Consolidating multiple wall warts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consolidating multiple wall warts

So I've got about 8 wall warts attached to various pieces of equipment supporting my HA environment. I'm coming here to look for a solution to replace all the separate wall warts with one central supply which supports multiple output voltages and connector types? This seems to be a tall order. What are you guys doing for this?

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

It is a tall order which is probably one reason you do not see it commonly in use in homes. One of the problems with a centrally distributed DC power system is voltage drop from the resistance from the distribution wires. Longer wires have more resistance which impedes the electrical flow. This is the main reason Tesla's polyphase AC power system won out over Eddision's DC power system.

There are DC distribution system for houses and the idea of a hybrid houses is not new. The cost of retrofitting a house is high. Is it worth thousands of dollars to get rid of a few wall warts?

Comment

Perhaps I wasn't clear, it's not for the whole house, but rather my bench where all my HS stuff is...
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I have a 12V system (big battery + RV charger/power supply) that I use for battery backed lights (just a few critical ones) and electronics here and there. In some cases, I use 12V-to-5V USB modules (usually made for use in cars), such as for tablets.
        To wire in DC distribution, you have to know what you are doing and properly fuse it everywhere. It's not a shock hazard, but it could be a big fire hazard.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
          Perhaps I wasn't clear, it's not for the whole house, but rather my bench where all my HS stuff is...
          Okay, that's different. What are the voltages and currents of each of the eight? It might not be practical to get it down to just one, but I'd bet you could reduce the number greatly.

Comment

one central supply which supports multiple output voltages and connector types?

Here went to a 12VDC multiple outputs to 10 AMPs total. Each 12VDC output if need be goes to a DC to DC transformer (well just 5 VDC).

Using one LV for a micro modded router and another one for a GPS board.

IE: thinking it is a multiple IP camera PS with a small footprint. I also have a larger camera power supply in a case which has every output fused which I used to use.

I am doing this in my media panel where it supplies voltage to my ISP modem and VOIP box. Here just purchased the right sized barrel connectors.

Leviton sells a multiple voltage power device which has standard female coaxial connectors marked with voltage to whatever size you need of barrel connector. I have the first generation Leviton Power supply distribution board which just did 12VDC out.

You can also DIY a small PC power supply and do similar.

It is cheaper to DIY one.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have used parts like these to consolidate power supplies. The 4-way splitter is about $5 and the 2-way is about $3. 5V 10A supply is about $30 and the 12V 5A is about $25. If you are a DIY kind of guy you could make a 5 and 12 volt supply out of a PC power supply. There are even premade boards you can just plug into the PC power supply.

Click image for larger version

Name:	power.png
Views:	1012
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	1354845

Comment

Just a word of warning. Unless you use a single supply with separate DC-DC converters (Buck converters) per output, you can have all sorts of issues supplying different equipment up together with a common 0v rail.
                Jon

Comment

This is made by ELK - bonus is battery backup for your 12v devices. The model # escapes me. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1306.JPG
Views:	1024
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1354857

Comment

I think this is the kit you describe.

https://www.elkproducts.com/products...etal-enclosure

Comment

Thank guys... Good suggestions here. The tricky part is that not all devices use the same voltage levels. Perhaps consolidating a couple would help. The Elk solution looks very interesting...Love the battery backup!

Comment

The camera PS that I utilize inside of my Leviton media can has a re settable fuse per 12VDC out line.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

A long time ago I purchased a couple Maverick MPS1000 power strips. Allows me to eliminate 4 wall warts of varying dc voltages. I don't see them available now, but something like this should still exist I would think: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=1084534
                          Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X