Nanovision Mimo UM-740

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nanovision Mimo UM-740

If you haven't read about this device yet, you should.

It's a USB Touchscreen monitor that doesn't need an extra video card.

http://www.terracode.com/MIMO_UM740_...review_P1.html

I just got mine yesterday, and figured this slick little device needs it's own thread here.

The 740 model comes with touchscreen, and a usb camera.

My first impressions of this unit, are GREAT. The resolution is good, and it's nearly perfect for running HSTouch off of another PC, or virtual machine.

I've set mine up in a VMWare Workstation virtual machine, I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering a second one of these soon, at which time I'll just clone the virtual machine, or mirror both screens on one virtual machine. It's a neat way to do it, but you could run this off of any windows machine, and just have hstouch running to display on a second screen.

I think a few other users are using them, and have them attached to the PC in different ways. I'd like to get a list together of how people have them setup and connected. There are some USB baluns, usb -> cat5 conveters, USB extension cables etc. and USB over network. I've personally tried it over 16 foot extension cable, and I've tried it over the belkin usb anywhere network device. With some mixed results. If these little details of best way to connect them / run them can be worked out to a science I'm picturing 3-5 of them around my house.

Right now I've only tested this running it in a virtual machine using VMWare Workstation, and passing through the 3 usb devices that it shows up as to the guest OS of Windows XP Pro.

The screen ran fine even at USB 1.1 over the 16 foot extension cable. The video, and hstouch animations were much slower, but tolerable. At USB 2.0 speeds (removing the extension cable), the video was MUCH smoother, and the hstouch animations looked really good.

Over the belkin usb->network device, it attached at usb 2.0, but the touchscreen functionality was not working. I didn't try too hard to get it to work, because after a few minutes It would drop connection, and start to act a little flaky. I've tried it using the silex drivers as Chak suggest in another forum. If this method would work stable, It would be a really easy way to add a touchscreen anywhere you can get cat5, with a bonus of being able to add a keyboard or USB soundcard if needed.

The only cons I've found so far are:
    1) It has a connector for a mic, however the mic is not USB and part of the webcam feature, so you'll need to hook it up to a soundcard if you want to use that.
    2) It has a connector for audio in, which I think is just a passthough to a headphone jack on the side... aka it doesn't have speakers, so it's kinda pointless to hook that up... again it would need to be hooked up to a soundcard anyways.
    3) It's stand is not quite a solid as I'd like, but it's very close.
    4) The usb cable in the back of the unit has a large ferrite near the end of it, preventing that cable from being routed through the stand, and nicely tucked away.
    5) Seems like a very faint flicker the first time I fired this up, but after a little while I didn't notice it anymore.

The pros are:
    1) Great size for nightstand/theater/kitchen/by-the-door etc.
    2) Resolution is very good at 800x480 (I was using a 640x480 screen for quite a while and it felt cramped, not to mention I was running it over a 25' vga cable which introduced some ghosting)
    3) built in microphone could be used to work with homeseer if you want.
    4) when the PC tells the screen to shut off, the backlight really does turn off, and the touchscreen is still active, so a tap will turn it back on (I've got a touchscreen LCD that won't shut off the backlight)
    5) The price is pretty good for this form factor around $200
    6) does not require external power supply

The main wishlist for this device, is ways of adding multiples of them to my house without adding multiple PC's everywhere, since this solution does not include a CE or a windows machine. VM's are a good start, but the limitation seems to be the USB connection. Too bad it's not Ethernet or wireless
    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

I'm 99% committed to buying one of these as well, so I appreciate the thread.

Just a point to clarify, my understanding is that these monitors don't require external power but are powered by the USB connection. I read in some reviews that depending on the power supplied by USB ports that you may need 2 USB connections to power the video AND touchscreen.

I'm also looking for the best way to extend the USB, preferrably by CAT5/CAT6 connections.

Thanks for the quick review.

Comment

Yes, the usb cable it comes with has two usb plugs on it, you can plug it into one or two usb ports. On most machines it'll get enough power from one usb port.

I've read a few people having problems with hard drives over some of the USB extension cables, not having enough power. Most people solve that problem by adding a powered usb hub at the end of the cable...

The Mimo also has a DC plug on the back, though it does not come with a power adapter.

In all the tests I've tried, it worked fine with just one of the two usb plugs, pluged in.
      Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Do you know what the USB current requirements are for the device? Their web page doesn't specify.

It looks like USB 2.0 extenders can cost more than the touchscreen. So far the cheapest thing I've found is a 65' active cable that costs about $75. I was hoping for a "one cable" solution similar to POE instead of having to deal with AC power. The cable in question can only deliver 300mA power, hence the question above.

