Recommendation on touchscreen that I can shut backlight on and off remotely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation on touchscreen that I can shut backlight on and off remotely

Hi, I am using Kindles mounted around the house - working well. I am using Tasker to control them remotely. However in the Master Bedroom I can dim down to 0 at sleep time but this leaves the backlight on - flooding the room in light all night.

I would like to send a command to the touchscreen to turn off the backlight at sleep time and then back on at dawn. My Kindles are not rooted - I can shut them off, but when I wake them up in the morning they show the swipe up screen.

So I am on the hunt for a touchscreen in this one location where I can turn it off at sleep and back on at dawn and have it go straight into my HA screen.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

have you tried: Display/System Lock ? This has worked for me on several different tablets.
    tenholde

Comment

If I am not mistaken (haven't tested this in a while) on the Kindle - when you wake it up after locking it - it presents the swipe up screen and an advertisement. You have to swipe up to return to the HA menu screen. I'm looking for a more elegant way to shutdown the screen and then return to my HA Menu when I tell it to.

Comment

I wake my screens up using the Secure Settings plugin:. Screen bright manual - on
        tenholde

Comment

Hi, what is the secure setting plugin? I can't find a plugin under this name? Thanks.

Comment

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lugin&hl=en_US
            tenholde

Comment

Two other things to check. On my Android Tablet, I was able to set the tablet security to "none", which stops the swipe screen requirement. This is under the Security Settings. Do not know if the Kindles will have that option though.

The AutoInput plugin for Tasker has a pseudo swipe gesture capability. It does require a later version of Android though, so again may not work on the Kindle.

Comment

A Windows tablet or touchscreen would work with little efforts using Jon00's remote control and monitoring utility.

Today turn off the displays every night, send events to enable screensavers, disable touch, et al. Works great.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
                HS4 Pro - V4.1.7.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.12.x
                HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                  I wake my screens up using the Secure Settings plugin:. Screen bright manual - on
                  can you explain this more? Are you running HSTouch or (e.g.) Imperihome? how do you set this up?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post

can you explain this more? Are you running HSTouch or (e.g.) Imperihome? how do you set this up?
                    running on wall mounted android tablet in kitchen. Use Tasker for control of tablet. Use autoremote to send requests from HomeSeer server to Tasker running on the android tablet.

Any time the motion sensor in the kitchen sees movement, HS sends request to tablet, which resets a counter. On the tablet, when the counter counts down (not motion in xx minutes), tasker shuts down the tablet display. Also, for each motion request, the tablet checks and if the tablet display is shut down, it activates it.

That's how I control the blanking of the display when no one is in the kitchen.

I also have HS send requests to Tasker on the tablet to:

Display and announce the number and name of the current phone call

Announce when either of the door bells are pressed

start running slide show on tablet when requested via Alexa/HS

display home alarm screen when someone is entering the house, allowing the alarm to be shut off with a code (no key pad near deck door to kitchen, this serves as one).

Most of my control and info functions on the android tablet are done via displays of my own web pages that connect to HS for home control. I use Tasker to control which web page is displayed when. Many of the screens are imbedded web pages from third party software, ie mscSprinklers for irrigation control. You could easily use HsTouch instead.

tenholde

Comment

So tasker and this plugin on the tablet, and the tasker plugin with HS3. Then autoremote also on the TABLET?

Can you send a pic of the screen off event when you have a chance?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                        I did look at this plugin - it requires root access. Something I can't do on the Kindle as there has not been a root available for a long time - Amazon is getting too good at locking them down.

Which brings me back to my original question - what are the recommendations for a tablet to be wall mounted - presumably android - that will allow me to shut the backlight off and bring it back on again by remote - presumably using Tasker?

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post

I did look at this plugin - it requires root access. Something I can't do on the Kindle as there has not been a root available for a long time - Amazon is getting too good at locking them down.
                          Actually, Secure Settings does not require root access. Granted, some features of Secure Settings are not available without root, but turning on the screen is not one of them.

As an alternative to using Secure Settings, I just have tasker bring up a Tasker Pop up Menu for 1 second. The pop up menu will turn the screen on.

Comment

Ditto. Root not needed for Secure Settings to turn on screen. I have used several Samsung tabs and now using a Lenovo tab.
                            tenholde

Comment

You are right, rooting is not necessary for all commands. However, when I put the Kindle to sleep, and then wake it up, I am presented with the Kindle lock screen. This screen is mandatory and I have to swipe up to open it. However, this thread caused me to take another look and I found a recent thread on the xda forum that showed a way to disable the lock screen without a root. I tried it and it worked. I will see how it goes but it looks like the Kindle approach might work long-term.

Comment

Working...
                              X