Chronically confused about relays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michel,

I called support at Sinopé and their answer was simply: "TH1300ZB is not compatible with HomeSeer"
    I understand they must be careful about compatibility with others...

But it looks like it can really work

So, I ordered a TH1300ZB thermostat
    Thanks I got 15% off

I have nothing Zigbee so far on my HS4 v4.1.15.0

I could order Nortek HUSBZB-1 Zigbee & Z-Wave Plus USB Interface
    But, ordering from Canada is quite costly (49 $ USD plus 100 $ USD for shipping !!!)
    I guess it is the simplest method
    Will the TH1300ZB work with HomeSeer basic Zigbee plugin 4.0.8.0?

Should I use the Sinopé GT130 Gateway instead?
    I like it's ethernet connection (compared to USB)
    Is device management done by HS4 (like Z-Wave) or do I need another layer that talks to the GT130?
    Can I add other Zigbee devices even not Sinopé?
    I read that GT130 is "internet dependent", true? This means it does not work if Internet is down!

Better alternatives?

Some current forum discussions are a bit scary...
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...cognized/page5

Thank-You

André

Comment

Hi André,

Right now, the GT-130 and HS4 cannot communicate together. In order to do so a few things would need to happen :
      1. Sinopé would need to update their API
      2. The Sinopé Plug-in would need to be update to work with that refreshed API
      I don't see any of these two happening shortly.

The GT-130 only works with the Sinopé product line so it is not an option to add Zigbee compatibility to HS4. In my case, I bought the GT-130 for when I will have to sell our place and hand a stand alone system to the future owner.

If you want to go with the Nortek USB key, you may want to look here. HOWEVER, before doing so, I would check with spud if the HS free Zigbee plugin supports that thermostat since it is still in an early stage. Spud is a Montreal community member who developed the original and previous generation Sinopé plug-in for the GT-125 and he now works for Homeseer. Therefore he knows pretty well the Sinopé thermostat while having an insight of where HS stands with Zigbee support.

If you are interested in the Con Bee approach, you may try to contact zguy who I think got things working with this USB key along with the $39.99 USD JowiHue plug-in. When I looked at it I was also not so sure if I wanted to dive in that pool.

As mentioned previously, I personally went with the Hubitat. You may want to bookmark this Canadian vendor for the future as they provide many components, in decent CAD pricing and much better shipping fees for us, on this side of the border. The Device is $179 CAD but the Plug-in is free. Hubitat has a long list of compatible devices but once it gets linked in HS, there is sometime initial adjustment to be made by the developer Michael McSharry as the plug-in attempts to link and map devices base on sets of Zigbee capabilities in Hubitat that are not always quite easy to map in HS. But once it is done, it works well. (see attached images)

Since Hubitat is not only a gateway but rather a controller, it also open doors for having some logic ran on the Hubitat. I might use an approach where Hubitat assures some vital function shall HS crash unattended.

The bottom line is that like everything else in home automation, there is not a fit all solution. It's always a matter of what you want to do, how much you want to pay and what technology you are having more fun with.

Let me know how it goes.
      Attached Files

Comment

Michel

I think the Nortek USB key is the easiest route. I suppose that Zigbee devices are added and handled by HS4 the same way as Z-Wave devices.
        Since I am getting pretty good now with various Z-Wave stuff in HS4, it seems to me a better approach than going with another layer (gateway...).

I was quite happy with HS3 reliability and, more recently, with HS4 (Win10 is the weak link, so far...)
        I avoid using it for critical applications
        So, adding the Hubitat gateway - controller is not so attractive to me... (maybe I am wrong)

I use a Siemens S7-1200 PLC for an elaborate water pumping and treatment system, for example...
        And I want to hook it up to HS4 one day for status and option selection. That is another story...

Now, I need to make sure that the combination TH1300ZB - Nortek USB key - HS free Zigbee plugin will support, at least, temperature set point changes
        I will follow your suggestion and contact Spud

Thank-You

André

spud

I need your advice about the best way to connect Sinopé TH1300ZB thermostat to HS4 Pro.
        Please take a moment to read this post and maybe previous

I have the new thermostat delivered next week
        I can order the Nortek USB key from Aartech at a reasonable price

Thank-You

André

Comment

André,

Nortek USB key : Just need to make sure that the Sinopé has been included in the Database by HS. This is what I meant by early stage. Otherwise, I'm sure HS integration will be solid as usual and setpoint changing will for sure be possible.

PLC : So you're going industrial on this one. I know there is a Modbus plugin available but haven't ran across a Profibus. But where there's a will there's a way.

Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by andredemontreal View Post

spud

I need your advice about the best way to connect Sinopé TH1300ZB thermostat to HS4 Pro.
            Please take a moment to read this post and maybe previous

I have the new thermostat delivered next week
            I can order the Nortek USB key from Aartech at a reasonable price

Thank-You

André
            Read this
            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/th...33#post1456833
            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...tat-recognized

I haven't read the whole thread on the jowihue plugin forum, but right now it looks like it's the best bet to integrate the Sinope Zigbee thermostat with HS4.

Comment

Michel

Just for your curiosity:
              Earlier Siemens PLCs (S7-300...) used Profibus DP, a powerful RS-485 network. Very good but difficult to reach without specific hardware, software and licenses...
              The S7-1200 PLC uses Profinet communication. A standard ethernet link but with powerful capabilities
              The PLC supports many protocols like ModbusTCP that I probably will use to talk to HS4
              A PLC is a bit expensive but is rock solid for critical stuff
              I played a lot with those in my automation career

So, right now it doesn't look easy to control the TH1300ZB with HS4

According to spud, the jowihue plugin along with ConBee II interface, deConz and Phoscon app are now the best way to go
              Not fully working yet but many actors are motivated to make it happen

I am undecided if I wait for results or jump into it eyes closed...

André

Comment

Originally posted by andredemontreal View Post
                Michel

So, right now it doesn't look easy to control the TH1300ZB with HS4

According to spud, the jowihue plugin along with ConBee II interface, deConz and Phoscon app are now the best way to go
                Not fully working yet but many actors are motivated to make it happen
                I'm currently controlling 3 TH1300ZB with HS4 via a Raspbee 2 Zigbee radio on a Raspberry PI, which is essentially the same as a Conbee 2 USB dongle, and the JowiHue plugin.

As Spud mentions, it's not perfect but it does the essential, e.g. setting the setpoint whenever you want.

Check this thread for more info: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...tat-recognized

Comment

Working...
                X