Chronically confused about relays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chronically confused about relays

My ultimate goal is to control my floor heating with homeseer. It's a thermostat from WarmUp.

I was hoping to use a qubino relay of some sort but I'm getting confused about the term dry contact. They have many different relays and I'm not sure where to start.

The thermostat has only a load / line / neutral with a built in gfci. I don't want to replace the thermostat, only add z wave control.

I've attached the installation manual for the thermostat. The qubino catalog was too large to upload. I'm considering the Flush 1 relay, the Flush 1D relay, Flush on/Off Thermostat 2.

I also plan to use a separate homeseer floor sensor for temperature based events. The qubino temp sensor is too short for my use.

Thank you,

Devan
    Attached Files

Unfortunately a Z-Wave relay will not work. The thermostat is rated at 15A and 3600W. In order to get 3600W out of 15A it would have to be at 240V. The Aeotec heavy duty smart switch DSC078 will handle it, there may be others.
    Randy Prade
    Aurora, CO
    Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Bummer. Although the thermostat is capable of using 240V, I'm only using a 120V and a neutral. I'm reading that the maximum wattage of such a setup is about 1440 watts.

If I measure the voltage and amps and find it less that 2300W, could I still use a relay? If I did, would I lose the functioning thermostat?

Thanks,

Devan

Comment

The Zooz ZEN15 is rated for 15A (1800W) at 120V, it would handle anything the thermostat would at 120V. It would control the heater, but as far as your current thermostat, it would depend on how you want to use it. You could use the Zooz to turn the supply to the thermostat off. There would be no way to use the thermostat interactively with the Zooz module. Or you could install a Z-Wave thermostat, then use it to control the Zooz which in turn controlled the heater.
        Randy Prade
        Aurora, CO
        Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Originally posted by devanb View Post
          My ultimate goal is to control my floor heating with homeseer.
          Decaseer, I would not recommend controlling heating directly with homeseer. HS is VERY reliable but what if your controller crashes while the heat command is ON.

I agree with rprade that controlling the thermostat who is controlling the heating is a better and also much safer approach. The challenge however is to find a GFCI Z-Wave thermostat as GFCI is usually mandatory for floor heating. Moving the GFCI aspect to the main panel can be costly and might not even be acceptable (to be verified based on location). I so far did not stumbled on a GFCI Z-Wave T-Stat. Sinopé makes a very good Zigbee version

Comment

Working...
          X