Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanity Check: Does Anyone Really Want This (Amazon Key)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My initial reaction was; no thanks. After reviewing their protocol I can see how it seems well thought out and fairly reasonable.

I can see pitfalls in the system such as pets getting out, doors not being properly secured, etc. I think this system would be more secure in instances where the home has a double entry/airlock type vestibule which is more common in northern climates.

Will I sign up? probably not...
    HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
    Number of Devices: 1005
    Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post
      My initial reaction was; no thanks. After reviewing their protocol I can see how it seems well thought out and fairly reasonable.

I can see pitfalls in the system such as pets getting out, doors not being properly secured, etc. I think this system would be more secure in instances where the home has a double entry/airlock type vestibule which is more common in northern climates.

Will I sign up? probably not...
      Agreed. This is cool, but I can't trust the drivers to ensure they've properly secured my door. I've trained my family to know what to check when the weather changes the alignment of the deadbolt, but I can't expect Amazon to initiate the proper training through their partner channels. I also trust my drivers, but there are too many factors for consideration here.

It also won't work with my currently automated door lock. :-\

I like the idea above about the secured box on the outside of my house!!

Comment

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Ok, so my first reaction was HECK no. And even after considering the protocols, etc., that's still my answer. In my new home in TX we're a community on the water, and none of us even have front doors. The back of the house faces the street, and to get to the main door you have to walk through the property, up the stairs, and at that point you're staring into the living room. Double heck no do I want strangers there! Just drop it over my fence thank you. Hopefully you'll be kind enough to actually open the gate and place it gently inside the fence.
          HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
          Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
          Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
          Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Working...
          X