Smoke Pencil - Fog Juice, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke Pencil - Fog Juice, etc.

What does anyone here use for pin-pointing air drafts?
    I'm sealing my rim-joist area and unfinished walls here in the Midwest.
    Using an infrared thermometer has been helpful - but I'm looking to hear from those who use / have used "smoke" products to visualize the air.
    So far - Google has led me to the "Smoke Pencil" and various "Fog Juice" type solutions, which might be fine.
    All comments appreciated.

If you have access to an old iPhone 5S then you could consider buying a $99 1st generation thermal imaging sensor expansion for it. This will allow you not only to look for air-drafts, but also cold areas in general, broken thermopane windows, missing wall insulation, and "see through walls" even to locate rodent nests. They got 3rd generation models now for $199 that work on either new iOS phones, or Android USB-C models, but that depends if you got access to a modern phone.

I've used the 1st gen myself for years with fun results, and eyeing the 3rd gen Pro model for quadruple the resolution, but not in a rush to buy it.

Used to do yellow smoke before to verify airflow in PC cases, but thermal camera makes it so much easier.

Guess it all depends on your budget, and if the added features could be worth it for you (or resell it after you used it).

Comment

This one has been useful to me.
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      I got it years ago, so they may be better low cost choices now.

I've also used a thermal (FLIR) camera from work. Both are useful in different ways. In my opinion, one does not replace the need for the other.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
        If you have access to an old iPhone 5S then you could consider buying a $99 1st generation thermal imaging sensor expansion for it. This will allow you not only to look for air-drafts, but also cold areas in general, broken thermopane windows, missing wall insulation, and "see through walls" even to locate rodent nests. They got 3rd generation models now for $199 that work on either new iOS phones, or Android USB-C models, but that depends if you got access to a modern phone.

I've used the 1st gen myself for years with fun results, and eyeing the 3rd gen Pro model for quadruple the resolution, but not in a rush to buy it.

Used to do yellow smoke before to verify airflow in PC cases, but thermal camera makes it so much easier.

Guess it all depends on your budget, and if the added features could be worth it for you (or resell it after you used it).
        RoChess
        I'll go research this - I have iPhone 6 spare, does it work with that?
        Thanks

Edit - Is this one similar to what you were eyeing?
        https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Imagi.../dp/B072J49BX7

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post
          This one has been useful to me.
          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          I got it years ago, so they may be better low cost choices now.

I've also used a thermal (FLIR) camera from work. Both are useful in different ways. In my opinion, one does not replace the need for the other.
          Yep - that's the one I was looking at. ~50 not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post

RoChess
            I'll go research this - I have iPhone 6 spare, does it work with that?
            Thanks
            That should work for 1st gen for sure as that's the one I use on a 5S, but new 3rd gen one will work on your 6 as per: https://www.flir.com/support-center/...compatibility/

Not even sure you can get 1st gen ones anymore, as the $99 listing I found was a fake one, and also required manual calibration, so I'd definitely recommend 3rd gen if $200 is in your budget.

Smoke is obviously cheaper, but thermal is pretty awesome, and have used it to fix PC case hotspots, locate rodents, spot exhaust failure point quickly on a car, improve home energy efficiency, dominate during hide-and-seek, and other fun

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post

Smoke is obviously cheaper, but thermal is pretty awesome, and have used it to fix PC case hotspots, locate rodents, spot exhaust failure point quickly on a car, improve home energy efficiency, dominate during hide-and-seek, and other fun
              You are correct! I got a FLIR ONE pro and it is awesome! Using it for everything but the reason I bought it, lol!

Picture is part of my home auto setup - side view of two Russound heat monsters. A project that got lost in the wayside, they draw 40 watts each, continuous. Have to replace them with amps that draw less power in standby mode - thanks for the suggestion.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X