Windows or Android Tablet for HS Touch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows or Android Tablet for HS Touch?

I would like to add one or more wall mounted touchscreens to my Homeseer system. I have read through several threads, but can't seem to find one discussing the merits of Windows tablets vs. Android. I thought I previously saw mention of an RCA Windows 10 tablet as a wall-mounted touch screen but now I can't find the post.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Cambi...ype=10&veh=aff

I have also seen mention of Fire 7, 8 and 10 tablets as well as Yogas and Samsung.

I would obviously like something with a stable OS that could be mounted in landscape orientation. A motion sensitive on/off function would be nice, but I am OK with it being on 24/7, or touch to activate. I plan on mounting it with a recessed box and USB outlet, likely using a 3D printed mount from Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5505073...AaAkbjEALw_wcB

I would like to get the forums thoughts on whether I would be better off with a Windows tablet or one of the Androids. Cost is not a significant issue. I am OK with spending $50-$150 for a tablet.

TIA.
    Free 2-day shipping. Buy RCA Cambio 10.1" 2-in-1 Tablet 32GB Intel Atom Z3735F Quad-Core Processor Windows 10 at Walmart.com

Using Wintel OS hardware here lets me remote manage the tabletop touchscreens very easily using Jon00's remote control application.

I also have Microsoft speech fonts and speaker installed on my Wintel touchscreens. Each one can have a different voice font.

I do this inside and outside of HSTouch. I also utilize VNC to manage the desktop on the touchscreens.

IE: All 15 touchscreens here LCD screens shut off at 9 PM unless you touch them. I also dim them remotely. During the day they are at full brightness and later dim them to around 40 percent.

These tabletops are old Intel based motherboard dual atom computers.

Tested the PipoX7 with same chipset as RCA above and everything worked fine here connected to a larger multitouch touch screen monitor.

Only issue here was that the NIC card was a USB based NIC and I could sleep the touchscreen but not wake it up via WOL.

I do not think that the RCA Wintel device has a wired network interface on it.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.7.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.12.x
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Using Wintel OS hardware here lets me remote manage the tabletop touchscreens very easily using Jon00's remote control application.

I also have Microsoft speech fonts and speaker installed on my Wintel touchscreens. Each one can have a different voice font.

I do this inside and outside of HSTouch. I also utilize VNC to manage the desktop on the touchscreens.

IE: All 15 touchscreens here LCD screens shut off at 9 PM unless you touch them. I also dim them remotely. During the day they are at full brightness and later dim them to around 40 percent.

These tabletops are old Intel based motherboard dual atom computers.

Tested the PipoX7 with same chipset as RCA above and everything worked fine here connected to a larger multitouch touch screen monitor.

Only issue here was that the NIC card was a USB based NIC and I could sleep the touchscreen but not wake it up via WOL.

I do not think that the RCA Wintel device has a wired network interface on it.
      Thanks for the post Pete. A few questions:

*Don't pretty much all tablets have wifi built in? Why would I need a NIC card? Is wifi not a good option for a wall mounted HS3 tablet?

*What is VNC?

*Which Windows tablet would you recommend for less than $200?

Thanks,

Comment

I would highly suggest Android as these tablets are inexpensive and easy to come by.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          I would highly suggest Android as these tablets are inexpensive and easy to come by.
          Thanks Rupp. Any tablet in particular that you would recommend? Would the Amazon Fire be a good choice? I like the idea of being able to dim (or turn off) the screen at various times of day of when not in use. Can that be accomplished with an Android?

Comment

*Don't pretty much all tablets have wifi built in? Why would I need a NIC card? Is wifi not a good option for a wall mounted HS3 tablet?

Well the made for wall mounting tablet ideally would be a single POE connection for power and network.

Wireless works and you will need to find a wall bracket or clam shell that will charge your tablet.

Personally all of my Homeseer touchscreens are GB / POE wired. There are a few now that utilize the combo wifi bluetooth connectivity.

VNC (virtual network computing) is an opensource remote screen access program that works with any desktop OS.

*Which Windows tablet would you recommend for less than $200?

There are a bunch on Amazon, Ebay and your local big box stores.

I recommend Windows because they are easy to remote control and Homeseer touch works great on these along with Homeseer speaker which uses Microsoft SAPI and not the built in Homeseer touch TTS which is just a wave file of the speech from your HS3 server.

Have a search on Ebay where you can find a wall mountable Windows 7 embedded used touchscreen made for wall mounting with both wireless and wired network connections.

Not knocking Android here as you can purchase any Android based touchscreen tablet now a days for less than $50.

Personal preference is using Windows for HSTouch (always been this way). I have historically installed HSTouch on Android and it works. Just didn't want my wall mounted touchscreens to look like cellular phones...that is me though.

- Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
            HS4 Pro - V4.1.7.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.12.x
            HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              Have a search on Ebay where you can find a wall mountable Windows 7 embedded used touchscreen made for wall mounting with both wireless and wired network connections.
              So Windows 7 is good enough to run HS Touch? Or should I be looking at a Windows 8/10 model?

Comment

I am using 15 tabletop Atom computers running XPe / Homeseer Touch / Speaker / Microsoft SAPI / VNC / Jon00's remote control agent just fine here.

Tested a 15" multitouch monitor with a PipoX7 computer.

I liked that I could run HSTouch, SqueezePlayer, Kodi (streaming Live TV), Kinect, CCTV control GUI, Skype all at one time.

In the early days of Homeseer; Homeseer sold an Windows CE based in wall touchscreen.

Officially Microsoft is promoting Windows 8 embedded. Today's Homeseer SEL is running on Windows 8 embedded.

So Windows 7 is good enough to run HS Touch?

yes

Or should I be looking at a Windows 8/10 model?

Well it depends on your budget and what you want to do with Homeseer touch.

Homeseer Touchscreen designer lets you design just about anything.

Homeseer Touch is very light.
                Last edited by Pete; September 27, 2018, 12:21 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
                X