Recommendation on touchscreen that I can shut backlight on and off remotely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
    You are right, rooting is not necessary for all commands. However, when I put the Kindle to sleep, and then wake it up, I am presented with the Kindle lock screen. This screen is mandatory and I have to swipe up to open it. However, this thread caused me to take another look and I found a recent thread on the xda forum that showed a way to disable the lock screen without a root. I tried it and it worked. I will see how it goes but it looks like the Kindle approach might work long-term.
    Can you share that link please?

Comment

https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...nable-t3739257

If you read down into the comments you will see a number of suggestions. The disable ads worked on my Kindle. The disable lock screen did not. However further down in the comments someone suggests setting provisioning to off and that worked like a charm on my Kindle. Apparently this could potentially lead to other issues. But I only keep them mounted in the wall running Fully Kiosk Browser so I am hoping that this won't be an issue.

Comment

https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...nable-t3739257

If you read down into the comments you will see a number of suggestions. The disable ads worked on my Kindle. The disable lock screen did not. However further down in the comments someone suggests setting provisioning to off and that worked like a charm on my Kindle. Apparently this could potentially lead to other issues. But I only keep them mounted in the wall running Fully Kiosk Browser so I am hoping that this won't be an issue.
        It's been a couple months since your last post here and I wanted to check in if everything is working well for you on this?
        The Kindle tablets are typically the most cost-effective option for an android and I'm really hoping to be able to pick a few up 8" or 10" to use wall-mount or on a stand depending on the room. The ability to put the screen into a low-light or fully-off mode and then wake on an event are major factors.

Is this working now for you or have you run into anything else?

What do you use as a wall mount and how do you power it? I'll have POE available via a Ubiquity switch and it appears a simple POE to USB adapter will do the trick but it would be great to have a mount that can hide this connection if at all possible. The "secure" mounts I typically find when I search can cost $150+ and be pretty industrial looking. Not exactly what you want in your kitchen or bedroom.

Comment

It's actually working really well. Shuts off at night and back on first thing in the morning. I am using an older model so I can't say if this will work with newer models. I have iPort and Vidabox in my house. iPort are stupid expensive - I got it on eBay and was still expensive. However they are flush mount and extremely professional. Vidabox are, by design, surface mount. They do this as many professional installations want to upgrade their touchscreens from time to time and this makes it much easier. I have a white mount, and it is pretty thin. Looks quite professional.

Comment

It's actually working really well. Shuts off at night and back on first thing in the morning. I am using an older model so I can't say if this will work with newer models. I have iPort and Vidabox in my house. iPort are stupid expensive - I got it on eBay and was still expensive. However they are flush mount and extremely professional. Vidabox are, by design, surface mount. They do this as many professional installations want to upgrade their touchscreens from time to time and this makes it much easier. I have a white mount, and it is pretty thin. Looks quite professional.
            Can you share some pictures of how they mount and look? TIA!

Comment

Unconfigured PHP Module

Collapse

Working...
            X