Mic wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mic wiring

You guys have helped me out tremendously in regards to audio wiring. I think i'm all ready to go there. Now my thoughts turn to microphone wiring. I currently don't have mics but will want to tackle that project sometime in the future. So what kind of wire needs to be run while I still have access to the bare walls? What type? To what locations? How is it terminated?

I'll be thrilled when all of this wiring is done.

Ryan

Ryan,

I've posted some info about mic wire in this thread:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ghlight=belden

Paul

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
    Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Thanks Paul. I had read that post actually. Good info. So I should run that wire from my wire closet to each spot that I'll want a mic. Do you typicall install these mics up top, bottom, light switch height? Also, do they get placed in a junction box? If so I'll go ahead and throw a junction box in and run the wire to each box, then just put a blank plate over the box until I get my mics.

Ryan

Comment

And what if I try going with a cheap solution such as the PA3 mic? Does this change where I place them or how they are installed?

Thanks,
        Ryan

Comment

Ryan,

Yes, you'll want home-runs from the mic locations back to your wiring closet where the mixer will be installed.

If you're using the Crown PZM11 mics then you will want to install them in an electrical box, or low-voltage mudring.

I've always installed mics in locations higher than standard placement for light switches, with most thought given to where I'll be speaking from and other considerations covered in the thread linked below which contains some info I learned by trial & error after installing VR in several houses:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ferrerid=35438

I don't have any experience with the PA3 mics, but the wiring should work well for them too and I expect the same rules apply for placement. The only difference is you may not want to install an electrical box or mudring because the PA3's are much smaller. On the other hand, drilling a hole to accomodate the PA3 in a standard blank decora wall plate may be a good way to mount them?

Maybe some others that are using PA3's can detail how they've mounted them?

Cheers,
          Paul

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
          Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Make sure you get the right cable...it must have a "drain" wire. At least for the PZM system. I've installed 2 of these now.

Comment

Do the PA3s run on phantom power?

Or would I have to also run a power wire to them? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X