Crown PZM-11 - what parts are needed to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crown PZM-11 - what parts are needed to buy

I am picking up a Crown PZM-11 to go into a genter ap800. What else do I need to buy along with the microphone itself? And, how is the install done exactly? I looked at the pdf of the model, and it is a lot more comoplex than I expected...do I need to give it a power source? And, what sort of cable do I need to get to run it to my ap800?

If you don't have the mics yet, I have two (2) Crown PZM-11LL WR (the Weather resistant version) which are rated for indoor or outdoor use) that I have never installed and would like to sell.

Comment

I have not bought any mic's yet. What are you offering? You can take it to PM if you like, don't matter to me

Comment

Nice write-up http://www.james.lipsit.com/whole.htm.

I have a Gentner AP800 and 1 Crown PZM-11 and mic wire that I never got around to hooking up. Let me know if you would be interested.

Comment

Thanks for the link, I forgot about his site. i notice he says I need a 2 conductor plus ground wiring for the mics; however, he provides a broken link: http://www.colemancable.com/catalog/Data78.htm

Any ideas on where to get his cable?

And, I'd be interested in the mic / cable, but not the ap800 at this time.

On a quick side note, I do not think I have the correct cable going from my ap800 to my line in on my PC...I just have a basic cable that on one end has a microphone jack, on the other end is just two exposed wires, cost around 4 bucks from Radio Shack, do I need a better cable? I am thinking so because of how the link provided talks about special wiring.

Comment

I bought mine at radio shack. I believe it is shielded and is basically 3 wires running inside of a gray plastic housing. I don't think it needs to be anything special. Something that works for speakers/mic should be fine. Not sure what you saw on Jim's page but he is also using Shure equipment instead of Gentner. The Shure mixer has special microphone plug-in recepticles. Maybe that is what he is referring to.

Comment

So when they say shielded, they just mean wires inside the plastic tubing? aka, regular speaker wire type stuff?

And, what about my wire from the ap800 to my cpu, is that ok or should I go get a specific wire or something?

Comment

I don't recall where I saw/figured out the exact wiring. I think maybe it was two wires and then the jacket shield gets connected to ground. Maybe take a read of this thread that seems to discuss the topic...http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=772936. I would hate to give you some bad advice. I'm pretty sure I have my mic still wired from when I tried it out a while back. I can let you now what the wire and hookup looks like this evening. Otherwise the thread I pointed to is a resource or try googling PZM-11 wiring. I'm sure there's something out there, hopefully you can find a picture to help visualize what you need.

Comment

Try looking at this link http://www.iautomate.com/pages/Whole...crophones.html. They mention you need 22 gauge two conductor jacketed cable with an overall shield and drain wire. Here are some pictures of the type of cable.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have two (2) Crown PZM-11LL WR (the Weather resistant version)
                    I'll sell both, delivered, for $110.00 total

Comment

awesome, thanks for the info again

Was there a power source or something like that that is needed? I thought I read somethign wierd on teh manual about a power source or something?

and, do you want to sell your mic? I have found some used ones online for pretty cheap, but always willing to consider other options

Comment

Originally posted by JB-dallas View Post
                        I have two (2) Crown PZM-11LL WR (the Weather resistant version)
                        I'll sell both, delivered, for $110.00 total
                        What is the difference between the weather resistant one and the one I am inquiring about? They would be for in house usage...would they work the same / have the same quality, but a different look is all?
                        Last edited by dzirkelb; March 3, 2010, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
                          Try looking at this link http://www.iautomate.com/pages/Whole...crophones.html. They mention you need 22 gauge two conductor jacketed cable with an overall shield and drain wire. Here are some pictures of the type of cable.
                          Should I get this type of wire to go from my ap800 to my line in on my PC? or, is that even possible with the headphone jack?

Comment

The mics either need to be locally powered or if the mixer supports it, you can use Phantom Power. The instructions for the mic have the wiring needed and I believe the AP800 provides phantom power but you can check their specs/documentation to see.

Comment

I am pretty confident the genter supports phantom power, so that is a definate bonus...only one set of wires going to it, makes it much easier.

K, now to buy stuff...is there a difference in indoor quality between the crown indoor and outdoor mics or is it pretty much a cosmetic difference and the weather proofing?

How much for the one regular one for sale? Very good chance I would buy all three.

Comment

Working...
                              X