Pi-Hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pi-Hole

So, I bought my first Raspberry Pi and in the process of my research on the device, I saw a list of projects that included whole LAN web advertisements blocker, namely, Pi-Hole (Pi-Hole.net). I thought I would mention it here, because it is easy to implement and it is positively brilliant!
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

I've been running a Pi-Hole for months and it's great! Highly recommended!
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
      I've been running a Pi-Hole for months and it's great! Highly recommended!
      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

In fact you can run a lot more stuff like Node-RED, MQTT ......etc on the same PI (R PI 3B/B+) and it wont break a sweat!! Just don't load it with USB devices!

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

I'm going to build a Raspbee gateway. Any issue installing a pie hole on the same device?

Comment

Originally posted by NetworkGuy View Post
            I'm going to build a Raspbee gateway. Any issue installing a pie hole on the same device?
            If you mean this one : https://www.amazon.co.uk/RaspBee-Gat.../dp/B00IMY4CS2 then there should be no problem as long as they are not communicating from the same ports.

Eman.
            TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post

If you mean this one : https://www.amazon.co.uk/RaspBee-Gat.../dp/B00IMY4CS2 then there should be no problem as long as they are not communicating from the same ports.

Eman.
              Thanks Eman. That's the device, but it's no longer available, so I bought a CanaKit Pi 3B+ Starter Kit and the Raspbee Premium HAT. I also downloaded the gateway image from the Dresden site. I haven't gotten too far, but I will burn that image to an SDCard, which I think should get me to the Raspbee Gateway - baring any unforeseen software issues with my process anyway. From the discussion above, I would then like to try installing Pi-Hole. I've read a bit about something similar that can be done with my DD-WRT router, but didn't pursue it thus far. The Pi-Hole sounds a bit easier and appears to be a great use of a Pi! Seems like a no-brainer if it works. :-)

Comment

As eman said, just make sure that you change deconz http port to something else than 80.

pihole use port 80. You can change it , but when it will update to a new version. It will go again on port 80..

Comment

Hello guys. I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone can help me.

I ran my HS4 on an Win10 Pro Laptop. I decided to install Pihole on it (late in the game). I did change the port during installation to 81, but whenever I try to access it's admin page, I get a 403 forbidden... Any help?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Alcaloide View Post
                    Hello guys. I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone can help me.

I ran my HS4 on an Win10 Pro Laptop. I decided to install Pihole on it (late in the game). I did change the port during installation to 81, but whenever I try to access it's admin page, I get a 403 forbidden... Any help?

Thanks in advance
                    I never installed PiHole on Windows. I had installed it on an RPi. In any case, I abandoned PiHole in favor of pfSense years ago. So, I'm sorry that I cannot help. Hopefully, someone else on this board can.

Comment

You need to add /admin to access the admin web interface on newer versions... I found it.

Anyways, does pfSense blocks ads better than pihole? In your experience? I invested on synology routers (have 5 in my house) due to their software and wonder if pfsense would complement it or take its place.,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Alcaloide View Post
                        You need to add /admin to access the admin web interface on newer versions... I found it.

Anyways, does pfSense blocks ads better than pihole? In your experience? I invested on synology routers (have 5 in my house) due to their software and wonder if pfsense would complement it or take its place.,,,
                        Glad you got that fixed. pfSense is more than an ad blocker. It is a very robust firewall. The software can be set up on any CPU, which would be standalone. It then acts as a router. For me there was a steep learning curve, but worth the effort. There are some incredible experts on this board regarding pfSense, especially Pete:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...sense-firewall

Comment

I set up PiHole on my sinology NAS, however it blocked too many things I wanted to see - so I stopped using it!

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
                            I set up PiHole on my sinology NAS, however it blocked too many things I wanted to see - so I stopped using it!
                            Ahhh, What type of things were you trying to see?

I love Pi-hole. Very seldom see ads. Yes, it will block some things you want to see. Just need to go to the pi-hole console and temp shut it off or whitelist site.
                            You also tend to forget that ads exist, but when I 'surf' at work, I quickly get reminded that ads exist.

Comment

Thanks you guys. I will try to read about it...

When you say standalone, I imagine the machine running it should not have Homeseer, for example, running too, is that right?

Comment

Working...
                              X