Windows 10 hardware for HS3PRO - recommendations please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 hardware for HS3PRO - recommendations please

Please help us select appropriate hardware for a dedicated host for HS3PRO. As background, I am a retired systems engineer with experience in machine tool control and coding, and no experience in home automation. I intend to sense, control, and automate our place to a large extent, and I understand that it will take years to learn, select equipment, and implement. As far as I can tell, HomeSeer HS3PRO is the software to use. I want to buy hardware that is compatible with what we already have and that will last a long time without need for upgrade.

As to the hardware, the S6 has the required I/O ports, yet comes only with Windows 7 embedded. Our other systems are all Windows 10, and it is preferable to have only one operating system to understand and support. Also, more main memory and solid state disk, and maybe a more-capable processor should make the hardware capable of flexibility and expansion over the years.

Therefore, please recommend a small fanless PC, suitable for Windows 10 and HS3PRO and a supplier of that system.

Thanks,
    -Z-
    Last edited by Z-noob; October 25th, 2016, 09:02 AM. Reason: Did nor read "NON-HomeSeer" I appologize. Please delete post.

Welcome to the Homeseer forum -Z-.

Homeseer today runs on just about any type of hardware and OS (Linux, Wintel or iOS).

CPU's which are ARM, Intel, AMD do fine.

Serial / USB hardware connectivity today is easy peasey stuff. Here went to Digi powered USB hubs / Digi Serial Edgeports connected to Wintel server working fine in the early middle 2000's.

It really depends on you and how much automation you want to do relating to plugins, scripts et al. As it's always been relating to speed of CPU / amount of available memory.

IE: many homeseer users are using industrial looking mini PC's that run Intel Atom Baytrail or faster CPUs with 2Gb of RAM.

I have a PipoX7 here the size of a small paperback with build in WLAN, Bluetooth and NIC with 2Gb of RAM and running the OS on an MMC chip / SD Card. This device is running Windows 10. It does fine running HS3. Here use it as a Homeseer 3 touchscreen client.

Today running HS3 Pro on an Intel iSeries CPU / 16Gb of memory in Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit Linux with VBs running Wintel server for SAPI or whatever. The original Zee-2 was running on an RPi2 with Wheezy. I have migrated it over to a small footprint PC called the Xi3/Xi5A which has a 32 Gb SSD / 2Gb of RAM and runs Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit server.

All said above; today basing mothership HS3 running on Linux while running W10 or Wintel touchscreen clients and slave devices. You can today run a plugin on Wintel (well not all of them) and have it connect to the mothership in Linux.

So I mix the two (Linux & Wintel) OS's to get the best bang for my buck here.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Take a look at the system in my signature. I run W7, but it will run W10 too. I use the i7 processor, but if all you'll do is run HS on it, the i3 or i5 will do.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you @sparkman and @Pete,

You have answered my questions. I appreciate the insight from you obviously experienced users.

I'm on the way, and certain there will be more questions.

-Z-

Comment

Good news -Z-. Baby steps now.

Back in the HS2 days last updated hardware (running Wintel server) and two boxes was one small footprint Atom D525 (FoxConn) and same sized box using an Industrial BCM small footprint Intel Core Duo CPU. Both ran HS2 fine (laptop style CPU with laptop style RAM using a notebook style power supply.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Specs on fanless 4k mini PC

Pete,

I've seen a number of your posts and it sounds like you have many of the apps/parts/systems I have. I'm moving away from Premise, running my OPII and to Homeseer.

I'd like to get the best value for a fanless mini capable of supporting:
            HomeSeer
            -all plug-ins?
            Denon, Global Cache, weather, OmniPro II, ObiHai,
            Windows Media Center, DLNA,
            PLEX Server
            Remote access
            -PC Access (to update FW of OPII

Be great if it could do 4K to my theater as well.

thoughts? I've looked at some NUCs with 8g/256SSD but am unsure of speed, etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comment

Welcome to the HS forum Kelly.

Typically here have dedicated one PC to HS in general. Many folks utilize higher end boxes to do multiple VM instances of different OS / dedicated boxes. A few folks also combine functions to one box and one OS. Personally I prefer to leave automation on it's own box.

Main laptops today are running Ubuntu 16.04 with VBs of Wintel. IE: HS Designer runs on a VB on the network such that I can get it from any place. PCA runs on laptop with Wine or a Wintel VB. My tabletop touch screens run in Wintel or Linux such that they also run OmniTouch Pro (old version), HSTouch, Squeezeplayer, et al.

I have today switched over to running both HS3-Lite and HS3 Pro on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.

That said I am running instances of W7,W2003 and W10 on the Intel Haswell iSeries computer today using Oracle VB. VB instances are all for HS. IE: One VB is dedicated to HS speaker instances for two HS3 computers. Another works for Kinect / Alexa plugins which I have been testing.

Thinking an NUC i7 / 16Gb of memory would work for you.

So specs on the dedicated main HS3 Pro box are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 4 cores
              16Gb of RAM
              120Gb of an .m2 SATA card.
              Haswell chip set
              Ubuntu 16.04
              Audio out for TTS (combine audio TTS today with a mixer plus multiple instances of speaker dot exe). VR is using (testing) Kinect, MS VR, Amazon Echo VR.

