X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by simonmason View Post
    It's actually working really well. Shuts off at night and back on first thing in the morning. I am using an older model so I can't say if this will work with newer models. I have iPort and Vidabox in my house. iPort are stupid expensive - I got it on eBay and was still expensive. However they are flush mount and extremely professional. Vidabox are, by design, surface mount. They do this as many professional installations want to upgrade their touchscreens from time to time and this makes it much easier. I have a white mount, and it is pretty thin. Looks quite professional.
    Can you share some pictures of how they mount and look? TIA!

Leave a comment:

• simonmason
    replied
    It's actually working really well. Shuts off at night and back on first thing in the morning. I am using an older model so I can't say if this will work with newer models. I have iPort and Vidabox in my house. iPort are stupid expensive - I got it on eBay and was still expensive. However they are flush mount and extremely professional. Vidabox are, by design, surface mount. They do this as many professional installations want to upgrade their touchscreens from time to time and this makes it much easier. I have a white mount, and it is pretty thin. Looks quite professional.

Leave a comment:

• Beowulf
    replied
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...nable-t3739257

If you read down into the comments you will see a number of suggestions. The disable ads worked on my Kindle. The disable lock screen did not. However further down in the comments someone suggests setting provisioning to off and that worked like a charm on my Kindle. Apparently this could potentially lead to other issues. But I only keep them mounted in the wall running Fully Kiosk Browser so I am hoping that this won't be an issue.
    It's been a couple months since your last post here and I wanted to check in if everything is working well for you on this?
    The Kindle tablets are typically the most cost-effective option for an android and I'm really hoping to be able to pick a few up 8" or 10" to use wall-mount or on a stand depending on the room. The ability to put the screen into a low-light or fully-off mode and then wake on an event are major factors.

Is this working now for you or have you run into anything else?

What do you use as a wall mount and how do you power it? I'll have POE available via a Ubiquity switch and it appears a simple POE to USB adapter will do the trick but it would be great to have a mount that can hide this connection if at all possible. The "secure" mounts I typically find when I search can cost $150+ and be pretty industrial looking. Not exactly what you want in your kitchen or bedroom.

Leave a comment:

• simonmason
    replied
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...nable-t3739257

If you read down into the comments you will see a number of suggestions. The disable ads worked on my Kindle. The disable lock screen did not. However further down in the comments someone suggests setting provisioning to off and that worked like a charm on my Kindle. Apparently this could potentially lead to other issues. But I only keep them mounted in the wall running Fully Kiosk Browser so I am hoping that this won't be an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Tomgru
    replied
    You are right, rooting is not necessary for all commands. However, when I put the Kindle to sleep, and then wake it up, I am presented with the Kindle lock screen. This screen is mandatory and I have to swipe up to open it. However, this thread caused me to take another look and I found a recent thread on the xda forum that showed a way to disable the lock screen without a root. I tried it and it worked. I will see how it goes but it looks like the Kindle approach might work long-term.
    Can you share that link please?

Leave a comment:

• simonmason
    replied
    You are right, rooting is not necessary for all commands. However, when I put the Kindle to sleep, and then wake it up, I am presented with the Kindle lock screen. This screen is mandatory and I have to swipe up to open it. However, this thread caused me to take another look and I found a recent thread on the xda forum that showed a way to disable the lock screen without a root. I tried it and it worked. I will see how it goes but it looks like the Kindle approach might work long-term.

Leave a comment:

• tenholde
    replied
    Ditto. Root not needed for Secure Settings to turn on screen. I have used several Samsung tabs and now using a Lenovo tab.

Leave a comment:

• aa6vh
    replied

I did look at this plugin - it requires root access. Something I can't do on the Kindle as there has not been a root available for a long time - Amazon is getting too good at locking them down.
    Actually, Secure Settings does not require root access. Granted, some features of Secure Settings are not available without root, but turning on the screen is not one of them.

As an alternative to using Secure Settings, I just have tasker bring up a Tasker Pop up Menu for 1 second. The pop up menu will turn the screen on.

Leave a comment:

• simonmason
    replied
    Originally posted by tenholde View Post
    I wake my screens up using the Secure Settings plugin:. Screen bright manual - on
    I did look at this plugin - it requires root access. Something I can't do on the Kindle as there has not been a root available for a long time - Amazon is getting too good at locking them down.

Which brings me back to my original question - what are the recommendations for a tablet to be wall mounted - presumably android - that will allow me to shut the backlight off and bring it back on again by remote - presumably using Tasker?

Leave a comment:

• Tomgru
    replied
    So tasker and this plugin on the tablet, and the tasker plugin with HS3. Then autoremote also on the TABLET?

Can you send a pic of the screen off event when you have a chance?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• tenholde
    replied
    Originally posted by Tomgru View Post

can you explain this more? Are you running HSTouch or (e.g.) Imperihome? how do you set this up?
    running on wall mounted android tablet in kitchen. Use Tasker for control of tablet. Use autoremote to send requests from HomeSeer server to Tasker running on the android tablet.

Any time the motion sensor in the kitchen sees movement, HS sends request to tablet, which resets a counter. On the tablet, when the counter counts down (not motion in xx minutes), tasker shuts down the tablet display. Also, for each motion request, the tablet checks and if the tablet display is shut down, it activates it.

That's how I control the blanking of the display when no one is in the kitchen.

I also have HS send requests to Tasker on the tablet to:

Display and announce the number and name of the current phone call

Announce when either of the door bells are pressed

start running slide show on tablet when requested via Alexa/HS

display home alarm screen when someone is entering the house, allowing the alarm to be shut off with a code (no key pad near deck door to kitchen, this serves as one).

Most of my control and info functions on the android tablet are done via displays of my own web pages that connect to HS for home control. I use Tasker to control which web page is displayed when. Many of the screens are imbedded web pages from third party software, ie mscSprinklers for irrigation control. You could easily use HsTouch instead.

Leave a comment:

• Tomgru
    replied
    Originally posted by tenholde View Post
    I wake my screens up using the Secure Settings plugin:. Screen bright manual - on
    can you explain this more? Are you running HSTouch or (e.g.) Imperihome? how do you set this up?

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    A Windows tablet or touchscreen would work with little efforts using Jon00's remote control and monitoring utility.

Today turn off the displays every night, send events to enable screensavers, disable touch, et al. Works great.

Leave a comment:

• aa6vh
    replied
    Two other things to check. On my Android Tablet, I was able to set the tablet security to "none", which stops the swipe screen requirement. This is under the Security Settings. Do not know if the Kindles will have that option though.

The AutoInput plugin for Tasker has a pseudo swipe gesture capability. It does require a later version of Android though, so again may not work on the Kindle.

Leave a comment:

• tenholde
    replied
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lugin&hl=en_US

Leave a comment:

Working...
X