X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sickpuppy
    replied
    I will answer for him: No.
    This is based on my ever so highly scientific analysis into the question of "How many people use Homeseer" that was posed three years ago.
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...234#post962234

At a 30k HS user base and a 1.5 mil population of Phoenix, I bet there are at least 100 folks in the greater Phoenix area that are running HS (with lots of home security plug-ins, of course, in that part of the country ).

Leave a comment:

• BlairG
    replied
    Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
    No, I'm not trolling for a date. I asked this question on this forum (or maybe the SmartHome Forum) about 15 years ago, and got no response. I'm just curious, has that changed at all, or is HA still almost exclusively the domain of the estrogen-challenged? I see talk of WAF, but never HAF. Women have made incursions into just about every other traditionally male activity, why not this one, and do we somehow like it that way?
    @JIim Are there any other HS systems in Payson AZ?

Leave a comment:

• sickpuppy
    replied
    The amount of women on here is the equivalent to the number of days in a week that I don't tinker with HS... i.e., 0. Any woman on here is on here because her baby boomer tinkerer husband (<cough> Pete <cough> ) kicked the bucket and she wants to take her HS system apart to get the house back in working order to be able to sell it. As a side, I bet if you ask how many millennials there are on here, the number will only be slightly more. Millennials are over on the cloud-based forums, as generally, they have a hard time telling you the difference between a light switch and a socket, let alone being able to swap out a light switch, as their ability to use a screw driver and common sense is limited. Yes yes, there are exceptions, but these are your HS demographics here: 99% male, either mid-to-late baby boomer or Gen-X. That is why from the very beginning when I jumped into HS I was concerned about the longevity of this platform knowing how difficult it is to capture the younger market - I hope that when the day comes that HS shuts down that its phone-home feature (which Rich does not go into detail about), will not prevent us from running HS in perpetuity even without the home office.

Leave a comment:

• JimSpy
    replied
    Originally posted by Stuart View Post
    my Wife is the one that got me started on this was back. While I had X10 I then moved over to the jds time commander, then Homeseer and the Ocelot, which was the Cpu-xa in those days. And while she still has no knowledge of how this works the same story comes up. What If I go first.... I told her here is how to reboot and as long as it keeps working leave it alone. If and then If it stops working then have a field day ripping it all out...
    Stuart
    Oh, my wife has the screwdriver in hand already, and if I don't fix some of these problems, she's going to rip it out while I'm still breathing!

JDS Time Commander......why does that sound so familiar? I've been at this since the mid-1980s. I like to joke that I go all the way back to X-9! (And it's really not a joke!)

Leave a comment:

• Stuart
    replied
    my Wife is the one that got me started on this was back. While I had X10 I then moved over to the jds time commander, then Homeseer and the Ocelot, which was the Cpu-xa in those days. And while she still has no knowledge of how this works the same story comes up. What If I go first.... I told her here is how to reboot and as long as it keeps working leave it alone. If and then If it stops working then have a field day ripping it all out...
    Stuart

Leave a comment:

• drparker151
    replied

So females are less inclined to spend money on frivolous stuff like making your house easier to live in....saving it for more practical things like their 87th pair of shoes, right?

(Ladies, please send your responses to drparker151, I'm just the interpreter!)
    Wrong interpretation. (do you have a shoe problem in your house?)

The thought is that anybody (male or female) looking at a new hobby will start small with smaller investments. Only after they get hooked do they jump into the deep end and start serious spending.

Leave a comment:

• Dan-O
    replied
    "Pish-tush, woman. Nothing EVER goes wrong with HOMESEER!"
    Good one!

Leave a comment:

• JimSpy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Over the years here on the Homeseer forum seen about 3 women. I helped one women with her Homeseer configuration in the house.

She was transitioning from Homeseer 2 running on a Homeseer 2 XPe embedded controller to same for Homeseer 3. I was very impressed with her knowledgebase of Homeseer. She was in her late 70's and a widow. We spent a few hours for a few days doing a few Teamviewer sessions. She learned everything from her late husband.
    Now that's fascinating.

My own wife keeps complaining that if I go first, she won't know how to control the lights. I told her the whole point of my tinkering is so she DOESN'T HAVE TO KNOW how to control the lights, they will control themselves!

"But what if something goes wrong?"

"Pish-tush, woman. Nothing EVER goes wrong with HOMESEER!"

Leave a comment:

• JimSpy
    replied
    Originally posted by drparker151 View Post
    There were a few over on Hubitat when I was playing with that system. Might also be related to the price of admission, to go HS3 you need to be serious, whereas it's easier to be curious and play when admission price is only $100.
    So females are less inclined to spend money on frivolous stuff like making your house easier to live in....saving it for more practical things like their 87th pair of shoes, right?

(Ladies, please send your responses to drparker151, I'm just the interpreter!)

Leave a comment:

• JimSpy
    replied
    Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
    Yeah , i see a lot of post on the Alexa canada facebook page from women
    OK, but that's Facebook, and that's Alexa. Not exactly hard core.

Seeing no responses from the ladies on this more serious and well-populated forum, I take the answer to be "Home Automation may be the last purely male avocation."

I'll try again in 15 years...

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Over the years here on the Homeseer forum seen about 3 women. I helped one women with her Homeseer configuration in the house.

She was transitioning from Homeseer 2 running on a Homeseer 2 XPe embedded controller to same for Homeseer 3. I was very impressed with her knowledgebase of Homeseer. She was in her late 70's and a widow. We spent a few hours for a few days doing a few Teamviewer sessions. She learned everything from her late husband.

Leave a comment:

• Dan-O
    replied
    In all my experience I have yet to encounter a woman as interested in home automation as myself.
    My wife likes when HS is working well but a term was coined years ago on this forum, WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor

Leave a comment:

• mikepetro
    replied
    I *wish* my wife were more inclined.........
    She just wants it to work, and fusses if it doesnt.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yeah , i see a lot of post on the Alexa canada facebook page from women

Leave a comment:

• drparker151
    replied
    There were a few over on Hubitat when I was playing with that system. Might also be related to the price of admission, to go HS3 you need to be serious, whereas it's easier to be curious and play when admission price is only $100.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X