Zigbee Remote??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zigbee Remote??

Anyone seen one of these before. It looks new.
    https://www.amazon.com/Brightness-Co...switch+battery

I'm new to Zigbee and don't have any devices setup yet, but I think this may be a question for Wim in the JowiHue section (or maybe other plug-in author sections)?

Looks like a cool device though, and I hope that the buttons can trigger events rather than direct control of devices (e.g. lights, etc.).

Comment

Looks to be a new product and unable to find any links to its setup documentation. dCONZ and zigbee2mqtt does not appear to support it currently which is expected for a new product. The product description references MESHgenie for alternate setup, but their product page does not include it. Only saw MESHgenie setup bridge on Ebay. I dropped RGBgenie a note about these two product.

I don't have any need for such a remote, but curious so I ordered one to play. If I have success then each button will be able to trigger HS events via zigbee2mqtt interface and mcsMQTT.

Comment

I have been working with this remote and now have the 4 on/off/dim switches reporting. The All On and All Off top buttons also report but don't yet know how to distinguish them from one of the other four. The rocker-like buttons produce on/off message on short click or a dim message on a long click. The battery level is also reported. This means that the info can be sent directly to HS for event triggers if desired.

I did sent an email to the company and received no response. The technical info was printed and inserted in the package, but no electronic forms of information are available. I have not been doing that much with it other than working toward getting it to be a recognized via zigbee2mqtt. Battery level started at 100% now is reporting in the 80's so I suspect that battery life will be short for a zigbee device. Nothing about the battery life in the included literature.

Comment

Any updates on this? This remote seems like it would be simpler to use than the Tradfri unit.

I am currently trying to weed out the X-10 RF remotes and thought a Zigbee remote might be an answer.

Comment

I completed my integration of it with zigbee2mqtt that is used with mcsMQTT for integration with HS. All functionality is supported as well as ability to setup direct control of zigbee scenes. The only thing that I could not distinguish was use of the All on/off buttons vs use of 1 on/off. I suspect it has to do with my lack of setting up multiple zigbee devices in scenes. My intent was just a general purpose remote for HS so this was not something I needed to resolve. If you not already have it I can provide a USB interface to zigbee for $10. If you are in BC then I think the postage adds another $5 or so.

Comment

Hi Michael, thanks for the reply. I had planned to buy a Conbee II used in conjunction with the JowiHue plug-in but I think I might take you up on the offer.
              May as well jump in and have a look at MQTT. If MQTT turns out to be too much of a learning curve for me, can it be used with JowiHue and Deconz?

Comment

I doubt if this remote is supported by jowiHue, but should check on that forum. There is also a link for supported devices by DeCONZ that you should be able to Google. I know in March when I surveyed the three zigbee providers that the other two did no support it.

MQTT is just a network protocol like ICMP for ping or DHCP for address assignment. The services that support these protocols run somewhere on the LAN. In my case MQTT service runs on the same RPi clone where my HS runs (and where zigbee2mqtt is running)

The zigbee remote was a technical challenge for me to integrate. I have no particular use for it. I can send it and a zigbee dongle for you to play if you are interested.

Comment

One of the co-owner's of RGBGenie is working with the Hubitat crew to get the remote and wall controllers supported. Just an FYI...

Comment

Michael, I think for now I will have my hands full with some of the Xiaomi sensors from Ali. I'd like to take you up on the fob offer. Please PM me with the details.

Comment

My PM is full, even though my inbox and sent items are nearly empty. Private communication via email at mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net.

Comment

Working...
                      X