Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eek, hard drive 2 vanished

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Eek, hard drive 2 vanished

    My second HD has vanished from Windows XP!

    It is there in Drive management, but has no drive letter

    anyone know how to get it back?
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

    #2
    Might have failed. Do you have a back up of what was on it?

    Install a smartdrive program to check it out.

    You can also try to low level fix it maybe.
    - Pete

    Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
    6.10.0.104
    HS4 Lite -

    X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Might have failed. Do you have a back up of what was on it?

      Install a smartdrive program to check it out.

      You can also try to low level fix it maybe.
      Hey pete, hoped you would pick this up as you know the machine.

      I do not have a backup it is the backup drive! I'll try a smartdrive programme.
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

      Comment


        #4
        Yeah it'll be a PITA to repair it if it is really in bad shape.

        Best to keep it powered off until you can see what is wrong with it.

        And use a USB to SATA device to check it.

        Google drive repair utilities. BUT be very careful using them.
        - Pete

        Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
        HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
        6.10.0.104
        HS4 Lite -

        X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Yeah it'll be a PITA to repair it if it is really in bad shape.

          Best to keep it powered off until you can see what is wrong with it.

          And use a USB to SATA device to check it.

          Google drive repair utilities. BUT be very careful using them.
          Pete, this is getting more interesting, the PC certainally finds the drive, it shows up in device manager and I can check it with third party prigrammes, just no drive letter.

          see attached files.
          Attached Files
          sigpic
          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Gogs View Post
            Pete, this is getting more interesting, the PC certainally finds the drive, it shows up in device manager and I can check it with third party prigrammes, just no drive letter.

            see attached files.
            Just out of curiosity, have you tried assigning a drive letter through the disk manager. My Computer>Manage>Disk Management>right click on the drive>Change Drive Letter and Paths>Add. When you get into disk management it should indicate whether the drive is partitioned and formatted. If it won't let you add a letter, then the formatting has probably been lost.

            I have had drive letters removed from functional drives on a couple of occasions over the years without really knowing why.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by rprade View Post
              Just out of curiosity, have you tried assigning a drive letter through the disk manager. My Computer>Manage>Disk Management>right click on the drive>Change Drive Letter and Paths>Add. When you get into disk management it should indicate whether the drive is partitioned and formatted. If it won't let you add a letter, then the formatting has probably been lost.

              I have had drive letters removed from functional drives on a couple of occasions over the years without really knowing why.
              Yes thought of doing that, however it is not an option in disk management
              sigpic
              A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Gogs View Post
                Yes thought of doing that, however it is not an option in disk management
                Then it looks like the partition has been lost or is no longer formatted. How does the disk manager display that drive? Can you post a screenshot?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  Then it looks like the partition has been lost or is no longer formatted. How does the disk manager display that drive? Can you post a screenshot?
                  sigpic
                  A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Gogs View Post
                    The image didn't show.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by rprade View Post
                      The image didn't show.
                      Erm when I look at your post the image is there in your quote! I will try and attach it.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic
                      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Gogs View Post
                        Erm when I look at your post the image is there in your quote! I will try and attach it.
                        This one shows. It is clear that the drive lost its partitioning information. I have no idea how it could have happened. There may be some tools out there to recover the partition data, but if this is an SSD, it is unlikely you could recover it. Was there anything you were doing at the time the partition vanished?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by rprade View Post
                          This one shows. It is clear that the drive lost its partitioning information. I have no idea how it could have happened. There may be some tools out there to recover the partition data, but if this is an SSD, it is unlikely you could recover it. Was there anything you were doing at the time the partition vanished?
                          it vanished when I re-installed XP, wonder if I should bite the bit and upgrade to W10 and see if it reapears, very tempted to do just that.
                          sigpic
                          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Hello Gordon,

                            I am thinking that the two 2.5" drives in the little raid cage were identical and each was 120Gb large.

                            Identically for a image back up or running a raid 1 set up.

                            I remember doing the XP install with Homeseer 2. I think though you reinstalled XP.

                            I do not understand though why the second drive is 223Gb?

                            Looking now at old emails of what I had sent. I did duplicate what I had here with the Foxconn.

                            PicoPSU, 2 drive 2.5" drive cage, one DVD/CD burner in the front and added one Serial port in the back were the opening was for the regular power supply eh?

                            Found the emails. You powered it up around May 5, 2012 and asked about leaving the drives in the locked position.
                            - Pete

                            Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
                            HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
                            6.10.0.104
                            HS4 Lite -

                            X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Pete View Post
                              Hello Gordon,

                              I am thinking that the two 2.5" drives in the little raid cage were identical and each was 120Gb large.

                              Identically for a image back up or running a raid 1 set up.

                              I remember doing the XP install with Homeseer 2. I think though you reinstalled XP.

                              I do not understand though why the second drive is 223Gb?

                              Looking now at old emails of what I had sent. I did duplicate what I had here with the Foxconn.

                              PicoPSU, 2 drive 2.5" drive cage, one DVD/CD burner in the front and added one Serial port in the back were the opening was for the regular power supply eh?
                              Pete I change Drive 1 some time ago and it worked perfectly. you remember the spec well.
                              sigpic
                              A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X