Comment

Mimo 740

Thanks for the info on the 740.
          I am looking at the device as part of a kitchen remodel and want to mount on / in wall. I am unable to identify what mounting options are available once removed from the stand. Could you please let me know what options you think would be available. Was the touchscreen unusable over a 16' usb extension cable. I am not looking to stream video... more using with sonos or albumplayer. Looks like the site has them for $219 mimomonitors and amazon at $200 via satechi.... Not sure if its same product or not.. Mimomonitors shows as 740 and Amazon as UM-740. Any input appreciated as the mimo site has limited info...

Thanks

Comment

I'm using a usb extension cable from ebay that converts usb to cat5, and back again.

I've tested it with a 30' cable so far, and it works just fine for hstouch.

I'll have to take some pictures of the mounting, I think you might be able to use some sort of speaker bracket, or a modified LCD mount.
            Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Mimo 740

That sounds great.
              Are you using one long cable... small USB to CAT5 to USB ... ?
              Or do you have usb to cat5 adapters mixed in...
              Did you buy right from MIMO or did you get it someplace else..

Thanks for the quick response.

Comment

I got both of mine from mimomonitors.com

The cable I'm using is a set of adapters and a standard cat5 cable in between
                I got the adapters from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

This weekend I'll be trying it with a much longer cat5 cable hopefully for it's permanent installation.
                Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Mimo 740

Thanks again for the info.

I just ordered a 740 via Amazon : Satechi for $200.
                  Looking forward to testing it out. I am looking forward to the results of your test and will most likely order the same adapters. Looks like a good solution.
                  As noted earlier, I plan to mount on my wall in kitchen and am trying to figure best mounting solution. If you get a chance could you please post depth of Mimo 740. I am trying to see if it is under an inch thick or more than that. Can't seem to find the spec anywhere.

Thanks Again

Comment

It's less than an inch thick.

I've taken some pictures of the back, you can see it's size next to a DVD case.

The bracket they give you doesn't really give you and good way to flush mount it, but if you're a bit creative I think it could be mounted very close. I'd probably use a hole the size of an outlet and run the wires in the wall or cabinet behind it, then use some removable tape. That way it would look as flush mount as possible.

http://www.bettymills.com/store/imag...MMM108_2_1.JPG
                    Attached Files
                    Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Mimo 740

Great Info. Size looks good.

Thank You for your help.

Comment

Configure MIMO 740

Hello,

I am configuring my Mimo 740 and having difficulty calibrating.
                        I have connected to an XPSP3 and Vista64 using updated drivers.
                        The Mimo shows up as monitor 2 but the calibrate for touchscreen only displays one x in top left. I am able to check and it converts to a green check which is good. Once calibration completes the touch screen is way off.
                        Not sure if I have incorrect setting etc...

I have click mode at interactive touch and tried click and drag.
                        Also resolution is set to 800 x 480.

Any ideas welcome....

Thanks

Comment

I think you were making the same mistake I was making when calibrating which was calibrating for the whole desktop instead of for just the MIMO740. Before calibrating, go into " Adjust Settings". On the left click Hardware, then on the right click on " Handling whole desktop". You will get to another screen where you will be able to select which monitor is the MIMO. Mine was monitor 2.

While on the subject of the MIMO, I just got mine Friday. So far I' ve had no success using CAT5 USB extender which is what I was hoping to do so that they could be installed everywhere in the house.

My extenders are usb 1.1 extenders (SuperBooster from cablesOntheGo). The screen connects fine, XP complains about plugging a USB2.0 device in a USB 1.1 port. The screen displays fine at first but after a minute or so, the screen goes blank and I have to disconnect and reconnect. So far, I do not think these monitors could be used for Home Automation unless they can be near a PC.

Zimmer62, I would be interested in knowing how far you went with your cat5 extender. Mine was not even working with a CAT5 of about 10 feet. I know the extender works since I used them before for a USB camera which was 3 floors down.

Comment

MIMO Calibrate

Thank You for the info. I am getting close on the calibration but cant seem to nail it. I deinstalled the MIMO and reinstalled from scratch. If I configure the MIMO as the main monitor I am able to select the Handling whole desktop and then select the mimo monitor which is 3 in my case. (2 is disabled)
                            I can actually calibrate now and it appears to work fine. However, when I make the MIMO an extend to the right or left is when I lose the calibration....
                            If I set it as a mirror only part of the screen shows up.... not sure what I am doing wrong... but not a great experience so far. Any other suggestions very welcome.

I purchased the cat5 extenders from the same place as zimm and they appear to work... although only using with 5 or 6 foot eth cable.

Thanks

Comment

I made more test with the CAt 5 cable. It does connect at longer length (one floor up going through walls etc) but it only works for a while. After a while, the screen shutdown. It has to be unplugged and then plugged back in. The monitor also needs .5 amps so those active usb extenders that only delivers 300 mAmps of power probably won't do.

Comment

Working...
                              X