Advice on Intel NUC like PC for older ELO Touchscreens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Intel NUC like PC for older ELO Touchscreens

I have two 15" ELO touchscreens mounted in my house - working well. Both are serial RS-232 control, 15 pin VGA. Each one has a dedicated PC connected to it running Windows 7 (I think that might be the latest version of Windows that I have drivers for). I am looking to replace the PCs with something more compact (ideally, not necessary) but definitely lower power. I was looking at Intel NUCs, I don't see any with serial ports but I imagine I could try USB to serial. Is there anything else out there?

A few years ago tested the Pipo Atom based 2Gb RAM computer with a multi USB port touch wide screen monitor. I also tested older ELO with serial (usb to serial) 4:3 monitors and it worked well. Newest Atom based micro TV Box computers work even better today utilizing < 10 watts of power. You can utilize a POE powered computer. You will still need to power the ELO touchscreen separately. That and a powered HDMI to VGA cable is a PITA to use. The micro Atom computer I mention has both HDMI and VGA ports on it. Embedded Windows 7 works well and is tiny these days.

Just built a NUC mother board based PFSense firewall micro. This device uses a NUC sized motherboard, has an mSATA slot, laptop SODIMM, VGA, HDMI and serial port. Today you can purchase these with Intel Atom and currently series of i3, i5, i7 CPUs. This one has two NICs built in. There are others with 4-6 NIC ports. To minimize the size RJ-45 ports are used for serial consoles.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

I use a NUC with USB to 8 serial ports adaptor to run my HomeSeer system. Very Pleased.
      tenholde

Comment

Most Windows 7 drivers work fine in Windows 10 if they were written correctly. Enforcement of signed drivers can be an issue though, but I've stuck with WHQL hardware since Windows 95b and most drivers were signed during XP transition.

Comment

What do you want the PCs to be capable of? What about a PC "stick"?
          https://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Intel...33B7SJV4NBFJTV
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Running chrome in full screen and installing windows 7 drivers. A stick might work. Would have to test the drivers.

Comment

Working...
            X