Could these computers get any smaller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could these computers get any smaller?

Has anyone seen this little computer. I wonder if it could be used for HS?
    https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Compute...70_&dpSrc=srch

I have tried HS on one and it works, but they are a little processor challenged. A busy system might swamp one.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      I have tried HS on one and it works, but they are a little processor challenged. A busy system might swamp one.
      I wondered if it might be a little under powered. The one that has 4g ram and 64g storage is way up there in price.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
        I wondered if it might be a little under powered. The one that has 4g ram and 64g storage is way up there in price.
        I got one of these for my birthday.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0788DJQR9...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It's running my primary HS3 system right now. It's a decent little box and the ability to upgrade is a nice addon for mini pc's.

Comment

First thing I always look at on these little units is the mass storage technology. Most are just consumer camera/phone limited write cycle flash. A little better is emmc such as has been available with odroid for many years. What I have been very happy with is the odroid HC1 that has a SATA connector that nicely fits a SSD in a stackagle shell that is the heat sink. About $50. An SD flash is used to boot. I run my programs from SSD which can handle frequent write cycles. The board is about 2" x 2.5", but the heat sink is 3" x 6" to allow it to wrap around the SSD.
          Attached Files

Comment

Tested using the Pipo X7 which is using an Intel Atom Micro PC board with 2Gb of Ram (larger than the above Intel) a couple of years ago. I split the OS to run Windows 10 (came with a license) and Ubuntu 16.04 server at the time. Runs fine for me but it wasn't small enough and really needed a heat sink on the CPU. This device came with a base eMMC 32Gb HD and I added a 64Gb micro SD card to it. I took the PipoX7 apart. Did not do this with the Intel stick stick (too small to tinker with). Can't add memory or any expansion to this device other than using USB ports or micro SD cards.

I tested Homeseer 3 Pro on this computer running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit. Video was good on it and tested Kodi, Homeseer Touch and Homeseer speaker running concurrent with HS3 Pro. All ran just fine for me.

[ATTACH]69498[/ATTACH]

Then tested the dual AMD cube computer (stacked boards) XiS5A. Been running this computer 24/7 now for a couple of years. It is my backup Homeseer 3 lite computer. It comes with soldered on 2Gb of RAM which is not expandable and an SSD slot which is expandable. I have been happy with this little computer although the company has gone out of business.

Then given the ARM Pine64 2Gb computer to test. It included a battery backed up RTC. It is small but twice the size of an RPi. It sold for $35 at the time with 2Gb of RAM.

It is running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit fine today off a microSD card. Optionally I think I can update this to an eMMC card.

Two new machines from the Pine64 company have been released. One is the same size as the RPi except that it comes with up to 4 Gb of RAM and now has a boot eMMC card (whatever size). I am still waiting on the RTC with battery on this device such that I have not purchased it. It has been promised now for a year. This is the smallest RPi sized computer with the most memory and options that I have seen to date. (under $50).

Their new computer is called the Pine64 Pro and it includes a PCiE expansion slot which I am impressed with but it is a larger footprint. It would make an ideal PFSense box (lite and small) with multiple Network ports on it. The PFSense folks only sell two ARM based firewalls today and will not release an ARM based OS for us tinkerers.
            Last edited by Pete; June 23, 2018, 07:53 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks everyone. There is a lot to look at. My laptop is quite old and it could go at any time. The mini's are interesting as long as you have a power backup of some kind. That is what was good about the laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
                I got one of these for my birthday.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0788DJQR9...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It's running my primary HS3 system right now. It's a decent little box and the ability to upgrade is a nice addon for mini pc's.
                John, I coudn't get the link to open. Which one is it that you have?

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                  John, I coudn't get the link to open. Which one is it that you have?
                  Try this link:
                  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...hps_bw_c_x_3_w

It's the Minix NEO N42C-4

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
                    Try this link:
                    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...hps_bw_c_x_3_w

It's the Minix NEO N42C-4
                    Thanks, that worked. I will take a look at that one too.

Comment

That is what was good about the laptop.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                        That is what was good about the laptop.
                        Dang Pete, I just got back from Best Buy with a new one. But thanks anyway I appreciate it.

Comment

I forget if it was @pete that I was showing the Lenovo Tiny series. While all these others seem nice...
                          I think he bought the M72 series and I bought off of ebay an m92p...
                          https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...470T/2886vs824

you can see an i5 is double the intel 4200 cpu... and the m92 is using 18watts of power per kill-a-watt ....

I'm happy with it... 16gb ram (2x8gb), 128 gb ssd, win10, i5 3470T

$170 here... check ebay..
                          http://shop.triathloncc.com/3238BF3-...xoCLJEQAvD_BwE
                          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                            I forget if it was @pete that I was showing the Lenovo Tiny series. While all these others seem nice...
                            I think he bought the M72 series and I bought off of ebay an m92p...
                            https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...470T/2886vs824

you can see an i5 is double the intel 4200 cpu... and the m92 is using 18watts of power per kill-a-watt ....

I'm happy with it... 16gb ram (2x8gb), 128 gb ssd, win10, i5 3470T

$170 here... check ebay..
                            http://shop.triathloncc.com/3238BF3-...xoCLJEQAvD_BwE
                            Thanks Telefragger, I will take a look at that one.

Comment

Working...
                            X