Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sound cards are you all using with your AP800 VR configs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What sound cards are you all using with your AP800 VR configs?

Time to upgrade my sound card. Just curious what cards you all are using in your setups for good VR.

Toby
    HS 3.0.0.199 Pro/Insteon 3.0.5.20/3 Venstar Insteon Therms / Insteon Thermostat 3.0.2.2 / DirecTV 3.0.0.14 / OpenSprinkler 2.0.5.21 / ITunes DAAP 3.0.0.23/ UltraM1G3 3.0.5437.37424/ UltraWeatherbug3 /HSTouch Svr 3.0.0.68/Zwave 3.0.1.25/Ultramon3/Global Cache 5.0.0.17/Various BLXXX Plugins.

SoundBlaster Live card... I couldn't ever get the Delta 410 to work with VR after upgrading to HS2. Haven't tried it again after going to HS2.1.

Cheers,
    Paul

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
    Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

HS Builds 2.0 to 2.1.37, used sound blaster live for VR and M-Audio1010lt for TTS.

Like Paul could not get the M-Audio card to work right for VR. with the above builds.

HS Build 2.1.38 to 2.1.57 Back to using just the M-Audio 1010lt for VR and TTS.

-Zap
      -Mike-

-Home automation powered by the wind and sun-
      Zotac 9300g-Q9400s-4gb ram-Intel 120 SSD-MS XP
      HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts
      W2c,Ztroller,z-wave+18,Q100D's,Silex 3000gb
      Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 on top of Xenserve
      Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Zotac D525 atom

Comment

I'm using an Audigy 2 for VR and TTS. Works fantastic

Comment

Same as Zap, using M-Audio 1010lt for VR and TTS. Works great for me - yet to get it to acknowledge a single word spoken by my wife .... even after training a profile for her :-)

Comment

Originally posted by greyt
            Works great for me - yet to get it to acknowledge a single word spoken by my wife .... even after training a profile for her :-)
            That's a plus, right?

Comment

Good to hear that the M-Audio cards are working with the newer releases... I'll have to give it a try!

Thanks,
              Paul

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
              Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Originally posted by dantelope
                That's a plus, right?
                It is a pleasure just watching the frustration when anything I say works first time, and it just totally ignores her :-)

The best bit is when she puts on a deeper voice trying to kid the system that it is me talking

Comment

I find it interesting that people are very concerned about PC sound card quality, yet I don't see anyone talking about the "correct" way to connect a sound card (unbalanced) to an AP800 (balanced) or vice versa. I use the built-in PC sound (Intel HD sound, for my PC) and use a device called a Cleanbox to convert balanced to unbalanced and vise versa. I've been getting excellent results in both directions. The Cleanbox is about $75 or $40 on e-Bay. I've heard transformers work, but at $15 each from Radio Shack, I think its better to use the Cleanbox.

Comment

Originally posted by anogee
                    I find it interesting that people are very concerned about PC sound card quality, yet I don't see anyone talking about the "correct" way to connect a sound card (unbalanced) to an AP800 (balanced) or vice versa. I use the built-in PC sound (Intel HD sound, for my PC) and use a device called a Cleanbox to convert balanced to unbalanced and vise versa. I've been getting excellent results in both directions. The Cleanbox is about $75 or $40 on e-Bay. I've heard transformers work, but at $15 each from Radio Shack, I think its better to use the Cleanbox.
                    I believe the M-Audio cards have both balanced and unbalanced inputs, that may be why so many are using them. Thx for the nfo though! That may be a good route for me to go.
                    HS 3.0.0.199 Pro/Insteon 3.0.5.20/3 Venstar Insteon Therms / Insteon Thermostat 3.0.2.2 / DirecTV 3.0.0.14 / OpenSprinkler 2.0.5.21 / ITunes DAAP 3.0.0.23/ UltraM1G3 3.0.5437.37424/ UltraWeatherbug3 /HSTouch Svr 3.0.0.68/Zwave 3.0.1.25/Ultramon3/Global Cache 5.0.0.17/Various BLXXX Plugins.

Comment

Originally posted by kuntakintay
                      I believe the M-Audio cards have both balanced and unbalanced inputs, that may be why so many are using them. Thx for the nfo though! That may be a good route for me to go.
                      Yes the M-Audio 1010lt has both balanced and unbalanced inputs

And you know what they say, Junk in and get junk out.

It the sound Quality of the sound input and output that makes a difference.

-Zap
                      -Mike-

HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts

Comment

Hmmmm....

I'm using a very simple custom cable which probably doesn't do justice the way you're talking.

But, my system works great. Are you saying it would work much better if I used a Cleanbox to connect my soundcard and AP800?

What exactly am I getting without it -- more noise? less signal?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by anogee
                          In looking At the Ap800 Doc's

Mic input 1-8 balanced and unbalanced inputs
                          Inputs A-D Line Level inputs only ( unbalanced )
                          Outputs A-D 1-8 Lines Level outputs ( unbalanced )

So I have to ask why would you need the cleanbox between the AP800 and the sound card ?
                          most sound cards donot have balanced inputs. If your feeding the sound back to the AP800 why not use the A-D inputs?

Or am I missing something here.

-Zap
                          -Mike-

Comment

No input can be balanced and unbalanced at the same time. They are completely different beasts. If the AP800 had all unbalanced connectors, you would find rows of RCA jacks or 1/4" phono jacks, but that's not what my AP800 has at least. All my inputs or outputs are labeled +, -, Gnd. and that is balanced.

You might want to check this site out for an explaination:
                            http://www.dplay.com/dv/balance/balance.html

Not only are balanced and unbalanced connectors different in how they work, they are also at different reference levels, meaning if you just connect one to the other, levels will be wrong, and distortion will occur sooner as the higher one hits the top, and the lower one gets lost in the noise floor.

Input and output levels are:
                            Balanced: +4 dBm (1.23 volts)
                            Unbalanced: -10 dBV (0.316 volt)

The difference in levels is just under 12dB, which is a pretty large amount, so a balanced output has to be attenuated 12 dB to become unbalanced, and an unbalanced output must be amplified 12 dB to be balanced. So this explains why the Cleanbox, matching transformers and other devices exist.

So can you just connect everything together and expect it to work? Maybe, but it won't be optimal. The solution is a sound box like the M-Audio one incorporating balanced inputs and outputs, or a converter of some type, like the Cleanbox.

I found the AP800 spec here:
                            http://www.clearone.com/docs/datashe....0_AP800DS.pdf
                            On this version, it claims all inputs and outputs are balanced.
                            Last edited by anogee; May 10, 2006, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Anogee,

Thanks for the enlightenment on the differences between balanced and unbalanced Input and output levels. I appreciate it.

Need to make some changes to the input to my M-Audio card

-Zap
                              -Mike-

Comment

Working...
                              X