Currently helping a Homeseer peer building a combo 8 drive NAS plus HS3 Pro server box using an iSeries 5 plus 16Gb of RAM. This box will be running Ubuntu 16.04 main OS and NAS4Free BSD VB box to utilize second NIC on box.

I DIY'd this build in to a small mITX case. A couple of years ago purchased a case of small mITX cases in which I have now moved some 6 servers to such that they all match.

NAS boxes are different. 3 X 4-5 drives and 1 X 8 drive boxes.

I used to run Windows Media center a few years back and currently run KODI today as an STB (using Aopen Digital engines), HDHomerun boxes and MythTV / DVR back ends.

I keep the heartbeat of the home (basic automation) to the OmniPro 2 using X10, UPB and Z-Wave, Zigbee, audio, HVAC stuff. Basics here with integration to security. For more interplay and higher levels of automation utilize Homeseer also connected to X10, UPB and Z-Wave. I have CCTV integration to the OmniTouch touch 5.7 screens along with Homeseer touch screens.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              HS4 Lite -

Comment

Excellent! Thanks!

I may be moving to PLEX full-time with the addition of DVR integration to HDHR but that is still a work in progress. WMC is very stable for us and the home users know how to use it. Thought I'd go to 8.1 with WMC addin for next year or so but want to get it off a very hot laptop.

KODI has been an issue for me getting it set up. Too many issues with the plug ins and I don't have a bunch of time right now to figure it out. Is the DVR simple and working?

Based on what I'm integrating are there HS and plugin limitations to running on RPi3? If I want the most flexibility and upgrade-ability should I just go with a windows box?

Thanks,

Comment

Is the DVR simple and working?

Yes. Using (testing three these days).

1 - MythTV
                  2 - Video Disk Recorder (VDR)
                  3 - TV HeadEnd

Using OTA, HDHomerun, Satellite card these days.

Starting to play with IPTV; works fine so far.

I really don't even watch much television these days.

Relating to KODI have always used it via Ubuntu / Linux in production use. Never have had an issue with it.

Current testing an Amazon Prime video plugin which works fine for me with Kodi.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  HS4 Lite -

Comment

Thanks again!

I suppose the easiest way to check plugin compatibility to OS (windows, raspi, linux, etc.) is to track down each plugin in its forum?

Or is there central table (db) that lists all of them and what os/version will work.

If I keep stuff separate then I could do a RasPi3 with HSPro. Will it run? Then would all of the plugins I need for the hardware (above) work?

Also, had you used Premise?

Comment

The table here http://www.homeseer.com/homeseer-plug-ins.html shows the ones compatible with linux marked as **. Note that this list is only for the plugins that are made available through the HS updater. There are additional plugins available that need to be manually installed. I don't think there is one comprehensive list that covers every available plugin.

Cheers
                      Al
                      HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
                      Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

If I keep stuff separate then I could do a RasPi3 with HSPro. Will it run?

Yes.

But you can push the RPi3 with HS3 Pro some as it will only run in 32 bit mode, has 1Gb of ram and a clock speed of 1.2 GHz.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        HS4 Lite -

Comment

Thanks both of you! Link is very helpful.

As connected intelligent devices take off it would be a great best practice to have a central db for all plugins to report interoperability to various OS's...and maybe each other. Big job but could be self reported and forum advised.

Landscape team cut through many of my perimeter sensor wires so will need to move to wireless. Do I add wireless to OPII or add zwave to HS3.

Pete, how do you determine to what system you add capabilities? OPII can do a lot but has limited software. Are we constrained by the OPII plugin?

Thanks,

Comment

Landscape team cut through many of my perimeter sensor wires so will need to move to wireless. Do I add wireless to OPII or add zwave to HS3.

Add wireless to the OP2.

Here have both 45A00-1

and 45A00-2

I have tested both to work fine and utilize one wireless FOB.

That said I had the irrigation company add more underground PVC and had my landscapers pulling cable way long time ago. (HV, LV fo CCTV, sensors et al).

Personally I would have your landscapers fix your sensor wires or you can just tone out where the wires are cut if you wanted to.

Pete, how do you determine to what system you add capabilities?

I do as much as I can with the OP2 panel relating to automation (base heartbeat of the home).

OPII can do a lot but has limited software. Are we constrained by the Homeseer OPII plugin?

Yes.

I use HAI Leviton OmniTouch screens here with Homeseer Touch screens.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            HS4 Lite -

Comment

Thanks for this info. I'll need to do this asap as I couldn't fix some of the sensor wires. seems like a strong wireless solution just makes sense to have.

I did purchase an i7 fanless miniPC, with 6 serial ports and 2 hdmi's, 6 usbs

Now I need to get the correct plugins (see what came with HSPro and what didn't). I'll also move over to the OPII plugin forum to begin seeing what it can do.

Can't wait to get Alexa going with this. Fun for the holidays!

...I wish 4k projectors would come down in price...

Kelly

Comment

Working...
                              X