine though whatever way I use with the Quad core Atom (versus the dual threaded Atom on the Joggler) unless I use a Crystal HD card in the Joggler.

Just checking on the W10 build and it is right now at 11 GB. I am doing a bunch of stuff with it and it is nice and tight. I have removed all of the fluff and it is not coming back. The block list on the W10 firewall is probably over 100 IP addresses (all Microsoft).

I probably could move these all over to the PFSense firewall but it would be a PITA as MS keeps adding IP's.

So now doing this:

For Windows 10

1 - changing the Windows partition size to 15 Gb using MiniTools partition manager. (it is free and works well).
    2 - copying the partition(s) over to a 16 Gb SSD. Using MiniTools partition manager. First trying the partition copy over to SSD. Looks to be working fine. I have the new SSD on a USB to ZIF SSD device.
    3 - Interesting now it also boots W10 directly from the USB connected SSD drive. Moving the drive internally now.
    4 - well now in to the W10 repair stuff (rabbit hole). Might start all over again instead using a partition copy instead of a write to new USB SSD thing.
    5 - downloaded a W10 rescue PE disk to see if I can fix the 16Gb W10 booting issues. What a PITA. Might be easier to start from scratch.
    6 - it is easy now to cleanse the base build (10 minutes now).

For Ubuntu

1 - building a new from scratch build on the 64 Gb SSD
    2 - originally had issues writing a small image to the 64Gb SSD via my laptop linux machine. Will try doing this all on the Joggler. IE: booting off of one Linux stick, connecting a second linux stick (with new build) and copying the second Linux stick over to the new SSD.

Hardware wise I have modified the Linux Joggler with an RTC clock connected to the GPIO pins and it is working fine in Linux. I tested this in W10 and I couldn't get it to read the second RTC clock unless I make it a USB stick RTC clock.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete; June 5, 2016, 12:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mikaluch
    replied
    Yeah I would just chalk that up to the linux implementation of USB, which still seems to be somewhat of a hack. What if instead of mounting it directly you make it an automount in fstab? Will it then mount whenever it is ready? I haven't tried that - just making it up as I go.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    First SSD drive boots fine. The MMC drive known as mmcblk0p2 also boots fine with a ram drive.

When I mount (in fstab) the user root partitions to either the MMC or USB I get a boot error. Just using them for /bin and or /sbin.

If I wait about 5 seconds and hit retry or ignore the two drives mount just fine. It is just like they are slower to mount.

Leave a comment:

• mikaluch
    replied
    I guess I'm missing the problem then. Whichever / drive you designate, the third drive won't load until later? Is the third drive for data? Where does it mount? Could that mount be delayed until the OS is up and running?

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Yup it is an simple EFI grub config boot in a FAT boot partition....which then points to the EXT4 partition with the main OS.

There is no BIOS that you can see. It is just an EFI boot rom.

EFI boot startup file is: (the fs0: refers to the built in MMC partition which now has nothing in it). startup and boot efi are the same.

There is a grub.efi file which loads up the grub.cfg file.

Code:
    fs1:grub
    fs0:boot

Code:
    loadfont /unicode.pf2
    terminal_output gfxterm
    set timeout=5
    menuentry "Xubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty) - 3.2.71joggler1" {
      linux /vmlinuz-3.2.71joggler1 root=LABEL=linux-root ro acpi=force quiet splash
      initrd /initrd.img-3.2.71joggler1
    }

Leave a comment:

• mikaluch
    replied
    I don't see any information on your bootloader. Could it be a lite version that can only mount one drive until the OS kernel is loaded?

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    started a topic Linux hardware issue question and help?

Linux hardware issue question and help?

I have a Linux touchscreen running Ubuntu 14.XX 32 bit lite GUI.

Works great running off a 16Gb SSD. Running out of space decided to make use of a little USB stick inside next to the SSD card.

There is also a one Gb MMC soldered on to the mother which I am also using for Linux.

Initially configured FSTAB with the following which works great.

Code:
    # tmpfs            /tmp           tmpfs   defaults                0       0
    /dev/mmcblk0p2     /media/mmc     ext4    defaults     0          2
    tmpfs              /media/mmc/ramdisk tmpfs rw,size=512M 0 0
    I am trying to extend the root of the SSD to the MMC and or the USB.

When I do this I get a delay in mounting either the MMC or USB. I hit ignore and it eventually loads.

What am I doing wrong here?

MMC - get an error relating to the MMC not being ready.

Code:
    # 1-2 Gb MMC.  I can boot Linux from the MMC fine.
    # /dev/mmcblk0p2     /media/mmc/bin  ext4  auto,defaults,nobootwait 0 2
    # /dev/mmcblk0p2     /media/mmc/sbin ext4  defaults 0  2    
    # UUID=eb65daac-f98e-4a95-83b2-0a84442a4b93  /media/mmc/sbin ext4  defaults 0  2
    USB stick - get an error relating to the USB stick not being ready. I can boot Linux from the 8Gb USB stick just fine.

Code:
    # USB stick
    # /dev/uba1        /media/stick     ext4 bind,auto,defaults,nobootwait 0 2
    # /dev/uba1        /media/stick/bin ext4 defaults 0  2
Working...
X