X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auger66
    replied
    For those still interested . . .

The Archos 9 with an upgraded 1.2GHz Atom Z515 CPU with Hyper-Threading and Intel Burst Performance Technology is now available for purchase.

I'm still getting one after I get my ISY and Homeseer all set up.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I left mine unplugged and with minimal use (about 10 minutes) the battery ran out after about 48 hours. The unit defaults to powering down, blue LED blinks when it powers down. I have to log back in, since I set up a password. I'll look into changing settings this weekend. I'm guessing battery life in the 2-3 hour range under constant use.

My Sony laptop was supposed to have a battery life of 2.5 hours out of the box, but 45 minutes seems to be the norm, but I changed it to balanced so it may last longer now. Maybe same is true of ARCHOS 9.

Leave a comment:

• zimmer62
    replied
    Originally posted by AutomatingIT View Post
    This does make wall mounting a challenge. That's a shame. Thanks for the pics and information though. These should be a much better platform for HSTouch than the new iPad though. I wonder where the iPads plugin is located? I need to check.
    I'm sure we can figure out something, even if it means making a dummy battery for the back. (ipad can't do that) though I suspect there will be a few companies who make wall mount ipad docking stations.

As for the Archos, I think I could work around that power cord if I really had to. I'm picturing putting it up near a door frame on the right side where I could chisel out a little bit of my frame to hide the cord perfectly. I'm sure many people would have a problem doing this. A few other ideas for hiding cords come to mind, at least when wall mounting.

My biggest problem hiding that cord would be if I'm trying to use it on a desk, like a picture fame, then I'd want something more of a docking station where I could just pick it up and use it.

Leave a comment:

• AutomatingIT
    replied
    This does make wall mounting a challenge. That's a shame. Thanks for the pics and information though. These should be a much better platform for HSTouch than the new iPad though. I wonder where the iPads plugin is located? I need to check.

Leave a comment:

• auger66
    replied
    Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
    I'm not a fan of that power cord sticking out the side...
    Me, either, as I'm planning on framing it for a surface wall-mount. I'm guessing I could find some sort of after-market, right-angle plug that has a significantly lower profile.

Otherwise, it sounds perfect for my application. Thanks for the update.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Don't need to use stylus. Very fast.

Leave a comment:

• zimmer62
    replied
    I'm not a fan of that power cord sticking out the side... I wish there was something of a bottom style docking station charger.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Originally posted by vegascat View Post
    The stylus is rather flimsy, but if you hold it correctly that should not be a problem.
    Do you have to use the stylus? How is the response when switching screens?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    ARCHOS 9 Works great

I copied files over with USB drive and then deployed client with no problem. The left side of the unit gets rather hot; it's either CPU or hard drive. The case has no visible ventilation openings and low powered CPU doesn't need a fan. Battery life is unknown at this time. I plan on using it in Master Bedroom and leaving it plugged in. The manual recommends leaving battery in place even if you don't plan to use it for a while. It is a touch screen device and has a virtual keyboard; it doesn't have hand writing recognition that I am aware of.

The stylus is rather flimsy, but if you hold it correctly that should not be a problem. You don't need to use stylus.

Has 1.3 mp web cam, microphone, stereo speakers, WiFi and Bluetooth, headphone jack, keyboard button to display/hide virtual keyboard.

The resolution can be changed to 1024 x 768, recommended is 1024 x 600.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vegascat; February 5, 2010, 08:25 PM. Reason: correct spelling, add comments, comment on screen resolution

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Nice, keep us updated on how you like it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Rupp View Post
    Please keep us updated as these look like a better hardware set than the new iPad. Where did you buy and at what price point?
    J&R Music at list price $549 with free ground shipping or $20.50 for UPS 2nd day. One place had it for $520, but I went with a known Internet seller and reduced shipping.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Please keep us updated as these look like a better hardware set than the new iPad. Where did you buy and at what price point?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Took the plunge and ordered one yesterday; it will be here Friday. I'll let you know how it goes. Will be in a teacher seminar most of the day Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• Chak
    replied
    When the tablet is running on Iphone 4.0 OS, porting HST Iphone client will be easy. When running OSX 10.6X no change for short term.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Originally posted by Chak View Post
    NO...I'm waiting for Apple next week.
    When there tablet is not usable for HSTouch I will buy the Archos 9.
    Huh? What do you mean when there table is not usable? Isn't most of Apples stuff is unusable due to their closed OS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X