Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new router - have a Cisco

Guys,
    I believe my 6 year old wireless router is dying as it's just dropping connections and I'm having to reboot it several times a day. So what do you guys recommend as a decent priced router? I'm seeing several in the sub $100 range but I'm out of touch on what the latest router technologies.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Unifi USG :-)

Comment

Originally posted by usLEDsupply View Post
      Unifi USG :-)
      Is NOT a wireless router.

Rupp are you looking for a all in one Wifi + router or just a Wifi Access Point or just a router? Bunch of tech geeks here so specifics help

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

Is NOT a wireless router.

Rupp are you looking for a all in one Wifi + router or just a Wifi Access Point or just a router? Bunch of tech geeks here so specifics help
        All in one - WIFI router.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Just pair it with a UNIFI AP-AC-Pro :-) I have 3 scattered around my place to get great wifi within 400ft of the house in all directions but i understand if you want an all in one device and i'm sure someone will chime in

Comment

Originally posted by usLEDsupply View Post
            Just pair it with a UNIFI AP-AC-Pro :-) I have 3 scattered around my place to get great wifi within 400ft of the house in all directions but i understand if you want an all in one device and i'm sure someone will chime in
            Although I do agree with this it is a rather expensive setup. I have a similar setup but not with a USG (at the moment, in the plans).

Depending in price range the off the shelf D-Link, Netgear, Linksys (now Cisco) are all about the same for "consumer" features. I would recommend picking one with built in VPN functionality if you ever decide to have direct to home access without port forwarding. Otherwise the next step would be into the mid-range business class setups like what was suggested with the USG.

Comment

I would go with an a la carte separate set up that you own and not rent from your ISP provider.

Just switched family member from using the combo with hardware ISP package to all separates. (including an Ooma VOIP box).

$250 per month to now $50 per month plus a DTV package. (Internet Netflix and Amazon AOD plus some streaming TV channels).

ISP Modem ==> personal firewall ==> personal managed switch and personal POE connected wireless access point (s).

Newest cable modem with 32/8 channels is the SB-6190...which will do Gb just fine. Lists around $100 - got mine here for $50 new (Costco special)

Click image for larger version  Name:	arris.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.7 KB ID:	1298921

A good and cheap personal firewall is the Mikrotek....MikroTik Routers

Just purchased one new old stock for less than $50. Note this is for a family member as I utilize PFSense here. You can get these from Amazon or Ebay or website new.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mikrotek.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.2 KB ID:	1298922

POE WAP (wireless access point) ....personally been using Ubiquiti here...just recently am trying a Ruckus WAP (which I got new old stock) and it works well and got it for less than $50. This are at $276 on Amazon. Installed in a closet in the center main floor of a two story home. Works great and you do not see it which I like.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ruckus.jpg Views:	1 Size:	25.1 KB ID:	1298923

BTW Rupp what ISP are you using there?

Geez weird weather here this morning in the Midwest...snow, thunder and lightning this morning...

xxxx
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
              X