say goodby to 1gb..well partly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

say goodby to 1gb..well partly

so I was on craigslist and perusing.. found something I was interested in and set a meetup.
    I ended up buying a xeon machine from the guy as he had like 8. he said they were all hp z400 but he didn't realize he had an hp z420 in the mix. I let him know but he said.. no big deal, they are all the same so take whichever you want... NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!! hah.. so I let him know my conscience is clear..

so he then says.. I have a box of these cards and cables.. $25 if you want them. I look in and take the p/n to google. quick search..
    HP InfiniBand 20gb dual port cards... so why not..

well long story short, I learned how to flash firmware on IB cards, got them running as ethernet and BOOM... 10gb baby!!!!
    oh went onto ebay and offered $50 for a 6 port switch someone had for $75... hp procurve 6400cl...

all up and running..
    ESXI 6.7 - will only see this card as ethernet..
    Freenas
    Plex on win10
    Server 2019
    Gaming rig win10
    and a port open!!!!!

LOOK AT THIS BABY FLY!!!! LOL

HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

1 gb sec of real transfert rate... omg. that's my dream haha.. i see 112mb-115mb since a longgggg time

Comment

What's your hdd /ssd setup?

will you have a quadro card? i saw on the net that they are very helpfull for plex transcoding.

edit: you're right... they are not the same hardware at all haha

Comment

so on my gaming rig.. I am running 2x NVME... btw not sure if you saw it but WD is coming out with an NVME Blue !!!! while the blue drives are typically horrible for speed..these are still NVME and still way faster than SSD!!!!

so I can copy files between them at 1.3GB/s

my server you saw me copying too is Server 2019 running stablebit drive pool. LOVE THAT!!!!

stablebit drive pool lets you essentially create a raid across different size drives. I call it a file raid as it doesn't stripe across...
        in addition if the machine goes down, you just put the drives into another machine and access the files from a hidden share... so nice in case the machine goes down.
        only $20!!! when I bought it... not sure how much it is now..

but to ask my drive setup.. I have 2 pools..

an SSD and a SATA.
        you saw me copying to SSD.

I use the SSD to copy to for stuff that needs quick copying too then I move it to SATA and let it go.

still testing backing up to the SSD pool. seems it takes forever still, almost like there is a problem with the actual Veritas System Recovery software being the bottleneck.
        took 89minutes to backup 89GB.. should of been more so 90 seconds.. heck id live with 5 minutes... LOL

oh and the sata pool has an ssd drive as cache... another free plugin they created.... gotta test that part again now that I have it all running.
        software says trial but i just got it going as i had a license issue. you need to uninstall before you decom a machine and i forgot...
        but all good now..
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
        X