Eek, hard drive 2 vanished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eek, hard drive 2 vanished

My second HD has vanished from Windows XP!

It is there in Drive management, but has no drive letter

anyone know how to get it back?
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"
    HomeSeer 3 V 3.0.0.318 with ALEXA (AKA Amazon Echo)
    BL Radar V2.0.217; BLRF V2.0.85.0; HS Touch V3.0.0.1034 X10 V3.0.0.42; PHLocation V3.0.0.38; Zwave V3.0.1.110; X10 V3.0.0.42
    BLBackup V2.0.39;ImperiHome3.0.0.20 All on Windows XP Pro

Might have failed. Do you have a back up of what was on it?

Install a smartdrive program to check it out.

You can also try to low level fix it maybe.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Might have failed. Do you have a back up of what was on it?

Install a smartdrive program to check it out.

You can also try to low level fix it maybe.
      Hey pete, hoped you would pick this up as you know the machine.

I do not have a backup it is the backup drive! I'll try a smartdrive programme.
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"
      BL Radar V2.0.217; BLRF V2.0.85.0; HS Touch V3.0.0.1034 X10 V3.0.0.42; PHLocation V3.0.0.38; Zwave V3.0.1.110; X10 V3.0.0.42

Comment

Yeah it'll be a PITA to repair it if it is really in bad shape.

Best to keep it powered off until you can see what is wrong with it.

And use a USB to SATA device to check it.

Google drive repair utilities. BUT be very careful using them.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
        HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Yeah it'll be a PITA to repair it if it is really in bad shape.

Best to keep it powered off until you can see what is wrong with it.

And use a USB to SATA device to check it.

Google drive repair utilities. BUT be very careful using them.
          Pete, this is getting more interesting, the PC certainally finds the drive, it shows up in device manager and I can check it with third party prigrammes, just no drive letter.

see attached files.
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
            Pete, this is getting more interesting, the PC certainally finds the drive, it shows up in device manager and I can check it with third party prigrammes, just no drive letter.

see attached files.
            Just out of curiosity, have you tried assigning a drive letter through the disk manager. My Computer>Manage>Disk Management>right click on the drive>Change Drive Letter and Paths>Add. When you get into disk management it should indicate whether the drive is partitioned and formatted. If it won't let you add a letter, then the formatting has probably been lost.

I have had drive letters removed from functional drives on a couple of occasions over the years without really knowing why.
            Randy Prade
            Aurora, CO
            Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              Just out of curiosity, have you tried assigning a drive letter through the disk manager. My Computer>Manage>Disk Management>right click on the drive>Change Drive Letter and Paths>Add. When you get into disk management it should indicate whether the drive is partitioned and formatted. If it won't let you add a letter, then the formatting has probably been lost.

I have had drive letters removed from functional drives on a couple of occasions over the years without really knowing why.
              Yes thought of doing that, however it is not an option in disk management
              sigpic

Comment

Yes thought of doing that, however it is not an option in disk management
                Then it looks like the partition has been lost or is no longer formatted. How does the disk manager display that drive? Can you post a screenshot?
                Randy Prade
                Aurora, CO
                Prades.net

Comment

Then it looks like the partition has been lost or is no longer formatted. How does the disk manager display that drive? Can you post a screenshot?
                  sigpic

Comment

The image didn't show.
                    Randy Prade
                    Aurora, CO
                    Prades.net

Comment

The image didn't show.
                      Erm when I look at your post the image is there in your quote! I will try and attach it.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

Erm when I look at your post the image is there in your quote! I will try and attach it.
                        This one shows. It is clear that the drive lost its partitioning information. I have no idea how it could have happened. There may be some tools out there to recover the partition data, but if this is an SSD, it is unlikely you could recover it. Was there anything you were doing at the time the partition vanished?
                        Randy Prade
                        Aurora, CO
                        Prades.net

Comment

This one shows. It is clear that the drive lost its partitioning information. I have no idea how it could have happened. There may be some tools out there to recover the partition data, but if this is an SSD, it is unlikely you could recover it. Was there anything you were doing at the time the partition vanished?
                          it vanished when I re-installed XP, wonder if I should bite the bit and upgrade to W10 and see if it reapears, very tempted to do just that.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hello Gordon,

I am thinking that the two 2.5" drives in the little raid cage were identical and each was 120Gb large.

Identically for a image back up or running a raid 1 set up.

I remember doing the XP install with Homeseer 2. I think though you reinstalled XP.

I do not understand though why the second drive is 223Gb?

Looking now at old emails of what I had sent. I did duplicate what I had here with the Foxconn.

PicoPSU, 2 drive 2.5" drive cage, one DVD/CD burner in the front and added one Serial port in the back were the opening was for the regular power supply eh?

Found the emails. You powered it up around May 5, 2012 and asked about leaving the drives in the locked position.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            HS4 Lite -

Comment

Hello Gordon,

I am thinking that the two 2.5" drives in the little raid cage were identical and each was 120Gb large.

Identically for a image back up or running a raid 1 set up.

I remember doing the XP install with Homeseer 2. I think though you reinstalled XP.

I do not understand though why the second drive is 223Gb?

Looking now at old emails of what I had sent. I did duplicate what I had here with the Foxconn.

PicoPSU, 2 drive 2.5" drive cage, one DVD/CD burner in the front and added one Serial port in the back were the opening was for the regular power supply eh?
                              Pete I change Drive 1 some time ago and it worked perfectly. you remember the spec well.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X