Sheffield bomber crash: Flypast on 75th anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheffield bomber crash: Flypast on 75th anniversary

Thousands of people cheered a flypast honouring 10 airmen who died when their plane crashed in a park 75 years ago.

The US bomber came down in Endcliffe Park, Sheffield on 22 February 1944, killing everyone on board.

A campaign for a flypast started after a chance meeting between BBC Breakfast presenter Dan Walker and Tony Foulds, who tends a park memorial.

A tearful Mr Foulds was given a rousing round of applause as the planes flew over. He said: "This is unbelievable."

Relatives of the aircrew and thousands of people from across Britain paid their respects as the planes roared over the memorial at about 08:45 GMT.

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Mr Foulds told the crowds: "Thank you very much for coming, it's lovely to see you."

Mr Foulds also met the families of some of the airmen who lost their lives in the crash 75 years ago and said they were "lovely, lovely people".

He added: "I never thought I would ever meet any of the families of this pilot and crew."

The flypast proved an emotional moment for Mr Walker, who is currently training for a Sport Relief Challenge in Tanzania.

He managed to watch the event and tweeted: "I can't talk."

The flypast involved military aircraft from Britain and the United States, who set off from RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk - home to the largest US Air Force base in the UK.

Speaking in Tanzania, Mr Walker told Mr Foulds: "The last six weeks have been remarkable from my point of view.

"I know you jokingly asked everybody for a tenner who are there at the park today, but it's not about the money, it's never been about you.

"Tony, it's always been about those 10 men who you think saved your life 75 years ago."

Mr Foulds said he and the other children were in the park 75 years ago because boys from two rival junior schools were fighting.

Of the airmen on board the B-17 Flying Fortress, known as Mi Amigo, he said: "If it hadn't been for them, I wouldn't be here with my family.

"It's more than bravery, what they did. They saved me, and I mean saved me.

"These are now part of my family, my ashes are going to be put by the memorial. I might as well stay with them, you know."
    Image caption All 10 airmen who were on board the B-17 Flying Fortress were killed on 22 February 1944

Mr Walker, who met Mr Foulds while he was walking his dog in the park, described him as an "amazing man" after hearing his story in early January.

Mr Foulds was eight when he witnessed Mi Amigo crash and explode in the park as the pilot apparently tried to avoid him and his friends.

A social media-led campaign subsequently went transatlantic and a flypast was successfully organised along with new steps and a flagpole for the crash memorial.

As the flypast took place wreaths were laid at the graves of three of the American airmen who died in the crash.

Three of the 10 crew of the B-17 Flying Fortress, Mi Amigo, are interred at Cambridge American Cemetery.

The headstones of Staff Sergeant Harry W Estabrooks, Sergeant Maurice D Robbins and Sergeant Charles H Tuttle were dressed on Friday with sand from Omaha Beach in Normandy, France.
    Image caption Huge crowds gathered in Endcliffe Park

Mr Foulds said he felt responsible, because the plane was trying to avoid crashing into him.

Referring to his regular visits to the memorial, he said: "They are my family. I love them to pieces.

"If I go on holiday I always make sure my son goes to visit. I always tell them how I am, what I'm doing, what the weather's like."

Julia Johnson, who was among the crowds, said she had cried when she heard Mr Foulds' story and travelled up from London for the event.

Ms Johnson said: "I saw the article on the BBC website about Tony and the hard work and felt I really wanted to be here on the day, regardless of the flypast."

The florist said she had also offered to make a wreath for the servicemen who died in the crash.
    Image copyright Danny Lawson/PA Wire
    Image caption Mr Foulds regularly tends to the park's memorial and regards the American men who lost their lives as "family"
    The 10 men killed in the crash:

Pilot Lt John Kriegshauser, pilot from Missouri

2nd Lt Lyle Curtis, co-pilot from Idaho

2nd Lt John Humphrey, navigator from Illinois

Melchor Hernandez, bombardier from California

Harry Estabrooks, engineer and gunner from Kansas

Charles Tuttle, gunner from Kentucky

Robert Mayfield, radio operator from Illinois

Vito Ambrosio, gunner from New York

Malcolm Williams, gunner from Oklahoma

Maurice Robbins, gunner from Texas

Capt Lauren Schlichting, a F-15E Strike Eagle pilot who took part in the flypast, said: "We definitely don't take it lightly to be able to honour those who came before us and we're happy to do it."

Lt Andrew Knighten, weapons systems officer in the F-15E, said: "It's pretty humbling, honestly, just for everyone that's gone before us and for us to get to fly over and just honour them."
    Image copyright Dave Higgens/PA Wire
    Image caption The 10 men who died were all aged between 21-24
    Planes that took part in the flypast

F-15E Strike Eagles from RAF Lakenheath
    KC-135 Stratotanker
    MC-130J Commando II
    CV-22 Osprey from RAF Mildenhall
    Typhoon from RAF Coningsby
    Dakota from RAF Coningsby
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

thanks for sharing

Comment

Great story. No one would even think about that crew if it wasn't for Mr. Foulds. It is interesting and cool that he feels responsible for them. THANKS for posting this!

Comment

Working...
      X