Method for determining room you are in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Method for determining room you are in

Any one figure out a good way for homeseer to determine what room you are speaking from right after or during the attention phrase? I want to sense the AP800 gated mic outputs on activation of the attention phrase.

-Ron

Originally posted by basshook View Post
    Any one figure out a good way for homeseer to determine what room you are speaking from right after or during the attention phrase? I want to sense the AP800 gated mic outputs on activation of the attention phrase.

-Ron
    I don't know about the AP800, but the Ivie PW884 gated auto mixer has contact closure outputs that "follow" the active mic channel. This is intended in conventional conference setups to (eg) turn on a light at the active microphone to provide particiipants with a visual cue of who has the floor. This could be connected to any sort of digital input recognized by HomeSeer.

There's a write-up about these mixers at www.ECOntrol.org/audio.htm and also www.ECONtrol.org/porch_sale.htm

... Marc

Marc_F_Hult
    www.ECOntrol.org

Comment

The AP800 has logic outputs that go high when the mic is gated on; that's the easy part. I want to sample these outputs on when the attention phase is issued. I could issue a voice command that executes a script; however, all the other speakers in my house will get the conversation until that script runs and switches off the other rooms.

If I trigger a script solely on the mic gating outputs (without attention phase) then that script is going to be executing a lot due to noise pick-up from the mics. This will screw up my whole house audio.....

Comment

Speaking as an authority of someone who does not use voice recognition, nor has a clue about how it works, it should be simple, that is if you use motion sensors.

Track last motion sensor activation and tell it to listen there only. You could have a time limit as to how long it only listens there, in fact you could do wonderful things with this concept, because it would not be restricted to voice rec.

Perhaps The Doc, Blade or any other enterprising plugin/script writer would like to look at this. As a DM user I think it would be a brilliant addition, think of the uses, unlimited.
        sigpic
        A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

The AP800 has logic outputs that go high when the mic is gated on; that's the easy part. I want to sample these outputs on when the attention phase is issued. I could issue a voice command that executes a script; however, all the other speakers in my house will get the conversation until that script runs and switches off the other rooms.

If I trigger a script solely on the mic gating outputs (without attention phase) then that script is going to be executing a lot due to noise pick-up from the mics. This will screw up my whole house audio.....

I think I understand the question now:-)

So a separate VR 'pre-processor' between the auto-mixer out and Homeseer audio input could do this by ANDing the mixer TTL/contact info and receipt of the attention phrase and only activating/closing a set of corresponding slave TTL/contact outputs monitored by HS if an attention phrase was received in the previous 0.x seconds.

Question is how to do this with just HS, right?

... Marc

Comment

Gogs, I have 6 women in my house; the motion sensors are always going. Actually what I am try to do is avoid them from hearing my VR over the house audio by only activating the speakers for the room I am in.

Marc, you got it. anding the VR attention phrase and the gated mic indicator output would do it. The problem is that HS does not allow a trigger base on hearing the attention phrase.

-Ron
            Last edited by basshook; September 22, 2007, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Gogs, I have 6 women in my house
              Well, there is no answer to that. Ron does not sound a very Arabic name either. Ah well the pleasures of life.
              the motion sensors are always going
              With six females I would imagine they are
              Actually what I am try to do is avoid them from hearing my VR over the house audio by only activating the speakers for the room I am in.
              I understand completely; ever thought about tags? Sorry I was having a bit of fun.

From my early days of HS1 I experimented with voice control. I remember having to train the two voices in my home, one male and one female (Sounds feeble compared to your harem) and it should be possible to have a script or something that shuts off all the speakers except where your voice was recognised. In HS1 this would be easy, in HS2 I do not know.

What I do know is that it will give them something to think about: No not your six Ladies, the voice bit.
              sigpic
              A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Gogs
                Marc, you got it. anding the VR attention phrase and the gated mic indicator output would do it. The problem is that HS does not allow a trigger base on hearing the attention phrase.

-Ron
                Now I *really* understand it: "HS does not allow a trigger base on hearing the attention phrase.".

If this were election time, I'd vote for HS to add that functionality ;-)

The VR pre-processor concept would also work, albeit at time and expense.

There's a newish $40 VR Stamp™ module,
                http://www.sensoryinc.com/products/vr_stamp.html but that requires soldering and a development board ($130 total) and time investment.
                www.mikroe.com/en/tools/easyvrstamp/

A freeware software preprocessor might be more practical. I presume it would have to run on a different PC if MS-based like HS. It could use the auto-mixer's output in parallel with the Homeseer audio input to listen for the attention phrase and ENABLE (eg) an octal non-inverting tri-state buffer IC like a 74LS244 if detected. The contact/TTL signals from the mixer would be input to the buffer and the outputs would go to the HS contact/TTL detection hardware. (In my case, I'd stick the IC inside an Ivie 884 and power it from its power supply.)

So the buffer ENABLE signal would stay low unless the attention phrase was heard, and the mixer TTL/contacts at the HS hardware inputs would also stay low until and unless the attention phrase was detected -- which is, as I understand it, the need.

Real kludges both, but doable.

Marc
                Last edited by hult; September 22, 2007, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Basically its pretty easy. The AP800 has two ways to tell you the last mic that gated. Output pins or via a command. If you use the HW pins, you can use a input digital to digital converter to "read" which pin is high, and which mic triggered. But you can also do it with a simple command to the rs-232 port as well.

So how do you know when to check? There is a free plug in, that HomeSeer offers (IsSpeaking) in the updater which you can use. This plug-in sets up a voice proxy so you can run code after HomeSeer speaks but before it is spoken. So, the trick is to look for the response to the attention phrase, and compare all text against that string. For example, the "may I help you?" phrase. At that moment you should be able to inquire the AP800 on which mic was gated. You then send that info back to the speaker proxy and AP800 so you set the correct speakers, and the "may I help you" will come out only near the mic, if that is your desire. That is how you do it. You just need to make sure the gating of the AP800 is set long enough so its still gated from the time you say the attention phrase until Homeseer responds with the "may I help you?" (Its only a second or two.)

The part I still have questions about, is how you can control Homeseer with that info? For example if you say "turn on the lamp" and you know that it was said in the master bedroom, how do you get Homeseer to "turn on the master bedroom lamp?"
                  Last edited by anogee; September 22, 2007, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X