Amazon Fire 8" with New charging dock on sales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    Do these have ads? I bought two Fire's last Black Friday and they have ads on the screen when you turn it on.
    You can buy any of the fire tablets without the ads. I think it adds about $25 to the price.

Comment

Originally posted by ralnet View Post
      I am talking about the fire kindle 8 7th gen. I bought the new stand as I use it mostly for ring and cameras
      Originally posted by lj502 View Post
      I use several 10" fire tablets, work great in landscape mode.
      John
      So just to be clear: the 7th gen tablets will not work with HST in landscape mode, but 8th gen (the latest ones) will?

Comment

The 7th gen (newest model) Fire HD10 went on sale today for $100. Is 32GB enough for HS Touch? Will the ads on the base model pose a problem? If so, I think I'll pay the extra $15 to get it without the "special offers".

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post
          The 7th gen (newest model) Fire HD10 went on sale today for $100. Is 32GB enough for HS Touch? Will the ads on the base model pose a problem? If so, I think I'll pay the extra $15 to get it without the "special offers".
          I’ve asked this question before and was told if you always have HST running they don’t interrupt with ads. They are on the lock screen. I’m thinking for $15 to not be bothered is worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          HS3 3.0.0.500 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 782 Devices, 479 Events
          Plugin's:
          BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
          EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
          weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

Comment

So I picked up a Fire HD10. I got the HSTouch app installed, and am able to view all of my equipment through the default app. How do I get it to switch to landscape mode? I can get the tablet to switch to LS, but not the HST app. Do I have to create a landscape version in the Designer?

Comment

So I picked up a Fire HD10. I got the HSTouch app installed, and am able to view all of my equipment through the default app. How do I get it to switch to landscape mode? I can get the tablet to switch to LS, but not the HST app. Do I have to create a landscape version in the Designer?
              Yes, I believe you do. I think the default project was made to view on a phone so it’s only in portrait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              HS3 3.0.0.500 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 782 Devices, 479 Events
              Plugin's:
              BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
              EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
              weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

Comment

I beleive that HS3Touch comes with two default configurations, one portrait and one landscape. You can switch to the landscape configuration using the Settings menu item in the HS3Touch application.

On your own projects, landscape mode is set in the project's configuration screen.

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
                  I beleive that HS3Touch comes with two default configurations, one portrait and one landscape. You can switch to the landscape configuration using the Settings menu item in the HS3Touch application.

On your own projects, landscape mode is set in the project's configuration screen.
                  As far as I can tell, there is no way to change the orientation in the HST app. However, there are 2 default configs in the HS Designer that you can deploy to the tablet. One is LS, one is portrait. However, they are both way too small for the Fire HD10, which is 1920 x 1200. The defaults are something like 800 x 600. Easy to change the overall size, but then you have to move and resize everything to make it look good. Not a problem though. I was just trying to make sure it all worked in LS mode.

Overall, I really like the Fire HD10. Very nice looking screen, and feels good in your hands. I think this is a great option for an HST display. A bunch of places have them on sale for $99 this weekend.

Comment

Just to clarify some misinformation here (in case anyone searches out this thread):

Tha Amazon Fire HD 8 will work in Landscape mode just fine. However, not so much when on the charging dock. I think the bug is in HS3 Touch:

The landscape mode for HS3 Touch assumes that you will be turning the tablet to the left (counter-clockwise) to enter landscape. However, the charging connectors on the charging dock require you to turn the tablet to the right (clockwise). This will result in a Touch display that is upsdde down.

I experimented a little with the landscape settings, with setting the landscape option to both (in the project). Works even worse. ALth0ugh the display will be right side up, HS3 Touch does not honor the "Fit to screen" settings, so you end up with a distored display. I tried various combinations of settings, and could not eliminate the severe distortion.

Other programs running on the FIre HD 8 work correctly in landscape, which is why I thing the problem is within HS3 Touch. Now if I can figure out how to mount the charging dock upside down....

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
                      Just to clarify some misinformation here (in case anyone searches out this thread):

Tha Amazon Fire HD 8 will work in Landscape mode just fine. However, not so much when on the charging dock. I think the bug is in HS3 Touch:

The landscape mode for HS3 Touch assumes that you will be turning the tablet to the left (counter-clockwise) to enter landscape. However, the charging connectors on the charging dock require you to turn the tablet to the right (clockwise). This will result in a Touch display that is upsdde down.

I experimented a little with the landscape settings, with setting the landscape option to both (in the project). Works even worse. ALth0ugh the display will be right side up, HS3 Touch does not honor the "Fit to screen" settings, so you end up with a distored display. I tried various combinations of settings, and could not eliminate the severe distortion.

Other programs running on the FIre HD 8 work correctly in landscape, which is why I thing the problem is within HS3 Touch. Now if I can figure out how to mount the charging dock upside down....
                      Thanks for the update. Why do you say that you need to figure out how to mount it upside down? You're trying to use the charging dock on the wall? I was thinking of getting one of the 3D printed wall mounts on Etsy or Ebay, and rigging up some type of micro USB connector inside a wall box behind the mount.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Why do you say that you need to figure out how to mount it upside down? You're trying to use the charging dock on the wall? I was thinking of getting one of the 3D printed wall mounts on Etsy or Ebay, and rigging up some type of micro USB connector inside a wall box behind the mount.
                        The dock charger is designed to be placed on a shelf, and has a outcropping cup/lip at the bottom to hold the tablet. The tablet extends about 1/2 inch above the back of the charger.

I am sure there is a way to fabricate something to hold the tablet onto a upside down charger, but as far as my woodworking or fabrication skills go, well lets just say I am a decent software engineer.

I got the dock charger because it is easy to remove the tablet and put back (so I can use it for other stuff), without futzing with cables. Plus it was on sale (open box item at my local Best Buy).

Comment

HS3 touch is upside down when I put it in the dock so the charging spins match the pins on the dock.

Comment

I have the HD8 (7th gen, purchased early 2018) with the Show Dock and it works correctly. It worked so well, I decided to get another with another dock for my office. It is the 8th generation (late 2018) edition of the HD8, and it has the problem of landscape mode being upside down when in the dock that others are seeing. If I enable both landscape and portrait, it rotates properly, but the scaling is all wrong. I had some scaling problems early on the with the 7th gen HD8, but I was able to get around them with messing with the design resolution (it doesn't match the actual resolution of the device).

This is quite annoying, as I'd like to be able to deploy the same project to both devices, and would like to enable portrait mode. I won't have time in the next week or so, but I am planning on messing around with project resolutions to see if I can get it to work correctly (I don't remember exactly the steps I took to resolve the scaling problems I had with the gen 7 device).

Comment

I solved the problem by getting a mini-easel from a craft store (Hobby Lobby). I can just place the tablet and the charging dock upside down, so that the screen is now upside right. Its fairly easy to remove the tablet from the dock while on the easel.

Comment

Working...
                              X