Robot Vacuum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robot Vacuum

I currently have a Neato D3 vacuum. I find it works pretty well in the basement. There's less traffic and less debris. On the main level it works OK but don't find it picks up everything and gets stuck often. I want to buy a second one so I can keep the D3 downstairs. For the main floor I was looking at the Roomba I7 with the dirt disposal bin or the Shark IQ that also has dirt disposal bin. The Roomba is $1,200.00 and the shark is $650.00(Canadian). All the reviews I read seem to give the edge to Roomba, but is it really worth almost double the price? If I'm mostly satisfied with the D3 which is a lower end Vacuum I think I will be happy with the Shark. I just don't want to regret not going for the Roomba later.

We just bought a Roomba 960 two weeks ago. Couldn't justify the price of a stud cleaning bin. We have a black lab and run the unit daily. It cleans about 550 sq ft every day. It does do a mapped cleaning but doesn't have a smart map, meaning you cannot have it clean just a specific room. The map just allows the unit to make sure it cleans the entire area.

In two weeks the unit was stuck twice. Both times were learning experiences on our end and we have made minor changes, such as moving a basket holding the dog's toys for one.

So bottom line, look at the "lower end" Roombas. Yes, auto bin cleaning would be nice but it is a much larger base. How hard is it to clean the bin? We do it daily but it takes 10-15 seconds.
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

The bin is probably not all that necessary as I have not pets and no kids. The Roomba 960 would still be more expensive than the Shark with the bin. Again the bin not necessary but would be a nice addition. I'm sure Shark or other brands have comparable units to the 960 that again would be 1/2 the price of a Roomba. I'm sure the Roomba is a great machine I'm just not sure if it's above and beyond all others on the market. If they were priced 10-15% higher I could probably justified. 50% is a lot to justify. However just don't want to look back in month and say "you should have paid the extra $$ for the Roomba".

Comment

As you very well know. Don't forget to highly consider the surface you are cleaning. Solid surface vs carpet. I have a D5. It runs daily on solid surface about 500 sq ft or so. Once it did the "map" it does not get stuck and does not bang into everything. (Mind you as long as chairs, stools, etc are not moved.) Does a great job for my needs. One occupant with one set of 4 paws in and out ALOT. (no hair issue though)

One thing I do wish it had is "zones" to go along with the maps. D7 does have that function now if I am not mistaken.
        I agree with ksum, bin cleaning/dumping is a very quick non issue daily for me as well.

Comment

No carpets. One of the places that my current one gets stuck is on a floor register. They are all the same around the house but for some reason always gets stuck on the same one. And it's not in a corner or anything, against the wall in the middle of the span just like every other. If this keeps being an issue I may try a flatter register.

I think that 2 issues contributing to the fact that it doesn't clean as well as I would like is because i have the D3 which has no side brush and the edges are the problem areas. Also because I move it from main floor to basement and I like to put my chairs on top of dining room table and island I don't run it on a schedule, and so it doesn't run every day. Maybe if I had 2 and just run them daily it wouldn't get a chance to accumulate any dirt/dust and would be more efficient. If I forget to move the chairs it would still clean around it.

Comment

I have roborock S5 and a neato botvac. The roborock is head and shoulders above the neato for cleaning, battery life, and obstacle avoidance. The reviews I have seen this year give the edge to the debot 950 as being king. There is not enough different between roborock S5 and S6 to justify the higher price of the S6.

The only issue I have with roborock S5 is that the mop reservoir last for only about 30 mins vs. the couple hours for the vacuum part to clean the house. I got my roborock from Gearbest as a Chinese model so needed a travel plug to adapt to US power receptacle and did a firmware update to change the language to English. I see that Amazon now has the roborock S5 for $350 which is about $50 more than I paid last year from Gearbest.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
              I have roborock S5 and a neato botvac. The roborock is head and shoulders above the neato for cleaning, battery life, and obstacle avoidance. The reviews I have seen this year give the edge to the debot 950 as being king. There is not enough different between roborock S5 and S6 to justify the higher price of the S6.

The only issue I have with roborock S5 is that the mop reservoir last for only about 30 mins vs. the couple hours for the vacuum part to clean the house. I got my roborock from Gearbest as a Chinese model so needed a travel plug to adapt to US power receptacle and did a firmware update to change the language to English. I see that Amazon now has the roborock S5 for $350 which is about $50 more than I paid last year from Gearbest.
              Wow, wasn't even aware they made combo mop/vacuum. Was going to look at mop bot after I bought the vacuum. How good is the mopping aspect of it?

Comment

If you are looking at a mop bot as well, the Roomba can be configured to have a mop run after the vacuum finishes. This requires both to be Roomba brand. Of course, if you have HomeSeer plugins you could do that as well. Or try to time the mop after the vac should be finished.
                Karl S
                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                1070 Devices
                56 Z-Wave Nodes
                104 Events
                HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

The Shark IQ basically has a 90 day risk free trial period. If you get it and don't think it cleans good enough, send it back for a full refund. The reviews I've seen place it on par with or slightly ahead of the Roomba I7. We own 3 of the I7s and they do a superb job, no doubt. And the self-cleaning bin is a very nice feature and to me it's a convenience I'm willing to pay extra for. But if we decide to add another vacuum or replace one of the older Roomba models we have, then I plan to give the Shark IQ a try. At $450 US, the price is too attractive to ignore.

--Barry

Comment

if you want a scrubbing mop get the little one from Roomba which I think is called Bravia. most other robot mops are like wet rags that wipe up dust from the floor. They have a water reservoir with a dispensing mechanism that keeps the cloth damp. The vacuum part is in the front and the mopping part is in the back.

I use it in a desert climate when the tile floor gets dusty. It would not work well in a mud room or in areas that are carpet.

Comment

Is there no HS plugin for Shark vacuums? I didn't find any.

Comment

We have this Xiaomi unit and are very happy with it. It's very intelligent when mapping out the rooms and you can use their app to setup area cleanings. They are on Amazon for only $333 https://www.amazon.com/Xiaomi-Distan...4347259&sr=8-3

They also make models with vacuum and mop combo for hard wood floors.

Comment

I almost bought the Roborock S5 earlier this year but have been holding out for the S6. I think I'm going to order it soon. I've waited long enough.

Comment

The comparison I saw between S5 and S6 is they lowered the suction to increase battery life in S6. With regular firmware updates to my S5 I do not see where the additional cost of S6 is justified.

Comment

so in our area.. there is a Kohls... great store as we buy pretty much all of our clothing, vacuums, etc there. They send out coupons and we get 10%, 15%, 20%... and we laugh.. we are like.. ok you data gathering *@#$, you know we wait... then BOOM 30% off.. .LOL...

well we bought 2x Roomba 895's... normally $6xx each. got 30% off, plus they were on sale already... got them for $600 for 2 AND we got $10 kohls cash per $50.. so essentially, while it didnt come off the bill as you have to use it later, we got $120 free cash... so we went back and bought other stuff and didnt go over that... so... is what it is..

and we love them.
                              Wonderbot is upstairs on 2nd floor
                              Aunt Fanny is on ground floor

every now and then we move them to the same floor and have double duty. We have 2x dogs and 2x cats and 2x kids (well 1 just moved out).. and we empty the bins ALL THE TIME!!!!

BLRoombaWifi is AWESOME!!! Just installed it but even before that...

Ok google start Aunt Fanny and boom off she goes... get iRoomba app alerts when its stuck, needs bin emptied, etc... so will look at doing something with blades pi and alerts next...

so nice as we just let these go and really dont vacuum anymore, as they do it.. we have all hardwood floors with area rugs and they work great...
                              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
                              X