Basic hookup for a AP800 needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic hookup for a AP800 needed

I have recently purchased an AP800 and I having problems trying to understand how to hook it up to the PC. I been reading the post but , I just dont unstand the following:

1: What type of cable should I use coming out of my audio card to the AP?
    I read something about dividing the cable to one input (is this cutting the
    cable)?

2: Is the AP constantly connected to the PC and which connection is used on
    on the AP?

3:How do you connect your music thru the AP if you music is with in your PC
    and how will it damper it when HS speaks back?

4: Is the AP ware available is compatible with the AP800( I belive there a
    XAP version)?

I hope somebody could lend me a hand
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Originally posted by Rotech View Post

1: What type of cable should I use coming out of my audio card to the AP?
    cable)?
    I used an old headphone cable.

HS P.C. soundcard > 1/8" old Headphones with cut wires > common Headphone to common on AP400 , Left + Right headphone > + input on AP400.

I am only going a couple feet, but i have no hum or distortion.

2: Is the AP constantly connected to the PC and which connection is used on
    on the AP?
    Yes, my ap400's are connected to each other through the RJ45 network cables, then one of my AP400's is connected to my PC via a 9 pin serial port on the back of the AP400. I have H.S. communicating with the AP400's whenever i want to change mixer settings.

3:How do you connect your music thru the AP if you music is with in your PC
    PC > Input to AP400
    I have a second soundcard wired to the AP400's, but for music i don't join the left and right channels on the old headphone wire. I use two inputs.

I can then via events and scripts, mute the input on the Music Soundcard whenever H.S. speaks using any of the "Speach Proxy" plugins/scripts.. (i haven't actually done this yet.. it's one of my weekend projects.. not enough time.
    As it is now... the speach is just mixed with the music.. but we don't play the music that loud that we miss much.

4: Is the AP ware available is compatible with the AP800( I belive there a
    XAP version)?
    It is my understanding that there are two APWare packages.. one for the AP400/AP800.. and one for the XAP units.
    I believe both are available free through gentner/clearone website.

I hope this helps.. i'm by no means an expert but i do like my AP400's and use them for mixing without problems.

I have not yet wired a mic input to the AP400 and then to H.S... I think that will be one of my next items.

Andrw
    Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

O.K. Here is my take:

> 1: What type of cable should I use coming out of my audio card to the AP?
      cable)?

You have to understand the difference between different types of audio. PCs output and input unbalanced audio. The AP800 uses professional balanced audio. You can ignore that fact, and connect the AP800 to a PC and you may not have a problem, but you run the risk of grounding problems. If you want to do it correctly, you will either need a transformer match like what is sold at Radio Shack, or a device like this Clean Box:
      http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CleanBox/

I use the Clean Box with good results, but your mileage may vary. This is a bit expensive because you also have to buy XLR connectors from Radio Shack. The transformer device:
      http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
      also requires some connector work.

So, it all comes down to if you want to do it cheap or correctly. Try cheap first, but if it doesn't work, correct is an option.

> 2: Is the AP constantly connected to the PC and which connection is used on
      on the AP?

Depends what you are doing. Mine is. The line out of the PC is connected to a line in of the AP800 (Input A-D) and the line in of the PC is connected to an output of the AP800.

> 3:How do you connect your music thru the AP if you music is with in your PC

You need two PC audio cards if you want music and voice to take separate paths. Otherwise, music and voice come out the same output on the PC.

> 4: Is the AP ware available is compatible with the AP800( I belive there a
      XAP version)?

The AP800 and the XAP800 are different models. You need the software for the AP800. Note that this software was written many years ago, and works fine under Windows before XP. On XP its a bit marginal, especially on connecting. Haven't heard any reports on Vista. Since the AP800 was discontinued many years ago, don't count on a software update.

Comment

Ok lets see if I understand, from the audio card I have a 1/8 connector atached to my output, on the other end of the cable I should have the type of connector XRL.

this end of the connector (xrl) is then connected to clean box. But what type of connector comes out of clean box to the AP ( if any)??
        Hector
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

XLR connectors are used for what is called balanced audio which is what the AP800 uses. XLR connectors are quite large, and the AP800 has lots of them so they were forced to use a Phoenix connector instead.

So the Clean Box, (or an adapter transformer) has an XLR connector on one end, and typically an RCA connector on the other. The Clean Box has four converters, two in each direction.

So from the PC to AP800, you start with the typical 1/8" jack (or RCA on some PCs) and this goes to an RCA jack into the Clean Box. Out of the Clean Box is XLR (were balanced now) and those three wires go to a Phoenix connector into the AP800.

From the AP800 its the opposite. Phoenix to XLR, through the Clean Box, to RCA then into the PC via RCA or 1/8" plug.

Note that like most plugs, there is male and female XLR jacks. You'll need one of each to go in and out of the Clean Box.

Got all that? You will know lots about connectors when you done, but you get a good setup. The Clean Box has a gain control on it which is quite handy because the AP800 range is actually a bit limited.

Comment

Thanks anogee

I understand it very well now, thank for your patience , By the way hows your VR sistem working? is it worth wild ? I still have alot a things to do before the actually trial. what are you using for mics and where do you have them installed (wall, cielling, ect)

When soldering the cable to the connector XLR, is there a specific patern I should follow? is there a instruction that comes with the connector?
            Last edited by Rotech; September 22, 2007, 12:33 PM. Reason: addtional question
            Hector
            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Yeah, the best way to find the pin out of an XLR connector is to just Google something like "XLR pin out." There are basically three pins, "+," "-," and ground. They connect to the same three on the AP800.

Does it work? I really bought the AP800 for VR, but as it turns out, its more useful to me for output. i have 8 output zones in my house, and for everything that Homeseer speaks, I can control which room(s) and how loud. For example if wife turns out the bedroom light while she is on the bed at night (bed sensor) Homeseer will say "good night" in the bedroom, and then "move around to prevent the lights from going out" in the rest of the house. Also, when ever an outside door is opened, Homeseer anounces it only in speakers not near the door. And I could give you many other examples. When I get a package, the package guy is thanked but only on the front porch speaker, etc.

I have 4 mics, but VR in the real world is not all its cracked up to be. I never had much luck with it, and never have been able to prevent false tripping. So the mics feed back into the alarm, so the alarm company can listen in should an alarm go off. I might use it for VR again some day, when/if VR improves.

Comment

Working...
              X