Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete
    replied
    Playing today with a prototype and I have no idea what is different about it yet; it just isn't the same; if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by Pete; July 16, 2014, 10:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Yup; from what I can tell there is a different ROM bios in the Telio Openpeak devices. This causes some weird issues in the MMC boot EFI partition. I have not seen any problems with the plain jane Openpeak, Ayaya, Cisco or Verizon boot roms. The more I play with the device the more I learn about its nuances. IE: by default it loads the sound drivers for the DECT phones; but not the DECT stuff.

Leave a comment:

• donstephens
    replied
    You really need a zipper on that thing. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    11th of July, 2014

Some more Joggler playing.

Really though Openframe 2 playing.

Soldering a PATA port and Micro SD slot to the motherboard in the next few days.

Looking to "socket" the flash rom chip.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    You can give it a try.

Running 8.1 on a USB stick only lasted a couple of boots and it appeared to mess some with the boot stuff to where it would error out and not boot.

Here I started from scratch with a zif connected SSD drive installing W8.1 from the installation disk.

Its been running now for a few weeks just fine.

Magnus (Moskus) is trying similiar on his physically unmodded but updated with Seabios Joggler.

What may work better though would be a USB SSD stick. I purchased a few of these to test with relating to OS booting (all of the OS's tested) and they seemed to work way better for me than the regular USB stick. They were being sold by Kingspec. I fit them inside of my Joggler but had to remove the device from the case. I did initially test them with the side USB port. They are much larger than a regular USB stick.

On another note a new Joggler / Openframe EFI test.

One of the Joggler users noticed that the PATA boot driver was included in the boot EFI bios on the Openpeak 7e.

I have taken this bios saved from the Openpeak 7e and installed it on an Openpeak 1.0 device and its working.

Last week I did remove the "test" touch screen interface plugin for Windows 8.1 with some bells and whistles and reinstalled the stock included touchscreen generic drivers. They work fine with HSTouch.
    Last edited by Pete; May 19, 2014, 06:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• manxam
    replied
    Pete, can one get 8.1 running without an internal HD? I saw a couple references to you running 8 in the seabios thread on Joggler wiki but nothing about HOW you got it running.

I'd like to replace XP on my last remaining Joggler..

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Today playing with a new Realtek Network driver for Windows 8.1 and XP.

It appears to be working. I had originally modified the XP builds removing the wireless NIC and connecting the USB port to an Asix USB to NIC.

I do have some 3 XP Jogglers configured for just wireless. Tested the new driver on these and it works.

Tested the new driver on the Windows 8.1 build and it works there too.

This now allows for a Gb connection with no hardware network adds using the internally built in Gb connection.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    I did and am very impressed!

Can you think of another tabletop tablet that runs Linux, Android or Wintel as easy as just a reboot to the OS?

....well now too the Samsung Q1 that I am playing with....(XP, Linux, Mac and Android)....personally like to have the choices of OS....ideally though a HSTouch centric OS would be best for me....
    Last edited by Pete; April 11, 2014, 12:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dafunktyfunk
    replied
    DId you see someone made a KitKat version!!

I bet you this will be a fast little bugger!

http://www.familie-kirchhofer.de/android/

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    The more I use Windows 8.1; the faster it gets. Installed speaker dot exe and one Neospeech voice font. Still using up only 7 Gb of 16 Gb total SSD.

I have set up remote control and it works. New feature now I can do a standby and WOL wake up. Thing is with the wake up it appears to reboot. That said though its all via a USB connected Asix NIC.

You can also go back to the old start menu and have it boot up auto logging in at the desktop; just a few changes in the control panel let you do that.

Amazing that it works so well considering the Joggler has only 512Mb of memory and running off a tiny little SSD drive.

Installed HSTouch and running screens that I am running in XP. It does well. Touch is a bit slower with HSTouch running. This is the same that I see running HSTouch in Linux/Android.
    Last edited by Pete; April 9, 2014, 12:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Experimenting today with fat and skinny XP-SP3 and W8.1 on the Joggler.

Using a 16Gb SSD drive. Both installed easily. XP has issues with the integrated Intel video chipset. W8.1 doesn't.

Poulsbo is the codename of the first SCH and plays a key role in Intel's second-generation Menlow UMPC and MID platform chipset for Atom Silverthorne microprocessors.

The graphics core is called GMA 500 and unlike most graphics cores used by Intel was developed by Imagination Technologies. Intel licensed the PowerVR SGX 535 as a graphics core and the PowerVR VXD370 for H.264/MPEG-4 AVC playback. The video core is able to process 720p as well as 1080i resolutions.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Controller_Hub

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    More Joggler Playing....

Testing out the new 802.11AC stuff on another test Joggler. Never really liked the wireless card in it. This one will have a tiny 802.11AC device plus Bluetooth in a similiar manner that the Openframe 7.0 had a combo WLAN and Bluetooth card in it.

Historically have played with wireless HSTouch clients. This will be another one of those little experiments using HSTouch wirelessly with 802.11AC connectivity.

Attached is a picture of the beginning of the modification pieces to an Openframe 7e (speakers in the front device)

17th of March, 2014

Testing streaming live TV video on two machines (3 "Jogglers")

1 - 720HD and 480SD on Ubuntu 12.10 - comparing Gb live video streaming versus Wireless 802.11 G with speeds from 20-54Mps with OS / EFI boot running off a USB SSD drive.

2 - 720HD and 480SD on almost XPE - running on '86 Seabios/Coreboot from a PATA SSD drive.

3 - same as #1 but using a Broadcom Crystal HD mini pcie card in same machine.

4 - Even though this device is some 4 years old; there is no machine / tabletop tablet I know of today that lets you run Android, Windows or Linux just switching the source boot device (USB or SSD). It was built way ahead of its time (Intel based motherboard using Atom CPU)

19th of March, 2014

I knew this was going to happen with the (Almonds)..erg....an offspring...picture(s) to follow....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete; March 19, 2014, 06:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Still playing with Windows 8.1 on the Joggler. Tabletwise it works a bit better than XP Tablet. That is me though.

I am customizing this original build; making it much simpler such that it just runs TTS and HSTouch; nothing else right now.

Lots of junk you do not really need; mostly just eye candy stuff.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    It appears faster than W7 previously tested on the Joggler.

Relating to XP comparisons; it appears to be almost same speed relating to response times etc.

Testing today on the O2 Joggler, Openframe 1.0 and Openframe 7.

Touch seems a bit nicer than in the XP and almost E builds.

It does work better with an SSD drive (USB or ZIF). When I tested the regular USB stick; it started a couple of times fine; then the stick got corrupted. Not sure if it was just an old USB stick? I have switched over to USB SSD for now and its doing fine.

Tested out the TTS on the 32 bit VM of W81 and it worked fine.

Last night installed the TTS SDK; just starting a bit with this.

Same build was tested on the Ultra Q1 and it works fine with that device too. Might get one of these to play with.....

Last edited by Pete; February 21, 2014, 10:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TomTom
    replied
    Great. The internal NIC working on these is a real plus in W8.
    Have you noticed them to be sluggish/slow under Windows 8( lite build)?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X