• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mr.Magoo
    replied
    As my dad always said - locks are for honest people

Personally I see any security system as:
    A) Deterrent - hopefully they'll pick another house
    B) Notification - In the event they don't at least I know it happened and I can send someone over to board it up if I'm not in the area.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Originally posted by macromark View Post

lol. There was an article years ago that featured someone with HS2 hacking a Z-Wave lock on someone's house. Of course, they'd have to be in range of the Z-Wave network and would have to have a packet sniffing tool to monitor the transmissions and they'd have to have a high level of Z-Wave knowledge to pull it all off. So basically, it was a completely implausible reality. Crowbars are cheaper, quicker and they don't require any tech knowledge.
    I spent a couple of years doing ride alongs with a Dallas police officer almost every Saturday night. Out of all the burglary calls we answered, it was either smash and grab or through an unlocked door or open window. It was surprising how many people would leave a back or side door or window unlocked or open. If it was a smash and grab it was usually a window or door in the back of the house, mostly sliding doors or broken windows.

Leave a comment:

• macromark
    replied
    Originally posted by rprade View Post
    Seems like you missed the point of Mark's post.
    lol. There was an article years ago that featured someone with HS2 hacking a Z-Wave lock on someone's house. Of course, they'd have to be in range of the Z-Wave network and would have to have a packet sniffing tool to monitor the transmissions and they'd have to have a high level of Z-Wave knowledge to pull it all off. So basically, it was a completely implausible reality. Crowbars are cheaper, quicker and they don't require any tech knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post
    Yeah my UPS sends me an email alert anytime there's anything wrong with the power or the battery ...

I really should get a fallback cellular modem though.
    Seems like you missed the point of Mark's post.

Leave a comment:

• Fellhahn
    replied
    Yeah my UPS sends me an email alert anytime there's anything wrong with the power or the battery ...

I really should get a fallback cellular modem though.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Alarm.PNG
Views:	261
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	1324235

Leave a comment:

• Krumpy
    replied
    And why wouldn’t there be battery and cellular backup to the security system?

What would probably happen is a security update would cause a blue screen from the high current flow when the battery kicks in.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Preachin’ To the choir

Sophisticated burglaries of homes (not smash and grab) are vanishingly small as a portion of the whole. The biggest deterrents to burglary are obvious cameras and obvious security systems.

Leave a comment:

• macromark
    started a topic The Focus On Security

The Focus On Security

LOL... have been saying this for years!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Security.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.4 KB ID:	1324121

http://www.commitstrip.com/en/2019/0...achilles-heel/
Working...
X