Anyone have an Archos 9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have an Archos 9?

I've been looking into getting one to use as my main Home Theater/Automation controller for the living room. I'd like something about that size and from what I've seen online it looks nice. Unfortunately, it's not aorund in any stores that I know of to check it out.

Has anyone here tried using one w/ HS or anything?

No, but I'm thinking about getting one, too. I need the wifi connectivity.

I plan on building a frame and wall-mounting it as a touchscreen. It is the only "slate" out there I think will work for my application. Win7, thin, no vents, and everything is on the front--mic, webcam, speakers, power switch.

It may be too underpowered to run HS, but it would work well as a HSTouch client, I think.

I'm still a couple of months away from re-doing my home automation setup so I'll keep an eye on all the new slates being announced right now.

So far, the Archos 9 is still my first choice.
    Last edited by auger66; January 22, 2010, 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling; added info

Comment

These do look very interesting. I wonder what the battery life will be on these devices.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

NO...I'm waiting for Apple next week.
        When there tablet is not usable for HSTouch I will buy the Archos 9.

Comment

Originally posted by Chak View Post
          NO...I'm waiting for Apple next week.
          When there tablet is not usable for HSTouch I will buy the Archos 9.
          Huh? What do you mean when there table is not usable? Isn't most of Apples stuff is unusable due to their closed OS
          -Rupp
          sigpic

Comment

When the tablet is running on Iphone 4.0 OS, porting HST Iphone client will be easy. When running OSX 10.6X no change for short term.

Comment

Took the plunge and ordered one yesterday; it will be here Friday. I'll let you know how it goes. Will be in a teacher seminar most of the day Saturday.

Comment

Please keep us updated as these look like a better hardware set than the new iPad. Where did you buy and at what price point?
                -Rupp
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  Please keep us updated as these look like a better hardware set than the new iPad. Where did you buy and at what price point?
                  J&R Music at list price $549 with free ground shipping or $20.50 for UPS 2nd day. One place had it for $520, but I went with a known Internet seller and reduced shipping.

Comment

Nice, keep us updated on how you like it.
                    -Rupp
                    sigpic

Comment

ARCHOS 9 Works great

I copied files over with USB drive and then deployed client with no problem. The left side of the unit gets rather hot; it's either CPU or hard drive. The case has no visible ventilation openings and low powered CPU doesn't need a fan. Battery life is unknown at this time. I plan on using it in Master Bedroom and leaving it plugged in. The manual recommends leaving battery in place even if you don't plan to use it for a while. It is a touch screen device and has a virtual keyboard; it doesn't have hand writing recognition that I am aware of.

The stylus is rather flimsy, but if you hold it correctly that should not be a problem. You don't need to use stylus.

Has 1.3 mp web cam, microphone, stereo speakers, WiFi and Bluetooth, headphone jack, keyboard button to display/hide virtual keyboard.

The resolution can be changed to 1024 x 768, recommended is 1024 x 600.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by vegascat; February 5, 2010, 08:25 PM. Reason: correct spelling, add comments, comment on screen resolution

Comment

Originally posted by vegascat View Post
                        The stylus is rather flimsy, but if you hold it correctly that should not be a problem.
                        Do you have to use the stylus? How is the response when switching screens?
                        -Rupp
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm not a fan of that power cord sticking out the side... I wish there was something of a bottom style docking station charger.
                          Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Don't need to use stylus. Very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
                              I'm not a fan of that power cord sticking out the side...
                              Me, either, as I'm planning on framing it for a surface wall-mount. I'm guessing I could find some sort of after-market, right-angle plug that has a significantly lower profile.

Otherwise, it sounds perfect for my application. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Working...
                              X